User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    "Lurker"

Status
    I just finished episode 34 and it occurred to me that all the female characters have become royal b*****s of some sort or another, while the male characters are oh-so-caring and patient. Did the writer's girlfriend just dump him or something?

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2witt View Post
    I just finished episode 34 and it occurred to me that all the female characters have become royal b*****s of some sort or another, while the male characters are oh-so-caring and patient. Did the writer's girlfriend just dump him or something?
    Oh, hi... what a thoughtful first post. I'm not sure how to best answer your question... maybe you could re-phrase it...
    Likes LiamKerrington liked this post
    joint-point-counter-joint

Updater of the Wiki

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassPro Level Wiki EditorLOVED TO DEATH25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: G00er PSN ID: Gooergaming Steam ID: Gooergaming
    Huh.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

Steam ID: Merlin1274
    No that's not the case.. Maybe the women are little stressed with the men they care about and lot of crap on their plates as well.. No every can remain calm and collective during the Zombie apocalypse...

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

I am pretty sure you have missed like nearly 1/3 of the show with a lot of things going on until #48 ... Maybe you would (and I ask you that you _should_) reconsider your statement then ...
    Besides: the biggest royal bitch up until #34 has been Saul ...
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

True. Saul a lil' bitch.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Did the writer get dumped.... Ummmm... No. Not even close.

If I remember this correctly (please call me on this if I am wrong), Kc & Blair got married over the break between seasons 3 & 4. So they would have been talking about or plaining the wedding around chapter 34.

Also I would not call any of the guys "oh-so caring & patient". Passive aggressive sounds about right tough. 😏

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GamerGirl View Post
    Did the writer get dumped.... Ummmm... No. Not even close.

If I remember this correctly (please call me on this if I am wrong), Kc & Blair got married over the break between seasons 3 & 4. So they would have been talking about or plaining the wedding around chapter 34.

Also I would not call any of the guys "oh-so caring & patient". Passive aggressive sounds about right tough. 
    I have vague recollections about talk of a wedding, but I think it was a smoke screen. KC married his cat. Pretty sure no woman would put up with his bullshit whining about being sick.
    Likes Gooer liked this post

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Hi everyone! I'm brand new to We're Alive. I'm only on Chapter 10 and enjoying every minute so far! But on the topic of the female characters, I did find it interesting that the series perpetuated subtle, institutional sexism in the way the characters interact with each other. I partly wonder whether it was intentional, but it doesn't really matter if it wasn't. I think if you pay attention to how the male characters interact with each other and with their female counterparts, the show actually highlights some of the major issues women face in a male-dominated society - specifically, the assumption that women are weak/unintelligent/illogical/lesser than.

It was very noticeable to me that our main heroes carry around certain assumptions. They assume men (in general) are capable until the men prove otherwise (like putting faith in Datu to get certain things done and done right). They also assume women (in general) are incapable until the women prove themselves capable. The most glaring instance of this so far (remember - I'm only at Chapter 10!) is when Lizzie goes with Saul and Burt on their supply mission. Burt assumes Lizzie can't shoot until she decapitates a few zombies with three quick pops of her gun. Saul immediately dismisses Lizzie's hypothesis about the zombie driving a car until she proves it point by point. Then, it seemed like the very next opportunity the guys had to affirm their own beliefs that Lizzie is somehow inferior to them, they pounce on it. ("Educated idiot if you ask me...")

There's also the immediate dismissal of Riley's abilities with a bow and arrow as useless. The men (Angel in particular) demeaned the idea of using arrows until Riley proved that a bow could be a useful weapon on multiple occasions. Although this might be attributed on the surface to a preference for firearms and perhaps ignorance as to the usefulness of bows, I think Angel, Michael and the others were very quick to dismiss the skill as useless without even inquiring as to why Riley believed it useful. They didn't give her the same benefit of the doubt that Michael afforded 16 year old Tommy and his camera.

Anyway, those are just my two cents on the topic. Looking forward to what happens next!

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by cypress View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm brand new to We're Alive. I'm only on Chapter 10 and enjoying every minute so far! But on the topic of the female characters, I did find it interesting that the series perpetuated subtle, institutional sexism in the way the characters interact with each other. I partly wonder whether it was intentional, but it doesn't really matter if it wasn't. I think if you pay attention to how the male characters interact with each other and with their female counterparts, the show actually highlights some of the major issues women face in a male-dominated society - specifically, the assumption that women are weak/unintelligent/illogical/lesser than.

It was very noticeable to me that our main heroes carry around certain assumptions. They assume men (in general) are capable until the men prove otherwise (like putting faith in Datu to get certain things done and done right). They also assume women (in general) are incapable until the women prove themselves capable. The most glaring instance of this so far (remember - I'm only at Chapter 10!) is when Lizzie goes with Saul and Burt on their supply mission. Burt assumes Lizzie can't shoot until she decapitates a few zombies with three quick pops of her gun. Saul immediately dismisses Lizzie's hypothesis about the zombie driving a car until she proves it point by point. Then, it seemed like the very next opportunity the guys had to affirm their own beliefs that Lizzie is somehow inferior to them, they pounce on it. ("Educated idiot if you ask me...")

There's also the immediate dismissal of Riley's abilities with a bow and arrow as useless. The men (Angel in particular) demeaned the idea of using arrows until Riley proved that a bow could be a useful weapon on multiple occasions. Although this might be attributed on the surface to a preference for firearms and perhaps ignorance as to the usefulness of bows, I think Angel, Michael and the others were very quick to dismiss the skill as useless without even inquiring as to why Riley believed it useful. They didn't give her the same benefit of the doubt that Michael afforded 16 year old Tommy and his camera.

Anyway, those are just my two cents on the topic. Looking forward to what happens next!
    Educated idiot: Doesn't know the difference between diesel and unleaded... Doesn't know how to use a clutch... Can't function in the real world.
    No one believed Liz on the ambush idea because: a zombie driving a car? Really? That is something no one could believe, or would even want to.
    Plus, it's only natural to think that Burt and Saul are superior to Liz, because SPOILER ALERT:
    SPOILER 

Riley's bow was quickly dismissed because it is a sloppy weapon. A gun is a more advanced version of the bow. It is more accurate, and shoots many more rounds per second. Not many people know how to wield a bow as well as Riley. A gun is just the more appropriate option.

Tommy received a much more positive response to his cameras simply because he explained it's uses and further possibilities immediately and a very easily portable security camera in such a situation is instantly recognizable as a highly valued piece of equipment.

No sexism here!

Oh, and please donate to the TFWA Lockdown Kickstarter.
    Last edited by Kc; Jun 16th, 2015 at 09:25 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast