User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

The IT limits of story breadcrumbs

Hello everyone,

I love everything about chapter 39, it is really a nice example of great storytelling. Nevertheless, I feel ambivalent about how Michael's group gather the information and even found handwritten notes. In addition, Raydon Labs does not seem to be a top notch reference for a biotech firm, Michael mentioned storage boards and white boards in Doc Roberts room. Personally, I would not have expected the room to look like this and it does not make it easier for me that Doc Roberts is able to pull off z-day whilst being so careless about his notes.

First of all, Raydon Labs security standards appear to have been quite lax when all that is between an intruder and Raydon's biotech knowledge is a padlock and so mechanical devices. With regards to other enterprises, I would have expected substantial more security measures, e.g. like this policy or like this one. Baseline: each and every information has to be encrypted. A printer, an USB device or external computational device may provide a potential security thread.

Furthermore - and to a lesser intent, Dr Roberts does not seem to rely on computer aided chemistry tools which are around for quite some years, cf. here.

And now, well, my question is - as desirable as it seems to have a satisfying explanation for z-day, just how big is the chance to gather the necessary information in a world that relies heavily on IT structures and data exchange? Would there be enough breadcrumb trails left to reconstruct what led to the outbreak?

Please do not regard this thread as criticism. I just fell compelled to write it.

YABC

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    I do not think we have seen anything that merits security so far at this facility. Some random notes. Some prescription drugs and some For Research Use Only recombinant proteins. This might only be the tip of the ice burg and Raydon Labs may be much darker, but for now it is more closely related to a cosmetics lab than world ender.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsBeloved1 year registered
    I've said it before on other threads but your awesome analysts confirms it that much more... I don't believe Raydon Labs has anything to do with the outbreak. I believe it is just some sort of pharma company and this building may be more of a distribution center than anything. I think Ink and the good Doc Roberts were related (perhaps father and son) and Ink remembers that he can find some chemicals he needs at Dad's old work and sends some troops out to retrieve them. I think that is as far as Raydon goes.
    [FONT=verdana][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][B]Meat and Girth [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]:squint:

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsBeloved1 year registered
    But I agree, even then a pharma company would manage pretty much everything online except probably shipping manifests and physical inventory count sheets and such.
    [FONT=verdana][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][B]Meat and Girth [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]:squint:

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Grognaurd View Post
    I do not think we have seen anything that merits security so far at this facility. Some random notes. Some prescription drugs and some For Research Use Only recombinant proteins. This might only be the tip of the ice burg and Raydon Labs may be much darker, but for now it is more closely related to a cosmetics lab than world ender.
    Yes, that is what I am saying. RL does not seem to be the source of the pandemic. I am just having a hard time believing it.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit9014 View Post
    I've said it before on other threads but your awesome analysts confirms it that much more... I don't believe Raydon Labs has anything to do with the outbreak. I believe it is just some sort of pharma company and this building may be more of a distribution center than anything. I think Ink and the good Doc Roberts were related (perhaps father and son) and Ink remembers that he can find some chemicals he needs at Dad's old work and sends some troops out to retrieve them. I think that is as far as Raydon goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit9014 View Post
    But I agree, even then a pharma company would manage pretty much everything online except probably shipping manifests and physical inventory count sheets and such.
    I concur, too.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    BTW, there has been a pretty advanced IT system where very illegal chemical substances could be purchased: Silk Road a.k.a. the Ebay of drugs. And guess what, the person who run it used the pseudonym "Dread Pirate Roberts".

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredWiki AmateurLoved5000 Experience Points

Gamertag: skankyfish PSN ID: MrsFresh Steam ID: skankyfish Raptr ID: skankyfish
    You've put your finger on it! I had a subconscious feeling that Radon is a bit player, not a leading part, and I think this is why. I feel like whatever they used to do was fairly mundane, low-security, low-tech stuff.

Unless it's just dramatic license.....? The anticipation is killing me, and I've a horrible feeling Chapter 40's going to go somewhere else entirely (Burt & Riley?) and leave us hanging for another 5 weeks.

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Extreme Love25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Grognaurd View Post
    Maybe that is the whole story in a nut shell....... cosmetics companys are taking over the world....... maybe all the zombies just put on a little too much makeup one morning and thats what caused them to turn!!!!

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gnex View Post
    Maybe that is the whole story in a nut shell....... cosmetics companys are taking over the world....... maybe all the zombies just put on a little too much makeup one morning and thats what caused them to turn!!!!
    Not too far fetched ... LG started as a cosmetics company ... And look where they are ... They have become kind of a global player in electronics ... What's next?
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast