User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Pin Time to Start Doing Research on the Zombies

It's time for our heroes to start figuring out what makes the zombies tick. The Tower folks seem to know more about them than anybody else we've encountered, except possibly CJ. They discovered the importance of sweat, practiced capturing them using chloroform, encountered all the special types. Now we have Tanya and Saul, and their potential immunity.

The Mallers, the Colony and Fort Irwin all seem to have avoided experimenting on the zombies. And with good reason, it would only take one getting loose to risk any of those locations being overrun! That goes double for doing research in Boulder!

It seems to me that what they need is an isolated site where they can start doing some serious research into the zombies and into the Tinks. It needs to be separate from the remaining human enclaves so that they aren't threatened if something goes wrong. Preferably some place that already has all the facilities in place.

In our world the best location might be the new Level 4 Bio Research Facility on the campus of UCLA. In the We're Alive universe I'm thinking the best location is Radon Labs.

At some point I predict we're going to see the Tower survivors, together with researchers from Boulder and soldiers from Fort Irwin, set up a base at Radon Labs. The group will include Michael, Riley and Tanya, they will be reunited with Saul, Victor, Lizzie and Burt, who will bring CJ along, and the entire group that went to Boulder will return.

I can even imagine how the group will get in to the lab. Remember the "smart one" that Burt shot on the roof of Locked and Loaded (Chapter 3, Part 3). He had a "Level 3 Badge from Radon Labs" clipped to his belt. I'll bet that body, with badge attached, is still up there, waiting to be recovered.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

There's some theory building going on in the "Slow Turners" thread... but that's... you know... a different thread I guess.
    joint-point-counter-joint

Philly Phanatic Zombie

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    This is a great theory, but I think with where we are at in the story right now that this wouldn't happen for quite some time unless they found some substancial evidence that would make them start research

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

*Reposted from the Slow Turner Thread*

All right... this working theory is evolving the more I listen to the episodes while working on the wiki recaps. You've all noticed, and we've all conversed about--usually at great length--how Kc likes to hide things within the whole of the episodes. This includes the commercials. It seems we've either forgotten this, or nobody has noticed the "Preventive Pest Control of Anaheim" commercials that appear at the beginnings of parts one through three of chapter 28: Last Dying Breath. Coincidence? I think there is something to this.

What do we know so far?

• No life at Ground Zero
    • Mysterious haze that affects the lungs, causing nausea, vomiting, and likely other effects that we are, as yet, unaware

The biggest hole in this theory is the outbreaks that were reported from locations outside of the immediate area. Drawing the parallel between the lack of life at Ground Zero, the lack of "Zeds" at Ground Zero, and the commercials at the beginning of the episodes... maybe it's just the fact that it's 3:00 A.M. and I'm still awake. I don't know. Perhaps, there may be a way for them to weaponize the Haze to use against the meatbags.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    I was actually thinking that the guys at the second tower should have done a lot more research on Ground Zero between the last chapters. At least CJ seemed to be interested in it, and there's a bunch they could have done. They could have mapped the edges of the zone, tested what effects the gas has on animals (I like cats as much as the next guy, but its the end days after all), seen if Saul is as immune to the gas even after being off the meds for a while, maybe even chucked a biter in there to see what happens. Then again, maybe they did and we haven't gotten to the point in the story where it is revealed. It most certainly wont be done "on screen" since it would be really boring to hear them actually doing it (I imagine).
    I guess that goes about any other research- we either get told of the conclusions that they reach, but the actual research wont be on the air, unless there's an escaped zombie or something else as thrilling.
    As to the exact theory that you have- i think its too exact. Something like that might happen, but i don't think it will be exactly as you say. Particularly that many of our people getting back together. Our heroes have been splintered one way or another ever since they became more than five.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    I think I touched on this in another thread, but I too am curious as to how we jumped 4 months ahead and Ground Zero seems to be insignificant. From CJ, Saul, and Victor's pov that is. Perhaps, as you said Puddle (btw welcome to the forums), they have done testing/mapping and we just have not heard from it yet. Or perhaps we as the audience will find out about it from Michael. It was he after all who at warned our original tower members to avoid that area correct? He may have sent a scout team back out there once settled in at Fort Irwin.

Also I don't think it would be boring to hear them test it. We heard them tagging the biters for tracking way back when and that was pretty intense and nail biting.

Looking forward to learning more about it. It is rather odd that the last we heard of it was "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU" and upon revisiting the same group its a 4 month jump. Maybe no one wanted to go back. Like Saul said "crack in inglewood" whooptie doo lol

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Also I don't think it would be boring to hear them test it. We heard them tagging the biters for tracking way back when and that was pretty intense and nail biting.
    I have this thing where i look at a thing as a part of this world (a podcast on teh Internetz) as opposed to what is of itself (an awesome story about survival)... I don't recommend it, but its how i think...
    And i think that that whole thing was interesting not because of the science involved, but because of the danger involved. Sadly, whatever anyone would do, they would try to keep the danger to a minimum As i said, if a zombie gets lose, we will hear about it. Not if test subject No 4875 from Series 23D shows lowered blood platelets or something, which proves that... something.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredWell Liked5000 Experience Points
    I agree with Bullethead- I think it’s unlikely that we will see everybody gathering up for one big research party anytime soon. They could potentially be brought together for other reasons, but the sort of meticulous, thoughtful research that is implied is also unlikely to be feasible in the post-zombie era. Rough experiments, yes, but large scale? I think those capabilities are probably mostly knocked out.

Furthermore, do any of our characters have a true research background? Yes, Lizzie was involved in the sweat project. However, her training is that of a counselor, correct? She has a PhD, but I think her particular degree was probably much more focused on clinical care than research methods, although she was probably required to have at least a cursory knowledge of methods for psychology research. Not biomedical research.

Ditto with Tanya. Veterinary training is typically “patient-oriented” as well. Yes, some small subset of any graduating class may go into academics and research, but do we have any indications of that being the case with Tanya? I got the sense that she was in private practice, but could easily be mistaken.

Also as far as being interesting to hear or not: if it was written up like the methods section of a journal article, I'm sure it would sound dull as dirt for a podcast. But I'm sure there are ways of presenting it that could make it very interesting for us as listeners, if that is what they wanted to write.

Finally, if anybody ever wanted to get away with doing research on zombies or cats without IRB or IACUC approval the WA-verse would make it possible!

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    If we get any type of research in the episodes..i don't see it happening this season...far to many things are being set up for the groundwork of something like that...but..im sure it will take the majority of this season to get all get the pieces in place. Now, beyond this season?...yea, at some point we will have to have some kind of exposition on the what's and how's of little ones, behmoths, etc...otherwise KC is setting himself up for the same "unanswered questions" debacle that the lost writers ran into..
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post
    If we get any type of research in the episodes..i don't see it happening this season...far to many things are being set up for the groundwork of something like that...but..im sure it will take the majority of this season to get all get the pieces in place. Now, beyond this season?...yea, at some point we will have to have some kind of exposition on the what's and how's of little ones, behmoths, etc...otherwise KC is setting himself up for the same "unanswered questions" debacle that the lost writers ran into..
    One way we could see some significant research on the zombies get done is through these time jumps that are now a part of the story. Once the current storyline concludes we can jump forward to a point where the research has been done and the answers can come out through exposition. That way we can skip all the tedious science and miss out on the miserable Southern California winter (it can get down to the low 50's F at night!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast