User Tag List

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points

PSN ID: HorrorHiro

Question Have the Mallers and Colony learned from each other?

According to Glenn and Pete the Mallers became the Colony's new regime by using words, not bullets. Glenn said that everyone pretty much fell in line and got back to the positions they had prior to the Mallers joining their numbers. We don't know if the Mallers really had any formal ranking system prior to the Colony, but we do know that the Colony had various ranks and positions within the hierarchy. If everyone at the Colony just did what they were doing prior to the numbers boost and change in leadership does that mean the Mallers learned from how they did things and applied that too themselves? Do the Mallers just identify themselves as the Colony's new defense force, or something along those lines?

And the Mallers were pretty nomadic after they left the Mall. They developed a lot of ways of getting around certain obstacles, such as the "scouts" that were/are apparently responsible for clearing the roads. While at the Mall they had watch towers where gunmen would be able to defend the Mall from a safe distance. Does anyone think that any of these ways that the Mallers did things carried over at all to the Colony?
    Last edited by HorrorHiro; Jun 17th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorHiro View Post
    According to Glenn and Pete the Mallers became the Colony's new regime by using words, not bullets. Glenn said that everyone pretty much fell in line and got back to the positions they had prior to the Mallers joining their numbers. We don't know if the Mallers really had any formal ranking system prior to the Colony, but we do know that the Colony had various ranks and positions within the hierarchy. If everyone at the Colony just did what they were doing prior to the numbers boost and change in leadership does that mean the Mallers learned from how they did things and applied that too themselves? Do the Mallers just identify themselves as the Colony's new defense force, or something along those lines?

And the Mallers were pretty nomadic after they left the Mall. They developed a lot of ways of getting around certain obstacles, such as the "scouts" that were/are apparently responsible for clearing the roads. While at the Mall they had watch towers where gunmen would be able to defend the Mall from a safe distance. Does anyone think that any of these ways that the Mallers did things carried over at all to the Colony?
    I think it's inevitable that the Mallers would have adopted a lot of the Colony's procedures and policies. For one thing there are a lot of things going on at the Colony that the Mallers just weren't doing before, like farming and running the medical facility. I expect that most of the Colony folks have just kept on doing what they were doing, just with new bosses. Remember that Victor said that the guards he saw in the watch towers were the same guys he remembered.

But I'll bet that there is a Praetorian Guard of heavily armed Mallers standing by, ready to deal with anyone who gets any ideas. And the various scouts and scavengers who get to travel outside the Colony have probably been replaced by Mallers.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points

PSN ID: HorrorHiro
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    I think it's inevitable that the Mallers would have adopted a lot of the Colony's procedures and policies. For one thing there are a lot of things going on at the Colony that the Mallers just weren't doing before, like farming and running the medical facility. I expect that most of the Colony folks have just kept on doing what they were doing, just with new bosses. Remember that Victor said that the guards he saw in the watch towers were the same guys he remembered.

But I'll bet that there is a Praetorian Guard of heavily armed Mallers standing by, ready to deal with anyone who gets any ideas. And the various scouts and scavengers who get to travel outside the Colony have probably been replaced by Mallers.
    I feel like Durai would have made an effort to integrate the armed force that the Colony already had with the Mallers forces. Denying those who get outside access the ability to do what they had been doing would go against that, and I just don't see Durai, Scratch, or anyone else in the Mallers hierarchy waisting an able bodied WILLING foot soldier.

Now I could see Durai ordering Mallers to accompany the Scavengers and who ever else is allowed to travel outside.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    But really, what difference would it make?...lets say the same colony scouts stay on their own scouting missions....yea, sure they could run, but to where? And why?...near as I can tell there's would likely be one or the more comfy positions in the newly maller-ized colony.

No doubt durai recognized that so long as you make the only option the best option...people are far less likely to search out their own..options
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWiki AmateurVeteran
    Yeah, I think it is very likely that the two groups have learned from each other.

I'm very interested in finding out how Gatekeeper and Bixby have done, since the Maller takeover. I have a feeling that Gatekeeper is still doing okay. He might have had to give up the actual leadership to Durai, but I'm sure he's found some way to make himself useful to the Mallers.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Take our man Victor as an example. He knew things were not right in the Colony but he just kept doing his job. Of course he was probably somewhere in the middle position in that society so he would probably be keeping his head down like everyone else.

The only people with a problem with the Mallers would be the folks at the people in charge.

One thing I would like to add about Michael and his crew taking the guns and ammo. I think they saved more lives by doing so. If the Mallers staged a full scale attack then the Colony would have had more of its citizens killed.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post
    But really, what difference would it make?...lets say the same colony scouts stay on their own scouting missions....yea, sure they could run, but to where? And why?...near as I can tell there's would likely be one or the more comfy positions in the newly maller-ized colony.

No doubt durai recognized that so long as you make the only option the best option...people are far less likely to search out their own..options
    Two big differences between the Colony pre and post Maller takeover. First, pre-Mallers the Colony didn't know of anyplace else to go. Now they know that other groups have survived, and they have the hope of finding Michael and the Tower survivors, especially if they've been seeing helicopters flying about. Second, we know that conditions at the Colony got worse after the Mallers took over. We have Glen and Pete's comments to go by, as well as the fact that two people with comparatively cushy jobs like theirs would run off.

I don't see the Mallers as the trusting type, and I think it's unlikely that anyone other than the most trusted Mallers gets to spend any time outside the Colony's walls.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    Idunno man, much as I wanna argue with your points...the simple fact is until we have hard facts both our opinions are just that...opinions.

I will say this though....are the guardians on point at the colony armed? And is their a battalion of mallers with their own guns trained on the guardians at all times?...we can only guess at that answer, but I'm saying no. That's a waste of manpower...

Again sometimes a really good "only option" is the best option.
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    I don't think anyone from the Colony has seen choppers flying by. Pete and Glen just headed north because thats where Michael was from. They saw the choppers when they were a little closer to LA.

As a side note, if Ft. Irwin had choppers making runs near the Colony I would assume a pilot would have seen it by now and action may have been taken. Then again maybe not. I am not of the military mind but as an option to throw out there lets say that Irwin does know of the Colony. It may be more sensible from a logistics standpoint to simply keep tabs on the colony, scouts watching it. Than it is to go in and try and tell the inhabitants "Its Boulder or Army".

But I digress.

To the topic of this thread, Durai seemed like a very sharp minded person. As 7oddisdead stated above he has a talent of making the best option sound like it is the only option. I am sure when they approached the colony they used the same technique as with the Tower. Surround it with what looks like an overwhelming force and then make contact. Say something like we just want to help you yada, yada.