User Tag List

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhysicsLB View Post
    Again, crafty writing on Kc's part. We don't know if saul is unaffected by ground zero due to anibiotics or inheirant immunity. Adding to the mystery without giving anything away. It's really impressive.

Also, Malador, thanks for bringing up the bit about genetic abnormalities. That's something that hasnt been considered yet. It very well could be a physical difference that kept him from turning.

So since nothing about the cause/possible immunity/cure can be determined without more information, what about ideas on what actually happening to those that ARE infected? We're seeing rapid physical mutation, coupled with mental degredation. Is there anything that has abilities close to this in the real world? How are these changes taking place? Is it a DNA weaponizing agent a-la prometheus? Or could it possibly be a parasite like resident evil 4 (i realize this throws our immunity theories out the window...)?

Ideas guys? Lets put some out there and try to narrow things down with science and stuff.
    Only rabies. I am too less of a medic or scientist to give a proper answer to your last question. But rabies ... That's at least the excuse for the Zedism in other Zombie-Stories (like WWZ) ...
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWell Liked1 year registered
    Rabies was my initial thought as well, but the specialization of certain Zeds seems to point to something else.

It's possible that ground zero has something to do with it, perhaps there is a third agent involved for the special infected? But what would cause drastic physical mutation simply by being exposed to it?
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    I had thought the same thing, since the survivors in the outlying areas had no contact with anything but biters. The only things I can think of that ground zero had that the other areas didn't were Ink, the chasms, and Radon labs.

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Rabies was my initial thought as well, but the specialization of certain Zeds seems to point to something else.

It's possible that ground zero has something to do with it, perhaps there is a third agent involved for the special infected? But what would cause drastic physical mutation simply by being exposed to it?
    Yep, either a third agent or some other special conditions unique to Ground Zero and possibly other hot spots. I keep wondering what Kalani meant by the Hawaiian zombies being meaner and nastier than the ones in L.A. (Even after being ticked, captured and held by L.A. zombies, and even seeing a Behemoth first hand.) never mentioned any special kinds in HA.
    Likes PhysicsLB liked this post
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:

A couple of times characters remarked that the special ones, Behemoths and Little Ones, look like they were never human.
    Likes PhysicsLB liked this post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredWiki AmateurWell Liked5000 Experience Points
    Thanks for this interesting thread! I wanted to throw a detail out there into the discussion to see if this matters at all. What might be the significance within these thoughts of the way alcohol fends off the zombized attackers? I'm partial to the idea that what has saved Saul and Tanya has been their antibiotics, which might point more to a bacterial infection that is spread, primarily, through the blood (and maybe also through saliva). Perhaps in its earliest stages, it was airborne, also, which could be the connection to Radon Labs (more on that in a moment). Alcohol does kill most bacteria, and if this bacterial infection has some sort of sentient properties within a body, perhaps it sensed inherently that the alcohol, though not a complete threat to the body it was in, would not allow the bacteria to spread (and if ingested could harm part of the infection within the body in which it was living. Stronger antibiotics might help resist its spread within a body, such as Saul and Tanya. A question, though: does anyone know - could an antibiotic treatment also serve as a vaccination against future bacterial attacks? Or was Saul "immune" to the ground zero sight only because he was still on his IV drip?

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    Tar Heel:
    The alcohol blocks out the smell of human pheramones. A scent camo most likely. Scent seems to be the primary sense for your typical biter, with human pheromones creating a kind of "frenzy" similar to sharks who smell blood in the water.

Your point about Saul at ground zero is something that i alluded to in a previous post: we don't know if it's inheirant immunity or if it was his IV Drip that kept him from feeling the effects.
    Likes Osiris liked this post

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    Witch_Doctor: Any thoughts on where those variants originated from? Let's not forget the runners and jumpers, and even TOWTM who DO seem to be previously human.

Of the ones that dont appear human (D.A.H.), is it a combination of zedism and the third agent or the third agent alone that creates these creatures?

Perhaps the third agent changes the original infection vector and TOWTM has figured out a way to utilize that?

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel Fan View Post
    Thanks for this interesting thread! I wanted to throw a detail out there into the discussion to see if this matters at all. What might be the significance within these thoughts of the way alcohol fends off the zombized attackers? I'm partial to the idea that what has saved Saul and Tanya has been their antibiotics, which might point more to a bacterial infection that is spread, primarily, through the blood (and maybe also through saliva). Perhaps in its earliest stages, it was airborne, also, which could be the connection to Radon Labs (more on that in a moment). Alcohol does kill most bacteria, and if this bacterial infection has some sort of sentient properties within a body, perhaps it sensed inherently that the alcohol, though not a complete threat to the body it was in, would not allow the bacteria to spread (and if ingested could harm part of the infection within the body in which it was living. Stronger antibiotics might help resist its spread within a body, such as Saul and Tanya. A question, though: does anyone know - could an antibiotic treatment also serve as a vaccination against future bacterial attacks? Or was Saul "immune" to the ground zero sight only because he was still on his IV drip?

Witch_Doctor: Any thoughts on where those variants originated from? Let's not forget the runners and jumpers, and even TOWTM who DO seem to be previously human.

Of the ones that dont appear human (D.A.H.), is it a combination of zedism and the third agent or the third agent alone that creates these creatures?

Perhaps the third agent changes the original infection vector and TOWTM has figured out a way to utilize that?

I wondered at some point if alcohol somehow inhibited the infection here are a couple of old posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Witch_Doctor View Post
    Forgiveness given

ALCOHOL!

There are a number of instances where we suspect that someone MAY become infected. To add to the mystery, we are denied information to conclude that person X was absolutely exposed. In most, not all, of those instances alcohol was involved.

1) Riley and Angel in the stack of bodies at the arena. They doused themselves with wine prior to that scene.
    2) Saul getting shot by Burt, possibly through Tommy. Saul was the drunkest dude at the party.
    3) Tanya dragged by Randy. No drinking involved. She is the outlier. This doesn't disprove the hypothesis but highlights that there could be unique circumstances concerning her that is not readily known or understood.
    4) Riley on the farm. She was tore-up from the floor-up drunk. While Kelly and Michael searched for her Kelly made a number of comments that Riley was not alone.
    a) The tracks Kelly and Michael follow diverge into two tracks.
    b) Kelly says, "The tracks might not be hers."
    c) Riley is STILL at the Weed.
    I originally suspected that Riley was being held for so long at the Weed Hospital because they discovered bites, but now we can say that that was likely not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Witch_Doctor View Post
    My point isn't that the alcohol's smell masks our heroes from the zombies but that the massive amount of alcohol in Saul's and Riley's bodies either prevented or assuaged any infection they may have gotten from an exposure to zombie blood or drool. I thought it was well established and widely accepted that the smell of alcohol masks human scent from the zombies. During the war KC pretty must nailed home the fact the Saul was drunk. A lot of story time was used focusing on Saul intoxication. Each episode is 30 minutes or less so that would be an expensive 'filler' scene. Having one less soldier to fight wouldn't have mattered since they had no weapons. Riley was established as a lush in season one. She being a wino was only significant twice. Once to clear her suspicion of shooting Pippin, the other so that she could wander away in a drunken stupor, only to be found be Michael while Kelly continuously screams, "... these tacks look like they're going the other way!....Michael, the tracks might not be hers.... She's covered in (?)..."
    What, Kelly? What was she covered in? Ding dang it, Michael! Why do you always interrupt people when they might have something important to say?
    Check this out: Michael in Hawaii, December 7 1941....
    Mike, "What are you looking at through your binoculars?"
    Random Sailor, " I don't believe it but I think I see..."
    Michael, " Just what the hell are you getting at!!??"
    Sailor, "You know what? Forget it!! I'm going back to the Arizona!"

As for the special types of Zombies, I speculate that ground zero has something to do with them.
    1. In Last Dying Breath(?) C.J. points out that the reason that there are Special zombies in L.A. and not near the Colony could be the presence of Gound Zero.
    2. In R & R, Kalani tells Saul that Ground Zero is a place where C.J.'s convoys would return with reports of strange creature, some that can run fast, jump high...
    3. In Last Dying Breath, C.J. reveals that Ground Zero alone, is enough to turn a person into a zombie.

TOWTM seems to be able to control the Special Ones or D.A.H.s (Love that term) but there seems to be a more personal connection between him and the Inklings. Like, he's had some affect on their creation.

But, if the D.A.H.s are products of G.Z., which is a hot spot, then why didn't Kalani mention any on the Big Island? Maybe he just never saw any?
    Any thoughts, guys?
    Last edited by Witch_Doctor; Jul 17th, 2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Likes PhysicsLB, Tar Heel Fan liked this post
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    What kind of time frame was it between the initial outbreak and first encounters with the DAHs in LA? Maybe they left hawaii before they could encounter any?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast