User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Zombie" Virus

I think that's just Paul. Remember while they were heading towards teh arena Riley pierced one of them through the leg with an arrow and it just kept walking. I think only the very smart ones can feel pain.
    Last edited by kafu288; Apr 19th, 2011 at 07:16 AM.

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    You might also be reading too much into it. Remember that vampires don't have blood circulation, thus can't get erections and they're still representing sexuality. It doesn't ALL have to make sense.
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

"Scavenger"

Status
    We have enough story clues to determine that the creatures (1) breathe (2) have brain function (3) have some degree of functional circulation, implying a beating heart (4) retain some of the same metabolic functions as humans

Michael's anesthesia experiments during the GPS tagging confirm all of the above. For gas anesthesia to work you have to breathe it in, transfer it to circulation via gas exchange in the lungs, transfer the drug to the brain & body via the circulation. The creatures rapidly adapted to the drug which indicates some hepatic or renal function (again proving circulation as a corollary) as drugs are typically metabolized and excreted via a combination of those two systems.

Therefore, the creatures are not "zombies" in the traditional dead sense of the word. They are alive in some sense, just not normal humans.

This works from a physiology standpoint. Does it work according to the rules of Kc's universe? I think so. It's right there in the story.

Or have I got it all wrong?
    Last edited by wooly; Apr 20th, 2011 at 07:30 AM.

"Builder"

Status
    Wooly I believe you nailed it, plus there is a discussion as to whether the zombies have a heat index which would also support fluid circulation.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant: if I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven Such is the rule of honor.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wooly View Post
    We have enough story clues to determine that the creatures (1) breathe (2) have brain function (3) have some degree of functional circulation, implying a beating heart (4) retain some of the same metabolic functions as humans

Michael's anesthesia experiments during the GPS tagging confirm all of the above. For gas anesthesia to work you have to breathe it in, transfer it to circulation via gas exchange in the lungs, transfer the drug to the brain & body via the circulation. The creatures rapidly adapted to the drug which indicates some hepatic or renal function (again proving circulation as a corollary) as drugs are typically metabolized and excreted via a combination of those two systems.

Therefore, the creatures are not "zombies" in the traditional dead sense of the word. They are alive in some sense, just not normal humans.

This works from a physiology standpoint. Does it work according to the rules of Kc's universe? I think so. It's right there in the story.

You've got it all entirely wrong!.....

.....now if I can just find where you got it all entirely wrong I will gladly let you know.... Great job piecing together the clues. I think this is the most coherent analysis of the zombies "status" I've seen on here.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly View Post

Wooly... you ROCK! That was an outstanding post! Hoorahh!

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    If Wooly's theory is correct (as it very well seems to be, good job!), doesn't that mean that nerve agents and other poisons could be deployed against the zombies?
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    If Wooly's theory is correct (as it very well seems to be, good job!), doesn't that mean that nerve agents and other poisons could be deployed against the zombies?
    It could, but it would be rendered ineffective after one or two uses. Much like with the chloroform, they would (in theory) build an immunity to it shortly after.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    It could, but it would be rendered ineffective after one or two uses. Much like with the chloroform, they would (in theory) build an immunity to it shortly after.
    Only if they survive. You need to be alive to develope an immunity, and if the nerve agent/poison is effective, the targets would be killed. It would of course have to be powerful enough to kill them before they developed an immunity
    Disclaimer!

"Lurker"

Status
    I cant actually remember any of the Zombies being " re-animated " so to speak. People are either ripped apart and eaten or they get infected and change. Cant recall anyone coming back from the dead. In theory, if its an infection then a cure could be found.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast