User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: no scouts??

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    BloggerVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunja View Post
    its only like 250 miles round trip... the roads in the desert won't be clogged like the ones in the city... that could be made on one tank of gas.... I'm just thinking of 28 days later... where the men went rouge
    A couple things...

#1 - On a good day the roads are full, yet not clogged...

#2 - The roads East are mostly 2 lanes

#3 - a Holiday weekend you can wait HOURS to go anywhere East...

So to assume the roads would be clear would be suicidal. To assume anyone would reach the base with NO OPPOSITION is also. I assume Michale wants no scouts as to what happened when he scouted South... Best to have all your eggs in one basket to protect and to attack, if need be.
    “Live as you would have wished to live when you are dying...”

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    I still do not like it.

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance and the most important thing to consider is logistics. An air Bourne assault will require resupply in two to three days. What is the contingency plan for a destroyed base?

I assume the terrain is much like I have seen from San Diego to Temecula. Cars are not the only means of transportation and roads are not the only route. Over the past few days, cars, trucks and hummers have drawn little attention. Dirt bike baby.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Fuel, Time, Danger, equipment, distance and training. Those are the reasons.
    -"it's only 250 miles rountrip" on a good day. It already takes 4 hours to get from one spot to the next in LA as it is. There is no refueling. This takes care of Distance as well.

- It takes 4 hours to get out of LA then you hit the burbs which will add more congestion. They only have the hummer to go off road. Time wasted. They'd need to find secure places to hold up during hours of darkness.

- Unknown dangers and known threats but unknown locations. They know there are infected, they don't know the strength(numbers) of the infected as they go further away from base. It could very well end up a one way trip or a half way.. one fourth way...

- They only have CB radios now. Limited range(leedo, no need to rehash what we already talked about on another thread concerning this very subject) Weapons, limited rounds. Properly equiped vehicle. Food, Water and medical supplies

- Victor, Saul and Burt are the only ones skilled enough to go out on their own. You'd have to have someone skilled or you end up wasting all of the above resources.
    Victor has exp from the Colony
    Saul has exp from The "Stan"
    Burt has exp from The "Nam"
    Each one of them has been BOG (boots on ground) during some intense times

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Dirt bikes have much greater maneuverabiity than the hummer and burn less fuel.

With the exception of distance, nearly everything said about the army base can also be said about Edwards. If there is one place that will have large suppies of JP5 it is an air force base. An air assault on Edwards still leaves more than enough fuel to return to the tower if things are too hot and does not require an all-in gambit.

Once a portion of Edwards is secured, they can still check out the other fort.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    I hear you. I'd go to edwards myself, but I'm biased. ROFL! It's only shorter by so much though. They just don't have enough people. The only way I see this happening is an all out blitz. It's do or die. Everyone goes. Hail mary pass.
    They hopscotch from spot to spot.
    The thing about a cycle is that there is no protection. They may be more maneuverable, but they're at the mercy of the elements, runners and not just anyone can jump on one and go like you can in car.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:

I have to double check. I thought it was about 1/2 way. Since this is all in our minds, I think the side streets as being pretty damn clear. We have seen a couple of examples of driving at 55mph. So, in my world, Freeways are F*-up while side streets are a go.

Hmm... maybe you are right, not just anyone can ride a dirt bike. I pretty much grew up on one, so I forget. Saul is a possibility. So is Lizzie. Unless Todd was an unnamed member of the Brady Bunch he probably did more than work on bikes. (yes, I realize that at the time of printing we do not have Lizzie)

I do not consider the elements a threat. As for the runners, from what we have seen, they run to the target. We have not seen them run to where the target will be.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    A rain storm in a world with debris scattered everywhere, and with creatures that don't care if it's raining and throw in a novice rider... disaster. limited visability and no protection. disaster. All it takes is a runner or a not so often seen jumper laying in wait and your done. In a car or truck your protected via overhead coverage and the metal shell.
    Question: can't you hear a dirt bike or most motorcycles from a good distance away?
    It's just me, but I'd never give up safety for agility. If you're trapped on a bike, your trapped. If you're trapped in a truck/car you have the option of making mashed zombie taters.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:

Depends on the bike. Most motor cycles leave the factory running more quietly than they do on the road. But, people knock the baffles out to make them louder. As for runner or Jumper or a possible portal to Oz, the way I figure it is KC writing this so if I am supposed to get there I am golden, but he might put a red piece of paper on my back that says "eat me".

"Gatherer"

Status
    If you think about it, you don't even need to send scouts to Fort Irwin. If its as well prepared as Michael said they should have a radio or some such. It would be easier if the survivors searched for some sort of radio gear at the National Guard station or heck just pick up a phone. Angel or Michael should know of some general emergency military radio frequencies to contact them.

And if someone does answer they can even throw out some military lingo to feel out if it is military they are talking to or just some bad guys faking it, a la Marcus.

Also if no one does answer they can expect the worst and go in weapons at the ready.

Come on, it wouldn't hurt to try.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneTwo View Post
    If you think about it, you don't even need to send scouts to Fort Irwin. If its as well prepared as Michael said they should have a radio or some such. It would be easier if the survivors searched for some sort of radio gear at the National Guard station or heck just pick up a phone. Angel or Michael should know of some general emergency military radio frequencies to contact them.

And if someone does answer they can even throw out some military lingo to feel out if it is military they are talking to or just some bad guys faking it, a la Marcus.

Also if no one does answer they can expect the worst and go in weapons at the ready.

Come on, it wouldn't hurt to try.
    GeneTwo,

I wish it was just that easy to throw some Mil lingo and call it a day if someone answers back with a "good" response. Sadly, it isn't. Any badguy with a military background can do that. The other thing is that they (The Tower) would have to broadcast on a wide spectrum in the hopes of reaching anyone. That's piss poor SA when you know you have hostiles in your AO.
    -Another thing is they HAVE upgraded their comm, but they did it too late in the game. The Mallers had all the intel they needed via the Mole and monitoring the airwaves.

Having said all that, this thread is kinda moot now considering they have a helo and are presently underway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast