User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Lurker"

Status

Michael and personal life

Has anything ever been mentioned about Michael's personal life? i.e. siblings, cousins, friends from home? I have been re-listening to the series and the zombie Randy kept popping out at me. What if they had known each other before the outbreak? I noticed some posts about people thinking he was the one who could have rescued Michael during the water plant collapse, but then again it was a Behemoth they found there, and Skittles says, while in the water tower at the base, that the Normals stay clear of the Behemoths. Just a curiosity that struck me while listening at work.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stout403 View Post
    Has anything ever been mentioned about Michael's personal life? i.e. siblings, cousins, friends from home? I have been re-listening to the series and the zombie Randy kept popping out at me. What if they had known each other before the outbreak? I noticed some posts about people thinking he was the one who could have rescued Michael during the water plant collapse, but then again it was a Behemoth they found there, and Skittles says, while in the water tower at the base, that the Normals stay clear of the Behemoths. Just a curiosity that struck me while listening at work.
    Short answer: No.

Long Answer: We've been given teeny teeny tiny tiny glimpses into Michael's past. But that's just it. Glimpses. We know he's socially awkward. He's compartmentalized almost to a fault. We know his parents died while he was overseas fighting the War on Terror and that he didn't come back. He tells Kelly he's an only child, but she doesn't necessarily buy it.

As for Randy: It's presumed he's from the water plant simply because it's the only time we've not known what Michael was up to. We've been following Michael since the very first second of the podcast and the only time he's not on the radar is when he's presumed dead. Could Randy be from before? Surely. Is he? Probably not in my opinion. One thing to help this along would be to know if behemoths can cause humans to turn into zombies. If they can, it all comes together. If they don't, maybe it's even more tragic than we thought. Maybe Randy didn't die getting Michael out of the Water Station. Maybe they got out and Randy was turned after they had escaped the behemoth inside.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

6 Degrees of Seven Bacon

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsVeteranLoved
    Blog Entries
    I'd also like to add that Randy isn't necessarily a "Normal."

Dun Dun Dunnnn...

One more thing, why was Michael so eager to kill Him (other than the fact that he was a zombie)...?
    Last edited by Wicked Sid; Dec 9th, 2011 at 11:04 PM.
    "Run..." Was his final word as he exhaled for the last time.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Sid View Post

Dun Dun Dunnnn...

One more thing, why was Michael so eager to kill Him...?
    I'd agree. By the way he acts he's definitely a smart one. He was the center of that pack leading Tanya away after all. He'd most likely be the one who organized the pack together to not only protect the victim, but also himself.
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops

"Lurker"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    As for Randy: One thing to help this along would be to know if behemoths can cause humans to turn into zombies. If they can, it all comes together. If they don't, maybe it's even more tragic than we thought. Maybe Randy didn't die getting Michael out of the Water Station. Maybe they got out and Randy was turned after they had escaped the behemoth inside.
    That's a pretty good thought, sounds pretty complex, how would it unfold on a first person storyline? Ha ha, the behemoth didnt get to enjoy its Randy Burger, although he would probably be an appetizer for something that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Sid View Post

Dun Dun Dunnnn...

One more thing, why was Michael so eager to kill Him (other than the fact that he was a zombie)...?
    OOHH good point, and from what nikvoodoo says it would appear he has leadership skills, or at least control over others.

It was a pretty detailed description of Michael pulling the trigger, a more personal telling of what was going on. Him missing could be from the broken arm, or just a subconscious thought about the person he might know

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stout403 View Post
    That's a pretty good thought, sounds pretty complex, how would it unfold on a first person storyline? Ha ha, the behemoth didnt get to enjoy its Randy Burger, although he would probably be an appetizer for something that big.
    Well until we know what happened, Randy may have been attacked by the Wicked Witch of the West and her flying monkeys....you never know!

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    There are a few odds and ends.

