Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    "Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsWell Liked

Looking for other Podcasts, preferably Audio Dramas

A little bit of background -

Before August of this year (2014) I had not once listened to a podcast. Nothing about what they were interested me.

I received an extremely subtle recommendation to try out The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick, and after that, I became hooked.

The very second Podcast I tried after that was We're Alive.

Almost every other podcast since has felt like absolute shit.

I have tried the following radio-style dramas:

Toothless: Shit. Narrated by Author with very little expression in his voice.
    Aural Stage Studio Presents 1918: Decent, could be good, but only 4 episodes long, each episode only about half an hour. Its shortness makes it far less gripping
    Bad Audio Theatre: It isn't doing anything it says it isn't. It is Bad Audio, and I guess it is theater. They would be a mark ahead by calling it Bad Acting & Audio Theatre.
    Moonlight Audio Theatre: Only listened to one episode so far, and it was pretty decent with a mediocre soundtrack. Its production value is good enough to give it multiple listens, but it isn't serialized - each half hour episode is a new episode. I'd like something with some longevity
    The Thrilling Adventure Hour: I've only listened to the first two episodes. It focuses too much on satire. I don't mind a good show that makes fun of itself here and there, but a show that only makes fun of itself is ultimately a disappointment.

I have also tried the following Interview style podcasts:

The Nerdist: The one that started it all for me. The earliest episodes are the best, and I only listen to the ones whose guests truly interest and/or stick out at me. There are over 600 episodes, so I've got close to a year of listening covered. Out of the more recent episodes, it can be hit or miss, but in the last couple months of episodes, a decent middle of the road. Still, most guests, I really learn a great deal about their industry, and how they got there, and the tale of success has a very common theme - Don't ever stop, don't ever give up, and get used to hearing No, and embrace it.
    FEaB: Matt Mira/Scott Molser - Two not-so-great-at-hosting personalities shoot the shit and talk about it without very much direction. Its too slow to be a train wreck, so its more like a toddler trying to carry a cup of milk in a sippy cup.
    Sex Nerd Sandra: Ultimately, an interesting podcast. But to be honest (and not trying to sound remotely like a casanova), very little is learned. The feature about different toys was interesting, not having any experience, but ultimately, its pushing a product I'd have to go out and spend money on if I were to take much out of it. I'd prefer entertainment in my head instead of in my bed. (I'm at work after all).
    Mike and Tom Eat Snacks: I would like this if the focus was on the snacks. But they spend 20 minutes just getting to the snack, and as soon as they're done, they continue talking about stuff completely unrelated. The title of this one gave it plenty of potential, but it failed miserably on behalf of the listener.
    We're not Dead: I like this podcast for the same reason I like the Nerdist. The first several episodes were really uncomfortable in parts, but ultimately, the mission comes out successful. They have a specific topic up for discussion, discuss the themes of the most recent episode, and then they bring in surrounding, and sometimes unrelated themes to the discussion as well. I like this, because it follows a linear plot. Sadly, it is essentially over. I do still plan to listen to the rest of the episodes when I listen to We're alive again, so that i can compare and contrast my own ideas to the adjacent time line that they are discussing.
    James Bonding: Quite good, actually. Matt Mira and someone else named Matt watch James Bond films, and talk about it. I like these style of podcasts. But, Unfortunately, it is not so easy in this day and age to watch all the Bond Films without buying them. No more blockbuster, and not all of them are on Netflix streaming. In this day and age, i'm also pretty defiant against disc-based technologies, so I won't ever subscribe to the Disc Service side of Netflix.
    Competitive Erotic Fan FictionHilarious Concept, falls short on delivery. My idea of "erotic" is not the same as their interpretation of an Aristocrats joke. That's fine, but it would be nice to hear a genuine competitor who throws in a pun here and there, instead of just writing a story that is as disgusting as humanly and inhumanely possible. There is the occasional contestant that nails it, but 5 competitors per episode, and you're lucky if 1 does.

**edit** This one actually grew on me. Competitive Erotic Fan Fiction is definitely hit or miss - per performer/contestant. Some of them are geniuses, and craft some hilarity. I would give this a listen, as long as you've got headphones on.

Doug Loves Movies No offense to stoners in general. I just am not one. I want to like this, but each episode doesn't really have much of a mission/plot. It has a different guest each episode, and that is nice, but they end up just talking about movies in general, and not any particular genre, or specific movie, really. Maybe this changes in later podcasts, but I only give them 1 or 2 episodes before deciding it isn't for me.

So, there you have it. The complete list of podcasts. With the exception of The Nerdist, and We're alive, I've really only given every podcast mentioned up there a listen each of about 2 episodes. That was all it took me for We're Alive to get me hooked. That was all it took me for the Nerdist to get me hooked. I think that is plenty of allowment to get me.

Any recommendations?

**edit** I should add, that I know part of the reason that We're Alive is so successful is that it has outstanding production value with the creators and players all with their hearts in the right place.

1) Foley Studio - This is something that even some television (sketch) don't have budget for, and are forced to use stock audio.
    2) A well thought out plot - What is a story if you don't know where it is going to go? It's improv sketch theatre. Good luck at getting serious longevity.
    3) Real Actors and Actresses and Serialized recording - Its one thing to take individual actors and put them into a sound box and just get their lines, but when there are sequences where the actors and actresses are all in the same room, it really builds a greater dynamic, and those moments can be heard by the listener.

____

Too many of the above lack this.
    Last edited by NickShades; Oct 1st, 2014 at 11:00 PM.