User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    I deliberately didn't include random unimportant mallers, because I was trying to go with characters that tower members knew. However, I think there were a few mentioned including "Poncho" and one with a burnt face (Johnny?). It would be kind of cool if we heard of these characters again, but in reality and part they play is going to be minor, when compared to a passing mention of Hope or Tanya, who are now main characters.
    I got saul, but I'm not a soldier - The Killers...ish

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    I'm just sitting around digging up bones...

I had a thought about this. I think it was either Nik or Crowbar brought it up in another thread.

"that guy on the third floor, I forget his name." Angel tells Michael this when they notice that all the zombie bodies were gone as he describes who was on guard duty last night. We as listeners never hear any subsequent conversations.

But, at the start of the War at the end of Season 1, I am pretty sure Scratch said something like. Shots fired. third floor, Lee Harvey.

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    High Level WikiVeteran10000 Experience Points

Gamertag: Novus Bellator
    Hmm, it is a possibility they could be one and the same, but who ever that guy on the third floor is, he would be dead now. It would be pretty crummy story telling to have some inconsequential dead guy being responsible for much of the story suspense. I did like the Lee Harvey reference though, pretty clever on Scratch's part.
    There is no spoon. - Neo

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    unless he will come up later as some key piece of the backstory, like maybe as the designer of the virus.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    I would not be too quick to write off all the Red Shirts. I agree that most likely they are dead, but Kelly + Tanya et al were preparing for the chopper in the other tower to the south. Scratch et al attacked from the North. We have buildings to the North. Then some Hedges. Then the Tower's Fuel Tanker. Then "The Tower" then the other building. Prior to the mallers the Tower was surrounded by Zombies. So, I infer that the Southern building was not camped. When the Mallers attack, they are counter attacked by Zombies and people in The Tower. It would be possible for Red Shirts to bug-out. After Kalani pulls the Fall of Reach stunt it would be even more of an emphasis to bug-out.

We have Stephen and a bunch of others try to get out in one or more cars. It is certain that one car was overrun. But, maybe one car got away or one or more people from the overrun car got away. If the Zombies are going to chow down or drag-off people it is always possible people put some distance down. Remember, you do not have to be Fast. You just have to be Faster than and have better cardio than Kalani. LOL, yea, I know he wass not in the car. But, I hope you enjoy the reference.

I am sure there were a lot of Red Shirt KIAs. But, there are various mechanisms for sole survivors. Like I always say, If there aint no body then there aint nobody dead.

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    High Level WikiVeteran10000 Experience Points

Gamertag: Novus Bellator
    That does make sense and it is certainly a possibility. It makes me think back to how Saul and Victor don't encounter the Mallers. It seems clear to me that the Mallers didn't go around for some time after Saul and Victor high tailed it. In episode 25-1 you can hear what sounds like a zombie retreat call. I assume this is them fleeing the collapse of the building as mentioned by Scratch in the epilogue of chapter 24. But could it be possible that some Red Shirts were lingering around for the Mallers to catch? Or maybe Saul and Victor were on the opposite side of the Tower rubble as the Mallers were.

I don't know where I was going with this post. It kind of came out as me thinking in text. lol
    There is no spoon. - Neo

"Maintenance Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranBeloved
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    • Lizzy's father serves no purpose in the story other than getting Lizzy her degree which she's using to analyze the Mallers/Talk Bill Down.
    • Kelly's sister disappearing was to set up the dynamic between Tommy and Kelly. I think she's served her purpose.
    • Datu's Family: Simply because of the distance, I'm not sure they will ever appear in L.A. I am of the mind that his children may want to try to find their Dad, but do they have the means to sail from the Philippines to Los Angeles? I think they were used to establish Datu's paternal nature for Hope.
    • Burt's niece was used to establish the lack luster nature of a hybrid in terms of security, and shortly after we were treated to the Hybrid being crushed under the weight of a zombie attack
    • Riley's mother and the story of Robin Hood was used to deepen Riley's archery abilities/background
    • Michael's parents are dead. He's said so in a moment of vulnerability, but since we've heard him talk around it we establish Michael is reserved about revealing personal information.
    • Kalani has turned out to be trustworthy (as of this moment), so I'll believe it when he says CJ is dead. And no other member of the Other Tower can reveal information now: Hope doesn't remember anything, and I'm not convinced Skittles lived there.
    • I think the yachters are dead. They pulled into that harbor to restock and resupply and they probably died while doing it because their only hope for the future floated away from them. I think the point of the yacht was to show that you aren't safe anywhere. Land, Sea, and (now with the introduction of RPG's) air.
    I really enjoyed your analysis. I was listening to a "Red State" podcast with Kevin Smith and the Casting Director and she mentioned breaking down scripts--is that what that is like? With more detail I'm sure. I'd like more discussion of this type just because I find it interesting.

I think one thing that separates good fiction from bad--and is a problem enough that I know it must be hard to overcome--is when characters are easily labeled according to their function in the story. They pop in, contribute their part to the plot, and then pop out. It ranks right up there in Things That Annoy Me with books where all the characters talk and think a like. Overall, not many characters have felt like that to me in WA. The only one I can think of is the girl at the beginning that asks Michael out.
    Last edited by Wicked Sid; Jan 6th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
    SKITTLES?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12