He tells Angel that he has family around here, sorta. Maybe it is sorta because they are dead. But, in any case, he dodges the question.

In the first chapter, Riley picks up on the inner pain that Michael does not seem to be projecting to others. He is very uncomfortable with this attention.

Michael Throws up the emotional wall and starts pushing back premptively. He Squares of on Burt (much older) and Kalani (slightly older) the moment they are introduced. I am guessing that Kelley is just a little older and he squares off with her, also. BUt, she is a lawyer and is pretty good at pushing the buttons to break the witness on the stand.

Michael thinks about "Before" he would go out of his way to avoid speaking with Angel and Saul. Now, he is uncomfortable sending people under his command out into the wild to do what has to be done.

Lizzy and Burt come back. Saul is checking out the mallers. Michael lost contact. He is hurting. Riley immediately picks up on it. Michael "volunteers" that they might have lost Saul. Riley approaches to give a hug and Michael in a broken voice "not this" or something like it but does not resist.

When Saul does come back, Micahel gives him a big hug. Saul picks up on this major shift and even comments about handshakeman going for a hug. Saul is a little uncomfortable with this man-love and calls him "mikey" Michael says none of that. Saul says from mushy to macho...

As they enter the Tower, Saul is cracking about zombie chicks and scooters. Saul and Angel are laughing, but Michael says "you are not funny" I have speculated that there is a backstory for Michael and a motorcycle and or lack of helmet.

The mallers attack, people under Michael's protection die and he breaks down and gives up command.

In this state he tells Kelly about his parents. I think this is the truth, because he hit rock-bottom.

Heads South to look for a Doctor etc. Whatever relationship he had with Pegs becomes more intement. My guess is Victor is a little older, because Michael seems to be OK with it. Or, victor is a little older and this is another change for michael.

Meets the Doctor. She is obviously older than Michael (we know now because she is sauls mom) and again there is friction. Many of the leaders of the colony are older, but I think the interaction is more influential than michaels age bias.

Get back to the tower and retakes command and orders preparation for the Exodus.

Saul's Mom and he again have issues. I think this is age related for michael. I do not know if hers is age -- he is about the same age as Saul) or Authority.

Randy. Yea, unless this zombie dude has a T-shirt that in big letters reads "Randy" Michael must know him. We have seen "dumb" zombies drag bodies. If micahel knew him as a human, why would he have any reason to believe that it would respond to its name? Previous examples gave no such hint. Cindy (chapter 1) Tommy (chapter 12) and (Jose? victors partner). I truely believe. Randy recognizes his name. We hear michael say "Randy!" a tiny pause similar to any other typical conversation and we hear a zombie growl. It is not one of the "canned" sounds. It sounds like a response to me.

As for more backstory, What happens to Michael between tours 2 and 3? It seems to me that michael is only comfortable in any army setting. But,

"By the third tour I was the tired and depressed sergent." or something like that.

Is he really bummed out because of a third tour? Most people would be. Michael is not most people. I think this is critical. In the introduction, Michael could say anything. BUt, what is the first thing he writes in the Summary Journal? ... tired and depressed... I do not think it would be there if it was not important. Although not cliche', Michael is on a pretty classic "Heroes Journey" I do not know if KC has this formallized or even heard the term. But, in our society the Heroes Journey is the solid bedrock on which to base a good story.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    I don't know why but I always figured Randy would be from Michael's army past, just a thought

also first post from work, wahoo!

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Conf View Post
    I don't know why but I always figured Randy would be from Michael's army past, just a thought

also first post from work, wahoo!
    Congrats on first work post. I can't do that at my job. They monitor my internet access. No posting from work computers .....but my smart phone on the other hand.....

"Lurker"

Status

PSN ID: ReeceJM
    Yeah i always thought Randy was from his army past, i remember Angel saying at the start- "I swear one of them looked like the commander".
    Maybe the commander is Randy- This would also make him a smarter zombie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast