User Tag List

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    "Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Extreme Love25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Maybe they made the tunnels with Magic?!?! oh wait...... we aren't allowed to use the "M" word!!!!
    Likes Mama_Chita, Verse liked this post

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWell Liked1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnex View Post
    Maybe they made the tunnels with Magic?!?! oh wait...... we aren't allowed to use the "M" word!!!!
    "Magic is just science we don't understand." - Thor.
    Likes Mama_Chita liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsBeloved

Quote Originally Posted by GeneraLee View Post

I'm with you if it was some instant language, but I think that's not the case. The symbols that Datu read, he said they just "mean something", so to me, that sounds like it's more recognition, rather than anything else. Or, maybe it's just how their brains are re-wired now. So many physical and mental changes occur, maybe it's still English, just how they can read it. But what if someone didn't speak English, then change? Could they still read it?

The other possibility is that once you change, some innate qualities come out just from changing. They obviously act different, maybe there's some sort of suppressed instinct that comes out that's a genetic response. Sort of like those butterflies that know exactly where to migrate, but the journey takes literally 3 generations to get to where they are going. Similar to birds. The way they travel is thought to also be sort of a pattern recognition. What if by changing, this sort of unlocked that part of the brain?

The other part is that we know they can communicate, they get called to and away from areas. We can't understand it, but they can, so this already exists in the series. Pharamones play a part, I'm sure based on the sweat stuff, but from long distances, they'd have to know how to respond. Ink couldn't have trained all of them, so something like this must already be instinctual.

I agree that it is instinctual. Only thing missing is to have KC say "Yep" on that IMO. There is simple to much evidence to type out on that. Them running in packs. Directing each other. Ect. I am ok with that. That makes sense. The 'Understanding of Language' (and it is a Language. If you see a symbol and know what it means... thats a Language.) is what has bothered me and others. You get bitten and you suddenly you see symbols that convey feelings. Still a Language that your learned when bitten which is crap.

That being said...

I am almost ok with it if it turns out to be like your Bird/Butterfly thing. It would fit the story. They have said multiple times that Zeds act like animals. That is just another part of that same idea. Awesome idea. I can get behind that.

I think this isn't the case. The colony had to support upwards of what, 60 or 70 people, not single digits. Dunbar, I'm sure, has enough water and supplies stored up to support about 10 people for a while, and with the rain I'm sure there's rain catchers too. The colonists are leaving(/left?) because they can't sustain that # long term.

Sure Riley and Burt have supplies for themselves, but enough to support a lot more people, long term? Naw. And the story doesn't say that Dunbar doesn't have more. And Burt wouldn't invite a bunch of random colonists to stay with him. He seems like he would only want people useful to him. Having Saul and others stay with them could just add more strain to a supply meant for only two people. I think Burt offering is more of a "I miss you" sort of thing.

Burt and Riley seemed to be inviting Saul, and maybe a few others to stay there, and honestly, just security wise, if I were Saul, I wouldn't go. Dunbar is far more secure. A little hideout might be ok for one or two people. More than that, it wouldn't be wise. We know what happens to larger #'s in groups.

Oh, and Saul's having a baby with Lizzy, like Saul can just leave her, and then who would that leave? Tanya can't go because of Lizzy. Kelly? Right, Burt would LOVE that. Hope- not sure about her. Pegs would stay with Michael, and Michael wouldn't leave.

Yeah, I don't think anyone outside of Saul knows how Bad Ass Burt and Co are living. I think the offer was more of a being nice thing. Like when you offer something to someone knowing they will not take you up on it. You're being nice knowing it will never happen.

I don't think Burt would/did offer to anyone esle. He likes to do his own thing. When you add other people in then you have to stop doing that. You have to look for more food/ammo/ect and take other people into mind when you do things. With him and Riely he doesn't have to do anything unless he wants to. Being in another active group takes that away. He doesn't want to sacrifice any of that.

My tinfoil hat theroy is that Burt and Riely don't make it and Saul/Lizzy take over. Make it their place.

Oh, and for the Kelly-hate right now. She's never gone up against a Behemoth before, and three soldiers got got offed by them. I can imagine she's a little freaked out. I'd find it fishy if she was all calm and collective.

I agree. Kelly has never been a "Lets go on Missions!!" kinda person. She stepped up to the plate with Michael, but that was because they were looking for others. Not gunning down walking tank. She likes to help, but from a safe place. To be fair she always bitches and moans, but comes through. I would have been mad if she didn't help. True to Kelly form though.. she moaned and groaned but did it.

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWell Liked1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Verse View Post
    I agree that it is instinctual. Only thing missing is to have KC say "Yep" on that IMO. There is simple to much evidence to type out on that. Them running in packs. Directing each other. Ect. I am ok with that. That makes sense. The 'Understanding of Language' (and it is a Language. If you see a symbol and know what it means... thats a Language.) is what has bothered me and others. You get bitten and you suddenly you see symbols that convey feelings. Still a Language that your learned when bitten which is crap.

That being said...

I am almost ok with it if it turns out to be like your Bird/Butterfly thing. It would fit the story. They have said multiple times that Zeds act like animals. That is just another part of that same idea. Awesome idea. I can get behind that.
    But language is just advanced pattern recognition. I'm curious if Kc subscribes to the philosophy in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Language-Insti.../dp/0061336467

It describes language as "an instinct, an evolutionary adaptation that is partly "hard-wired" into the brain and partly learned."

IF, that's what he's basing it off of- I wonder if this will come into play "If Pinker is right, the origins of language go much further back than 30,000 years ago (the date most commonly given in textbooks)--perhaps to Homo habilis , who lived 2.5 million years ago, or even eons earlier."

That may seem like a WAG, but it's starting to sound like many of the habits we're seeing aren't new, but possibly previously suppressed. I really don't think he's suggesting that you learn something instantaneously, but rather re-interpret based on something you already know. That falls right in line.

I'm curious... that book is $12 on amazon. I might just order it.
    Likes LiamKerrington, Verse liked this post