Ok, So here is a half baked theory I was floating around in Season 1. Season 2 is complete and we got some more key pieces of info and with season 3 on the way I thought I would throw it out again.

What we "know"...
Burt had an RPG and rockets in the safe
Latch cracked open the safe
Burt, got to his store after it had been ransacked and safe cracked and looted
The mallers got the RPGs and used it on the Tower
Burt took one look at a badge on a "smart zombie" and said sommething like yup, that is a level 3 ID from Raydon Labs. You have to be pretty smart to get one of those.

What has always bothered me is that the prison is by the coast.
Locked and Loaded is inland on the other side of the valley.
The Mallers hideout is back on the coast.

Between the prison and Locked and Loaded is ground zero, right were the outbreak started.

So, the outbreak started and must have gotten to a serious boil for Scratch to walk into the prison and break everyone out. I do not care how loud she can scream or how well she was armed. You just do not flounce into a Maximum Security Prison and say Booo or even trick or treat and free everybody. If 90% of the guards run away it could be done, but it would still take a lot of time. If there is a riot outside, my guess is the prison would go to lockdown on the inside compounding the problems.

So, where is Burt?

Burt is a survivalist. He was fully geared for Y2K and the stuff was still set and ready to go. LA is literally imploding and Burt sleeps through it? Stores are being looted in the riot and Burt figures that there is no way anyone would be interested in guns at a time like this? Burt is obviously pretty busy doing something. What?

Raydon Labs. To be that familiar with the badge, my guess is he is, well, familiar with Raydon Labs. Maybe Burt was part of security for Raydon Labs. Maybe retired, works as a merc, as an advisor, something. So, he is a little tied up with Ground Zero and Raydon Labs trying to contain the outbreak in Raydon Labs before it breaks the containment of Raydon labs.

Or, we can go darker. Burt says something like. Look at the stars, now that there are a lot less of us things are going to change. The next day he sure does have fun shooting zombies and even says so. Just like Nam allover again.

We know that this outbreak was occurring all over the US and Internationally. That is a conspiracy and requires many actors. Security and IT would have to be pretty damn dumb to have a system that releases the contaigen all over the world by a single accident. These things were probably locked down with security akin to Nukes.

So, accident is probably out. Conspiracy is a good bet. If there is one thing we have learned is that for the purposes of good story-telling the laws of probability are pretty much thrown out. Things are llinked much closer than they first appear. 5+ million in LA, a group of ~40 survivors is the son of a member of another set of 500 survivors in Anahiem. Mean while, Hope escapes and hooks up with the group down south while her mother goes to directly to jail and does not collect $200. But, she does meet Datu.

Etc.

So, I am sure there are a lot more of these that have not been played.