Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1274 View Post
Burt Narrated in this chapter.. I do not see him dying in it.. Would not go along with what I have been noticing this in the story.. Those who no longer narrate are most likely to die. I think the the ones that narrate are alive at the end.. I guess I will have to wait till the end to see if I am correct.
All the narration means is that he wrote in the journal, not that he lives at the end.

Remember, Kalani had a narration too. A good chunk of chapter 27, after he was dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
]There is a marked difference between the drive shaft seizing against the motor, and the sound of the clutch engaging. One is a whine, the other a chattering. I also use drills everyday, cordless as well as corded, impact, screwguns, hammer drills, just about any rotary device you can use to insert something into something else with. That was a clutch engaging. There is no doubt in my mind of that.
Honestly, the simplest explanation for Burt's drill is he started to drill with the clutch engaged, he pauses, moves it to the "drill" setting, and drills out the lock.

I do that all the time when going from one part of a project to another using the same drill.