User Tag List

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    "Gatherer"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wh33t View Post
    So here are some questions about Nukes. I'm aware that there is an EMP effect from Nuclear explosions but what exactly does an EMP do? Does it fry all electronics? Or just electronics that are currently switched on? Does it just affect copper/metal based circuitry or would it also affect carbon based circuits and fiber optics? What about a battery? It's got big lead plates in it but if the terminals aren't connected does it still get cooked?
    EMP's affect electronics whether they are on or off. For example, your car is off, EMP Blast, your car will not start again. Your car is on, EMP Blast, your car will shut off and never start again. Batteries will also be toast. Don't know about fiber optics, but there is a link in the fiber optic chain that is electronic, so....

How to prevent? Make yourself a faraday cage, put what you want protected in the faraday cage, and it will work after an EMP. Google it for more info. You can make a faraday cage out of anything metal actually, garbage can, tool box, etc.

Got any Reynolds Wrap?

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: Hoff4D
    Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post
    alright....thats fucking cool

Guess I'm more familiar with old tech vs new, but I believe it would be fair to say then....in lieu of a "brand new" car/truck, I'd go for the old 74 Camaro before I went for the 92 Camaro with its tuned port injection, easily fouled, plugged and completely useless

Also....you just shot waaaaaaaaay up on my list of people I like here
    Awesome, now I'm a semi-cool guy

All that said, I'm with you. I'll take the 74 'maro over the 92. For multiple reasons, the lack of electrical relient components, lends itself to being fixed by the everyday mechanic MUCH easier.

However, In the apocalypse, I'm climbing in my deuce-and-a-half. That sucker will run on damn near anything. Bottle of Jack? Sure, give it a shot! So yea, I'm going with an older diesel vehicle, and will run bio-diesel, as its far easier to refine in the apocalypse. But if that fails, it's time for a 60s vehicle, then after that I'd take my chances with a new vehicle (if I have keys) being that it can handle the flux of fuel usage. That the order of vehicle desirability in my opinion. Anything 90-2000 is just not gonna happen, too many electrical issues
    Zombies!
    Are you with me so far?
    Jurassic-era Haze!
    Still with me?
    ZOMBIE PTERODACTYLS!.....Where'd everybody go?

Got any Reynolds Wrap?

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Leedo2502 View Post
    Or is he?? I picture Kimmet like Col. Jessup in A Few Good Men

Michael: Colonel Kimmet! Did you order the Nuking of Boulder?!!
    Carl: You don't have to answer that question sir!
    Kimmet: I'll answer the question. You want answers?
    Michael: I think I'm entitled to them.
    Kimmet: You want answers?!
    Michael: I want the truth!
    Kimmet: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls and Sat Phones, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns and who use those Sat Phones. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Sgt. Cross? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Boulder, and you curse my Sat Phone. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Boulder’s demise , while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties at the tower, you want me on that wall… you need me on that phone.
    We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty” and “PX Credit." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.
    I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way… writing in your Diary. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!
    Michael: Did you order the Nuking of Boulder?
    Kimmet: I did the job I was --
    Michael: -- Did you order the Nuking of Boulder?!
    Kimmet: You're god damn right I did!!!
    *Slow clap*
    Zombies!
    Are you with me so far?
    Jurassic-era Haze!
    Still with me?

Got any Reynolds Wrap?

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    Hi there,
    @Detail about "french girl" - I totally missed that. Maybe Riley was able to get aboard on the last flight to Boulder? How unlikely is that?
    Or something like this: Maybe Riley had something important to tell about Tanya and/ or about #2 to Michael! What, if Tanya has found the weak spot of the Little Ones (a certain chemical or biological agent of whatever kind capable of stoping them) before Kimmet announced the Big Bang Theory to become practical and Riley wanted to inform Michael about that? Spinning around that idea I wonder if something like this would be able to establish quite a decent confrontation between Michael and Kimmet, because Michael would have been able to stop the nuke and safe some more lives?

All the best!
    Liam

That's a good point as well, as we didnt hear one word from Tanya this episode. I just wanted to make sure to note the mention of Riley, without the appearance of Riley. As we've learned many times....Kc doesn't mention something for no reason....
    Last edited by Hoff4D; Oct 10th, 2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Edited cited comment for space
    Zombies!
    Are you with me so far?
    Jurassic-era Haze!
    Still with me?

"Stalker"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsExtreme Love
    So I'm guess that Michael or Puck is going to suggest scan and broadcasting on all bands for survivors. That probably where both stories are going to connect. Since they know that at least one Sat-phone was still out there at Boulder and everyone in the cars have radios. Also KC can drop a line of Michael said "What you guys are still alive?!" Saul said "We're Alive!" Unless, they are captured and Scratch answered. "Well, well, never thought of heard your voice again. Yea, we're still alive, for now. Where is she?"
    Last edited by UndeadSweeper; Oct 10th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    It is just kind of disturbing that thousands of people are literally toast, mere shadows burned-in the remains of what used to be Boulder. Was it really worth it? Yeah, for sure, the bombing will have reduced the number of LO and any other type of special zombie. But is it not more than a Pyrrhus victory? Ok, the zombie hordes might have been slowed down, the might have suffered severe losses. In the end, it can hardly be even regarded as a draw.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UndeadSweeper View Post
    So I'm guess that Michael or Puck is going to suggest scan and broadcasting on all bands for survivors. That probably where both stories are going to connect. Since they know that at least one Sat-phone was still out there at Boulder and everyone in the cars have radios. Also KC can drop a line of Michael said "What you guys are still alive?!" Saul said "We're Alive!" Unless, they are captured and Scratch answered. "Well, well, never thought of heard your voice again. Yea, we're still alive, for now. Where is she?"
    You're talking about broadcasting on radios that couldn't make it from the Tower to the Colony. And I think you're also suggesting that the Sat phone could interact with terrestrial radios which can't happen at all.

Broadcasting an FM signal is much different than any other communications used in the series thus far. Not to mention, there's a mountain barrier between Irwin and L.A. FM signals don't do so well against geological barriers.

The seed was planted for the Sat Phone in LA with Saul. It's most likely going to be the Sat phone that brings the story lines together.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    High Level WikiVeteran10000 Experience Points

Gamertag: Novus Bellator
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    The seed was planted
    That's what she said!
    There is no spoon. - Neo

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    High Level Wiki10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran
    What's the range on the police frequencies? Is there the possibility of using those to contact Ft. Irwin? I agree that it's most likely that we'll need to wait until the sat phone can be fixed before Saul and Michael will meet up again but we have a mostly working line of secured communication that's available. Would the military have access to those channels?

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    The seed was planted for the Sat Phone in LA with Saul. It's most likely going to be the Sat phone that brings the story lines together.
    I sounds like there were never very many satphones in service between Boulder and Fort Irwin. Most of the comms between the two seem to have been local phones that were routed through a "gateway" on either end to relay it via satellite. The Boulder gateway is gone now, and as far as we know there are, at most, only two satphones remaining with the Boulder survivors, one of which came from Fort Irwin with the air assault teams.

So whose phone number is on the satphone that Saul and Victor have? Is it one of the ones that Kimmet and Michael have, or one of the ones that went to Boulder?

Quote Originally Posted by Jannit View Post
    What's the range on the police frequencies? Is there the possibility of using those to contact Ft. Irwin?...Would the military have access to those channels?
    I don't think there's any possibility of Fort Irwin hearing Saul/Victor/CJ's police radio communications. Police radios have comparatively short range, and require networks of repeaters to communicate over long distances. The Dunbar crew had to set up their own network of repeaters to be able to communicate the way they're doing it, probably powering them with solar power sources. I doubt that a chain of suitable repeaters ever existed between LA and Fort Irwin, and if it did the repeaters would have gone down when the power did.

I know the Military Police at Fort Irwin used commercial police radios when I was there, but I don't know if that is still the case.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast