User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The First Born

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    This raises another interesting question... what effect (if any) will Ground Zero have on newborns? Will they but susceptible to the infection? Will they be immune? Will there be a cure found through them?
    I don't think anything has really been established as to the source of the infection. Even calling it an infection is an assumption, so far. Blood and air are out as modes of transmission thus far. I think only bites, possibly scratches, have changed anyone. The not crossing species thing is indicative of a virus, though, isn't it? Can't say I know much about it, really, but with all the theories out there as to the source of the zombies, who knows what may happen to a child born in that environment. Could be alien crossbreeding, or pollinated, or mutated...

Frankly, I would be scared to bring a child into that environment, especially with the source of the predicament so unknown. It could turn into its own set of horrors. *shudder*

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I don't think anything has really been established as to the source of the infection. Even calling it an infection is an assumption, so far. Blood and air are out as modes of transmission thus far. I think only bites, possibly scratches, have changed anyone. The not crossing species thing is indicative of a virus, though, isn't it? Can't say I know much about it, really, but with all the theories out there as to the source of the zombies, who knows what may happen to a child born in that environment. Could be alien crossbreeding, or pollinated, or mutated...

Frankly, I would be scared to bring a child into that environment, especially with the source of the predicament so unknown. It could turn into its own set of horrors. *shudder*
    Using previous episodes as canon, I made the assumption that there is a Ground Zero. At this location in the city something happened and now there are Zeds walking around biting, killing and apparently kidnapping people, no real stretching there. There are areas that make people sick being near, which I could only assume would be ground zero, once more not a terrible distance to stretch. Now knowing these three points, I make the stretch to infection. Not a really long way to go, and really works best to avoid catching myself in the trap of 'could be aliens, could be systemic, could be God fuckin with us.' Given that Tommy was bitten, then shortly thereafter turned into one of the Zeds... the case for a systemic infection is strengthened. Saul's contact with Tommy, the bullet and blood also stengthens the case as the infection may very well have been neutralized by the heat from the bullet or simply a natural immunity. Viruses have crossed species in the past: Marburg, Ebola, Mad Cow, hanta, HIV, influenza, nipah... all very real, very dangerous viruses. This only raises further questions. Sigh.

If it is a virus/disease and it is not showing signs of having crossed the species barrier, does that strengthen the case for a strain that is targeted specifically toward humans? I would go out on a limb and say that it does, which leads me along the lines of it being a man-made pathogen of some sort. Who else would want to kill off huge sections of the population? Does this completely rule out animals as potential carries for the virus? I'm not positive that it does. We've seen the 'Zombie Virus' carried in animals in the past, though I'm hopeful that won't occur in this particular universe.

Obviously nothing has been established and these are only assumptions or this wouldn't be in theories... I just really hope it isn't something as lame as aliens :P
    Last edited by Osiris; Jul 10th, 2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: additional awesome
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Viruses have crossed species in the past: Marburg, Ebola, Mad Cow, hanta, HIV, influenza, nipah... all very real, very dangerous viruses.
    Quick science note, mad cow disease is prion based. I think prions have come up before on this forum and, for me, are genuinely fascinating and terrifying.

Getting back on topic. I didnt agree with the initial views that Lizzy was pregnant, I thought it was much more likely to be a "symptom" of what she was going through at the time. Now that element of the story has persisted and the idea from this thread of contraception during a zombie apocolypse have got me thinking I could be wrong..

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    @Gunslinger and Osiris:
    I don't think it was proven that the bullet that hit Saul went through Tommy first, just speculation by Burt.
    Also, Tommy got a cut during the first pipe bomb, and when the jumper got hit with a shotgun, blood and guts went on Tommys cut and infected him.

On topic: IF Lizzy is pregnant and having morning sickness, then it is worth noting that Scratch may want her for this reason. Seeing as the reason Scratch changes her mind and wants her alive as soon as she sees that she is sick.
    Last edited by GD_Elite; Jul 10th, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
    I got saul, but I'm not a soldier - The Killers...ish

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by symon_r View Post
    Quick science note, mad cow disease is prion based. I think prions have come up before on this forum and, for me, are genuinely fascinating and terrifying.

Getting back on topic. I didnt agree with the initial views that Lizzy was pregnant, I thought it was much more likely to be a "symptom" of what she was going through at the time. Now that element of the story has persisted and the idea from this thread of contraception during a zombie apocolypse have got me thinking I could be wrong..
    She may or may not be. I'm not saying with absolute certainty that she is, it just struck me that she may be and as such I ran with the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by GD_Elite View Post
    @Gunslinger and Osiris:
    I don't think it was proven that the bullet that hit Saul went through Tommy first, just speculation by Burt.
    Also, Tommy got a cut during the first pipe bomb, and when the jumper got hit with a shotgun, blood and guts went on Tommys cut and infected him.
    Good catch. My bad and duly noted, sir.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GD_Elite View Post
    @Gunslinger and Osiris:

On topic: IF Lizzy is pregnant and having morning sickness, then it is worth noting that Scratch may want her for this reason. Seeing as the reason Scratch changes her mind and wants her alive as soon as she sees that she is sick.
    Oh, I forgot how Tommy got infected... ugh... that is something. I don' t know what prions are, is that what they were talking about when they mentioned something to do with "protein strains" or something like that? Like I said, I don't actually know anything about disease or how it works... I just thought I had heard that they don't usually cross species, which is what makes the ones that do particularly nasty. If that's not the case, its all good, just thought I'd heard that. I don't know jack or scheitt. =)

"Hunter"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran
    If, and I say If, the cause of the events is an infection then possibly killed/ inactive particles could be circulating in the air. I'm not any sort of expert on these things so feel free to correct me at any point. So the survivors could be growing immunity to the infection. This could result in there children being immune to the infection. See "The Stand" (Steven King) for an example.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    Scratch, you effing genius....

so what evidence do we have of Lizzie being pregnant?....vomit. At every point she is drug to Lizzie seems to on que...vomit

Perhaps scratch noted this and regardless of whether or not Lizzie is pregnant or not, scratch ran with the idea. If someone in the Z/A is with child...9 times out if 10...somebody is going to be looking for her..bargaing chip deluxe

I'll almost guarantee scratch makes the claim to Saul that lizzies pregnant before Lizzie ever gets the chance to address it. Incentive for her to get what she wants(pegs)....

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points

Steam ID: AwkwardAlex1

'Hooray, another mouth to feed... great.'

Discuss.

Who bets that will qoute will be Kelly?

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    I think there are zombie spores that are in the air around Ground Zero and that these spores are insiminating
    the women. Riley, however, has not been insiminated because maybe her baby making parts are not working and is perhaps part of the reason she likes females. There would be no "We should have a baby" talk.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast