User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    "Scavenger"

Status

Lightbulb Ground Zero: The infection that ended society. How Did it Start?

Ground Zero: The infection that ended society.

Obviously since none have dared attempt this topic yet, I shall venture into the path of insanity and hardcore flaming to brief you into my beliefs about how the end of the world may have occurred.

Stage One: The Outbreak

It occurred rapidly we all know this from the episodes and even Angel deduced the spread to have encompassed the entire state within the matter of a single day (Ch. 4-3; 3:49). What is not known currently is however the entire theme of this thread, how did the infection encompass the world in a manner of possibly one day? Evidence of this fact is given in (Ch. 2-3; 20:55) so it becomes obvious that the infection is now across the Atlantic and quickly spreading it's way across Euro/Asia with Hawaii being at the end of our list of known infected areas.

Assuming that it was an airborne infection could result in the entire population's destruction within the radius of ground zero, even if you allow for a certain percentage of people who are immune or able to escape from ground zero this would still leave a decent amount of people that might have survived only to be possibly eaten by the newly turned skin muncher on your right. If you would be one of those who subscribe to this theory then one might believe they would find a haze or heavy particle layer in the air for a time after detonation and unless specifically designed for humans it might be turning all sorts of things into mindless freaks. (Ch. 11-2; 6:15)This may help in proving this point of mine assuming we ever discover what was found in/around Ground Zero by The Other Tower. However since there is no real evidence of this happening yet it points further toward the possibility that this catastrophe could be engineered by some power yet to be revealed to us. Radon Labs engineered perhaps? (Ch. 3-3; 3:38) Unless of course you prefer to subscribe to the first theory (Ch. 1-1; 2:24) and take those loud explosions overheard from inside the classroom to be some sort of explosion or release of a toxin of some type.

While believable and plausible that a weaponized virus was created and launched via multiple warheads thus circumnavigating the globe and striking deep into multiple cities it may not be what caused this incident.

That's where you come in!!
    I need outside advice/ideas/ and hell even criticism so hopefully someone can deliver!
    Delayed incubation period seems likely, but then again where and when could this have begun?

Stage Two: Variables

Many variables exist in this plan of say a coordinated attack and one of them is Hawaii, it is clear that the zombies on that island seem to have a varied personality where instead of a peaceful islander you great a hyper-aggressive bone crushing infected islander. This variation in personality could be due to a number of factors: different viral strains, varied environmental conditions, host personality and mental condition at the time of infection. The zombies would for one fact, need to swim for their food for a while which may have really pissed them off, ha.

Viruses tend to have a nasty habit of mutating quickly given the correct conditions, but let's look into the possibility that the strain is the same in all parts of the world at the beginning of this outbreak. We must still account for the variation in “class” or “type” of infection which leads back to a mutation of said virus whether that may relate back into genetic differences in the host or environmental conditions such as additional food in a given environment that would be needed for those big tanks called behemoths that are running through buildings and the like. While obviously the behemoths are in a class of their own, they don't seem to take orders from INK or the smarter infected and they even seem to keep the mindless dead heads a fair distance away from their hulking mass according to Skittles. This may be due to fear or respect but is still unverifiable at this point, I think it would also be interesting to find out if the Behemoths were ever in Hawaii...

While (Ch. 8-3; 2:50) has a behemoth standing “guard” at the pumping station the real question is: did it just happen to find those humans that were running the water station by the noise/scents being generated from the station itself or was it under orders to assume it's post and terminate the water supply for the remaining residents in the area? If we assume that behemoths are taking orders just like the jumpers/runners/and others then we may have a serious problem about to reveal itself, an undead army with a semi coherent grip on reality and the ability to follow orders of a paranoid schizophrenic who seems to have a very solid grip on reality and many of his upper cognitive abilities still intact such as his use of reasoning and communication. (Ch. 11-1: 7:25)

Stage Three: The Exceptionals

INK A.K.A Bill Roberts
    It's clear that INK is special, I shall not get into that area so much as there are other threads dedicated to him. It seems that given we accept his schizophrenia as very much real and he is in fact a very evil person before Z-Day then we must factor in his infection into his mental disorder. Being a paranoid schizophrenic he would be suffering, most likely, from delusions, possibility of hallucinations, and even as usual paranoid behaviors and thoughts. If you listen closely to (Ch. 2-3; 20:55) you can easily deduce that what ever was done a year before the outbreak occurred was enough to completely devastate the family of the victim(s) he killed. Someone noted previously on this forum that he may have been practicing cannibalism (This was suggested by RamblinMike) even back a year ago however, it is my belief that if he was practicing cannibalism then he was doing it sans-infection.

I don't see him as genetically different, and thus I don't believe that he created this whole incident by a few bites, if anything he is just another killer turned infected super zombie.
    However, I never said he might not know how this all began...

Skittles
    This character is key for my theories, he is the missing link so to speak between both towers and Z-Day. He obviously recognized Kalani, and as they describe that hunk of lard he sounds like he is just that a hunk 'o' lard who can't seem to run 200 meters in a row and thus should stick out like a fat man in a little coat.
    (Side note: It is a good thing however that a drunk Kellie likes him, because I have a particular disgust for how he comes across my speakers. He may or may not be shifty but he obviously isn't one of my core characters of interest at this point in time.)

Skittles as a name alone was just something that Angel made up on the fly sure, but Skittles and Schizo are similar enough in pronunciation to foster the flames of doubt in my wickedly twisted mind, why is it that Skittles isn't all there but yet he is completely and totally able to function alone in the middle of an undead apocalypse? He has the mental facilities to remember and even problem solve in the middle of extremely stressful situations which I shouldn't need list at this point but I will (A. Ch. 9-1; 12:40 + B. Ch. 17-3; 7:10). Could he possibly be experiencing some sort of infection on some level, or is he just off his rocker a tad? Was he at Ground Zero originally and suffered some side effect? Was he with the recon team that was visiting Ground Zero from The Other Tower? It wouldn't be a far off wager to assume that Skittles has a severe case of obsessive compulsive disorder as well or some other factor that I have overlooked that may be involved with his uncanny ability to survive alone.

Heck, maybe one of the missiles landed on Skittles head, that would explain a lot...
    HA!

Please keep this thread clean, no one line responses please!
    Let's conduct this with some level of formality so let's think our responses over, mmm'kay?!
    Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by Funny Muffins; Feb 27th, 2011 at 01:12 AM.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Ok, I'll join you in a flame war.

Here's the hard part....I vote against the virus being airborne because that would mean everyone alive now is immune, so should have no fear of turning if they were attacked. But Tommy would have been "immune" to a virus, but turned none the less. But without it being airborne, I have no idea how it could be unleashed on a global scale. Unless it started dormant and was transmitted by air, then mutated and can now only be transmitted by fluid/contact I'm at a loss as to how it actually happens.

And to throw a wrench in your dispersion via explosion idea: the most effective way to disperse anything that is intended to reach a large swath of a population is to explode it higher in the atmosphere. Michael immediately recognized the sounds of the explosions which mimicked what he heard in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm putting my money behind more traditional explosions that could have occurred: Car explosion, Gas station, or I'll even grant an over-reactive formal response (police, military). Not to mention, the explosion would have to be the trigger that started all of it. That would mean the news coverage of the riot Michael sees at college would have to be instantly there. It takes longer than an instant for news coverage teams to get to an area and get set up for live shots.

In order to go from the scarred/ambling idiot zombies to the specialized class of zombie: the virus would have to undergo a rapid mutation. The other strange thing to note: as all hell is breaking loose Michael sees the stupid ambling ones that wrecked the guy honking his horn. But at the same time, we get from the journals of other Tower members that they were already being hunted by smell (ie the woman who was hiding in her closet). So maybe what we're looking for at ground zero is multiple strains of virus unleashing creating our special types.

Behemoths don't seem to take orders, but one was in the arena and was coexisting with Smart Ones. So unless we are meant to forget the fact that a Behemoth was in the arena (which isn't the case because Arrowhead just made a reappearance in Chapter 18), Behemoths can apparently live among normal and smart ones.

I don't think Ink necessarily had to be practicing cannibalism. Murdering anyone can devastate a family. It doesn't mean that he did anything more than murder a whole bunch of people in particularly gruesome way. He could have tried to recreate the Jack the Ripper murders except used nice suburban girls instead of hookers. And once again, it has never been confirmed in the story (only theorized on the forums) that Ink is a character we have met.

I know I covered a different possibility as to why Skittles could recognize Kalani in the Hawaii thread in theories. Again, we do not know for fact where Skittles came from. Might he have been traumatized by watching all his friends in the Other Tower die and that's why he is how is? Sure. Might he have already had something wrong with him and watched all his friends in a mental institution die? Prove to me from story evidence that's not the case. So it's just as likely that Skittles saw Kalani being dragged into the arena from whatever hiding spot he had at the time.

As to why Skittles is able to function and survive in an apocalypse setting: I don't think we can know that right now. He is paranoid enough that he won't trust anyone (in the sense you and I think of it), and his paranoia keeps him from making too many mistakes. He obviously has a decent memory (as he's able to recount to Angel and Kalani all he knows about the zombies), is a detailed oriented observer and can probably recognize when things don't seem right. By living and surviving among the zombies, he's the most qualified survivor in the series.
    Likes alexcadtek liked this post
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsVeteran5000 Experience Points

PSN ID: Hollomandious
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    Ok, I'll join you in a flame war.
    Lets roll. (ha ha, 1 line response!!!)

Here's the hard part....I vote against the virus being airborne because that would mean everyone alive now is immune, so should have no fear of turning if they were attacked. But Tommy would have been "immune" to a virus, but turned none the less. But without it being airborne, I have no idea how it could be unleashed on a global scale. Unless it started dormant and was transmitted by air, then mutated and can now only be transmitted by fluid/contact I'm at a loss as to how it actually happens.
    I agree as well. I'm thinking someone was infected, maybe just someone covertly poking someone, or someone infected was released, and then bam, with each unsuspecting victim he attacks, it's just another infected.

And to throw a wrench in your dispersion via explosion idea: the most effective way to disperse anything that is intended to reach a large swath of a population is to explode it higher in the atmosphere. Michael immediately recognized the sounds of the explosions which mimicked what he heard in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm putting my money behind more traditional explosions that could have occurred: Car explosion, Gas station, or I'll even grant an over-reactive formal response (police, military). Not to mention, the explosion would have to be the trigger that started all of it. That would mean the news coverage of the riot Michael sees at college would have to be instantly there. It takes longer than an instant for news coverage teams to get to an area and get set up for live shots.
    I second your motion. (haha, 2nd 1 sentence response.)

Behemoths don't seem to take orders, but one was in the arena and was coexisting with Smart Ones. So unless we are meant to forget the fact that a Behemoth was in the arena (which isn't the case because Arrowhead just made a reappearance in Chapter 18), Behemoths can apparently live among normal and smart ones.
    Skittles also mentioned that the normals stay away from the big ones. Maybe Ink just has some kind of magic touch that makes them all live in harmony. Also, the one in the arena was most likely fed. Maybe the big ones in the field are hungry and will eat the normals, so the normals stay away.

I don't think Ink necessarily had to be practicing cannibalism. Murdering anyone can devastate a family. It doesn't mean that he did anything more than murder a whole bunch of people in particularly gruesome way. He could have tried to recreate the Jack the Ripper murders except used nice suburban girls instead of hookers. And once again, it has never been confirmed in the story (only theorized on the forums) that Ink is a character we have met.
    I don't remember every hearing anything about cannibalism.

Not confirmed?!? The story on the DVR talks about Ink/Bill Roberts, and that he is covered in tattoos, and he was being transported to a mental health facility that is 10 miles away (per Saul in Chap1). There's too many things pointing to him being the crazy super Zombie. And following the logic of "smarter you are in life, the smarter you are in "un"death). Crazy killers are usually kinda smart, and thus he'd be a smart one (or super smart one as it seems to be).

I know I covered a different possibility as to why Skittles could recognize Kalani in the Hawaii thread in theories. Again, we do not know for fact where Skittles came from. Might he have been traumatized by watching all his friends in the Other Tower die and that's why he is how is? Sure. Might he have already had something wrong with him and watched all his friends in a mental institution die? Prove to me from story evidence that's not the case. So it's just as likely that Skittles saw Kalani being dragged into the arena from whatever hiding spot he had at the time.
    I've been thinking about this one. Skittles was in the other tower, he said he was. Kalani also said he was in the other tower. Skittles was probably there first, and paid attention to the new arrivals, whereas Kalani was new and had alot of things to take in when arriving, and most likely didn't notice him.

As to why Skittles is able to function and survive in an apocalypse setting: I don't think we can know that right now. He is paranoid enough that he won't trust anyone (in the sense you and I think of it), and his paranoia keeps him from making too many mistakes. He obviously has a decent memory (as he's able to recount to Angel and Kalani all he knows about the zombies), is a detailed oriented observer and can probably recognize when things don't seem right. By living and surviving among the zombies, he's the most qualified survivor in the series.
    Skittles is the shit. Wonder if maybe he'll be the one to bring down Ink? (ha ha, 3rd one line response).

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hollomandious View Post

Not confirmed?!? The story on the DVR talks about Ink/Bill Roberts, and that he is covered in tattoos, and he was being transported to a mental health facility that is 10 miles away (per Saul in Chap1). There's too many things pointing to him being the crazy super Zombie. And following the logic of "smarter you are in life, the smarter you are in "un"death). Crazy killers are usually kinda smart, and thus he'd be a smart one (or super smart one as it seems to be).

I've been thinking about this one. Skittles was in the other tower, he said he was. Kalani also said he was in the other tower. Skittles was probably there first, and paid attention to the new arrivals, whereas Kalani was new and had alot of things to take in when arriving, and most likely didn't notice him.
    Yes, there are strong indications that Ink and the One With the Markings/The Colored One are in fact Ink. The one that assaulted the Tower and killed Paul could have very well been Ink. But it has not been confirmed in the story. Therefore, it's theory. It's a theory with some strong evidence, but its still just a theory.

Skittles never said he was in the other tower.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Scavenger"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollomandious View Post

Boom, my thoughts exactly. Seems like he was too busy being concerned with something else..
    Eating perhaps?
    HA!

Could Skittles be infected on some level?
    Sure he has stories of him avoiding all sorts of dead heads, but when have we seen this? Aside for the Molotov we are forced to assume he is being sincere which is fine with me, but could he be the wanderer that is actually somehow being protected or overlooked by the deadheads?
    (Far out there indeed... Why not?)

I'm assuming that if it was an airborne infection then yes a high altitude release would net the greatest result of damage on the populace however, just as fallout travels on the wind currents, so should a toxin cloud. Notoriously speaking, when most toxic bombs and missiles release their juice a certain amount would be required to take effect on individuals. This amount could be so finite and impossible to notice that many people could have changed before they hit the ground. While possible that it would be something of this variety that caused the infection it is looking less likely based upon some of the evidence you provided earlier Nik.

I'm trying to compare the infection with something like Sulfur mustard gas of yesterday, while different there might be some type of similarity in is dispersal and physical manifestations, Sulfur mustard gas can be taken in via the skin alone leading to severe chemical burns and blistering which while very debilitating only results in death for those who are more than 50% infected. Individuals who are actually just mildly exposed recover after taking their blows with blistering and burning. Researching for this posting something just dawned on me:

What if what ever is turning these infected is causing the scaring that is visible on their bodies aswell?
    I automatically assumed that the infected deadheads running past Michael on the 5 were scared up because frankly speaking, they had the **** kicked out of them whilst infecting the masses, however, what if the scars are due to a physical manifestation of a toxin?

How's that for a theory...

^__^

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    I thought we already discussed the start of the infection in another thread? Anyway, Airborne it cannot be. In order for it to be in multiple countries at the same time, It had to have one local point in each country. Blood born infections are normally started by live vectors like "skeetas." Not in this case because of the quickness and trans global expansive nature.
    That's where my "Umbrella" company theory comes in. The biotech firm was doing experiments ala Tuskegee. Someone exploited the security protocols and the prisoners ran amok. G Poof! One trans global zombie fest.

"Scavenger"

Status
    If your idea is to be plausible you will need to establish that where ever these zombies may have begun their eat-a-thon from it would be easy to contain, not just by safeguards alone but by geography itself.

Even if the lab was directly beneath Los Angeles how could rioting be occurring simultaneously in the following cities:
    • Los Angeles
    • San Diego

We then had a few episodes to envision Southern California wiped off the map, then in 2-3 we learned of:
    • LA/SD Again
    • Detroit
    • Chicago
    • Miami
    • New York
    • Houston
    • Internationally Also Guaranteed, to what extent unknown.

If you think that the infection can be in all these locations in a manner of a few days with out separate outbreaks, then we may have a serious problem...

Flying hell beasts...?!

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: Lake IX
    nikvoodoo had come up with a theory involving a benign stream of the virus spreading worldwide, then the strand mutates after it's infected a large number of people, the mutation would basically cause the sickness that creates the zombies. After turning the initial base, the originally turned would turn the rest.

i like the idea of the cause being a flu vaccine. There could have been an unseen flaw in the production of the vaccine, and although it may act as a flue vaccine, there was a side effect of zombie. flu vaccines could have been in extremely high demand, (we saw this with the swine flu epidemic) and there wouldnt be enough for everyone, so only a few people could actually receive the vaccine. Let's say the after maybe a week or so the illness kicks in and boom apocalypse. so maybe 30 percent of the people who were infected because the recieved the flu vaccine turned into the mindless drone zombies and they tore into the other 70 percent of the population who were so caught of guard that the majority was wiped out. of course there is a problem with this theory, and that is because we know that santa ana, had time to react, the initial infection began in LA and then spread from there, so that's a problem. It could be that the flu vaccines were dropped off at the major cities, and those cities began to distribute the flu shots immedietely, and while the rest of the flu shots were on the way to the smaller cities and towns around them, so the people in LA, NY, Miami, Detroit, etc, got hit first (which also means that the virus acts very quickly like within an hour or so (if you're wondering why the scientists who created the serum didnt catch the zombifying side effect, take note of the thalydamide incident, back in the 70s i think? well anyway, scientists came up with this birth control that worked for the test animals, but they hadnt tested it on humans, so the result was that the people who used thalydamide ended up having children with hideous birth defects, i mean after this incident there were strict rules put in place so that this wouldnt happen again, but if there was a panic and an extreme demand for the vaccine, then maybe this was a possibility, just plain lack of testing lead to zombies))
    Angel's #1 Fan

"Lurker"

Status
    The airborne virus is kinda a no go in my books. If it was then people would be infected in the streets randomly, but it seems like all of the infections were from fluid exposure. The dormant virus that then erupted seems a good idea as the Hawaiian Zombies seem "kinda meaner" this implies a variation in the zombie virus, possibly leading to different basic zombie types. What I would kinda of like to know is how the different "special" zombies "evolved" there is a possiblity that they may just be mutant zombies, however they could be "older" zombies that were infected prior to the outbreak (? and research on / mutated by someone ?) and then released during the outbreak. The Big Ones would have to eat a large amount of flesh to get to the size that they are judging by the description of them and this would mean that they were either very fat buggers or ate a lot of corpses (or possibly other zombies?). I mean you can't just generate muscle mass and they have to eat something and i don't exactly see them drinking protein shakes..

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Ra1th,

I'm digging the Flu shot angle! BUT... flu seasons are gonna differ overseas. Still a great theory.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast