User Tag List

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    We're Alive Cast member

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyZombified View Post
    Obviously Robbins is far superior to Victor in every way. He's funnier, a better shot, more handsome than Victor and has killed multiple little ones with the mini gun. That said, I think it was hinted that Victor screwed something up during the four month time jump. In all, Robbins has never screwed up and is much more reliable *puffs chest out proudly*
    No, no señor. Funnier?,...Strike One. Better Shot?,....Strike Two. If Victor had a mini gun,.....What Apocalypse?

Victor didn't screw ANYTHING up,...Michael's just ticked I hit on his girl.
    ALL HAIL GENERAL VICTORIOUS!

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    LOVED TO DEATHVeteran25000 Experience Points

I'm starting to think that Dr. W.I. Roberts isn't actually Ink. He could have been his father and got murdered in his office by Ink for some unknown reason... Hence the police tape. I don't think that we have both walking around as zombies.
    "The whole family was devastated." What family? Did Ink kill his own family?
    I don't know. A tattooed scientist sounds about as weird IMO, but meh...
    Last edited by Storm; Nov 5th, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---

anyone seen my pants?

my important, science-y pants..i seem to have misplaced them. no? oh well, ill try this noise anyways.

so with this chapter we got yet another clue. yet another piece to the "science of zombie" puzzle.
    follistatin

from the wiki

"Follistatin also known as activin-binding protein is a protein that in humans is encoded by the FST gene.[1][2] Follistatin is an autocrine glycoprotein that is expressed in nearly all tissues of higher animals.[2]

Its primary function is the binding and bioneutralization of members of the TGF-β superfamily, with a particular focus on activin, a paracrine hormone.

An earlier name for the same protein was FSH-suppressing protein (FSP). At the time of its initial isolation from follicular fluid, it was found to inhibit the anterior pituitary's secretion of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH)."

now, lets break down this statement.
    im not touching the idea of autocrine glycoproteins..thats cellular level b.s. that I don't get paid to look at. we will however jump at the tgf-B superfamily.

from wiki:
    "The transforming growth factor beta (TGF-β) superfamily is a large family of structurally related cell regulatory proteins that was named after its first member, TGF-β1, originally described in 1983.[2]

Many proteins have since been described as members of the TGF-β superfamily in a variety of species, including invertebrates as well as vertebrates and categorized into 23 distinct gene types that fall into four major subfamilies:[3][4][5]"

"Transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta)[6] is a multifunctional peptide that controls proliferation, differentiation and other functions in many cell types. TGF-beta-1 is a peptide of 112 amino acid residues derived by proteolytic cleavage from the C-terminal of a precursor protein. These proteins interact with a conserved family of cell surface serine/threonine-specific protein kinase receptors, and generate intracellular signals using a conserved family of proteins called SMADs. They play fundamental roles in the regulation of basic biological processes such as growth, development, tissue homeostasis and regulation of the immune system.[3]"

based on that..i followed the thought chain to the next sentence.

"Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) is a hormone found in humans and other animals. It is synthesized and secreted by gonadotrophs of the anterior pituitary gland.[1] FSH regulates the development, growth, pubertal maturation, and reproductive processes of the body. FSH and luteinizing hormone (LH) act synergistically in reproduction."

and last, but not least

"A major organ of the endocrine system, the anterior pituitary, also called the adenohypophysis, is the glandular, anterior lobe that together with the posterior lobe, the (posterior pituitary) makes up the pituitary gland (hypophysis). The anterior pituitary regulates several physiological processes including stress, growth, reproduction and lactation.

Its regulatory functions are achieved through the secretion of various peptide hormones that act on target glands and organs including the adrenal glands, liver, bone, thyroid, and gonads. The anterior pituitary itself is regulated by the hypothalamus and by negative feedback from these targets.

Disorders of the anterior pituitary are generally classified by the of overproduction or underproduction of pituitary hormones. For example, an overproduction of prolactin can give rise to a pituitary adenoma (a benign tumour) called a prolactinoma. In hypopituitarism, the anterior pituitary underproduces one or more of the hormones; panhypopituitarism is the condition where the gland uniformly malfunctions and underproduces all of the hormones. Proper function of the anterior pituitary and of the organs it regulates can often be ascertained via blood tests that measure hormone levels."

all this is found simply by checking under the links within the main wiki on follistatin. now, lets take it one step further and introduce keratin. I found this one on the effects of follistatin on keratinocyte proliferation...from the same wiki. links under gene ontology

http://amigo.geneontology.org/cgi-bi...erm=GO:0043616

"The multiplication or reproduction of keratinocytes, resulting in the expansion of a cell population. Keratinocytes are epidermal cells which synthesize keratin and undergo a characteristic change as they move upward from the basal layers of the epidermis to the cornified (horny) layer of the skin. "

so from all that gibberish(actually this stuff is starting to make sense, that's the sad part) I make a jump. a leap of faith if you will, to the thyroid.

"The thyroid gland or simply, the thyroid /ˈθaɪərɔɪd/, in vertebrate anatomy, is one of the largest endocrine glands. The thyroid gland is found in the neck, below the thyroid cartilage (which forms the laryngeal prominence, or "Adam's apple"). The thyroid gland controls how quickly the body uses energy, makes proteins, and controls how sensitive the body is to other hormones. It participates in these processes by producing thyroid hormones, the principal ones being triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine which can sometimes be referred to as tetraiodothyronine (T4). These hormones regulate the growth and rate of function of many other systems in the body. T3 and T4 are synthesized from iodine and tyrosine. The thyroid also produces calcitonin, which plays a role in calcium homeostasis.

Hormonal output from the thyroid is regulated by thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) produced by the anterior pituitary, which itself is regulated by thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) produced by the hypothalamus."

so basically the leap of faith im making here is the idea that the hypothalamus and pituitary are the initially affected parts of the body. those effects lead to the thyroid, which in turn leads to changes in the liver and kidneys. (likely kidney failure, as we discussed last chapter part) why failure? I don't really see how kidneys would be relevant for the biters. in fact, that could explain a LOT of things.
    *see "pellagra"*
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellagra

well, this is probly more than I wanted to ramble about anyways, so im stopping there. ill touch more on the effects of changes to the thyroid and his metabolic partners in crime in the future..we've got two weeks right?

have fun...or else.
    todd out
    Last edited by 7oddisdead; Nov 5th, 2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: clarification...paris vacation
    Likes Cabbage Patch, Hoff4D, HardKor, scbubba liked this post
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsBeloved
    I felt my heart pumping for the full second half of the episode. I think this might be the best episode so far.
    Somebody mentioned it already, but if Ink tattoed himself with formulas pertaining to his research, that might mean our heroes will have to catch him alive not to risk damaging his skin.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1274 View Post
    I am wondering what the chemicals were all over the floor and if they ate the rubber tires on the truck or melted them. Cause I do not know what could eat rubber other then some hefty solvent but it would take something off the wall, maybe something that was generating a lot of heat cause it was reacting with each other but still. Most hefty chlorinated solvents like Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride) will eat it but takes time. Used it before to remove seals off car parts.. Nitric might do it but ferrous metals would get attacked first. I do have some what of a back ground with this stuff. I have worked for a waste disposal company for 11 yrs. Still do and mainly do plastic recycling now. Still handle some Haz Mat.. Ran into all sorts of nasty when I went to do some on site lab packs and plant clean outs/closures... Its crazy how so really nasty shit is used to make every day items you use.
    this is a good point. I deal with chemicals(cleaning agents) on a daily basis. my first thoughts on this were alkaline chlorides. but the primary chemical that would have to mix with that to produce a stinky, yet not mustard gas-y smell/effect would be a VERY low level acid(think 50:1 or something). the chlorine COULD be enough to eat through the tires, along with a bit of disbelief suspension...but most any mix of chlorine and "insert other chemical here" would likely put Michael and co on their asses within seconds....that sort of thing is nothing for the fucking with.

a better question would be why would a pharma. company have vats of that stuff?
    Likes Merlin1274 liked this post
    KAW

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    LOVED TO DEATHVeteran25000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post
    "The thyroid gland or simply, the thyroid /ˈθaɪərɔɪd/, in vertebrate anatomy, is one of the largest endocrine glands. The thyroid gland is found in the neck, below the thyroid cartilage (which forms the laryngeal prominence, or "Adam's apple").
    Could this be why they go for the neck when attacking? To somehow damage or destroy that gland?
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Could this be why they go for the neck when attacking? To somehow damage or destroy that gland?
    not why I went to the thyroid in the first place,but yea...does kinda fit with the theme, doesn't it??
    KAW

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWiki AmateurLoved3 months registered

Oh and some other thoughtstreams:
    why are there so many broken bottles of the products, and why are the labs so messed up. Has there been some sort of altercation between Randy and whoever resides in the labs? (Ink?)

Is the doping/ steroid use merely to bulk up the existing zombies, or some sort of a way to attempt to prolong their life/ energy as they have started dying off? Stanozolol is listed on wiki as being used: "Veterinarians may prescribe the drug to improve muscle growth, red blood cell production, increase bone density and stimulate the appetite of debilitated or weakened animals"

Oh, and the other item is Aranesp- this is darbopoetin, similar to epo. I'm finding myself forgiving We're Alive for the fact that this would normally be kept in a fridge!!

Hxx
    Likes Storm, Witch_Doctor liked this post

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Was about to say that this could be that the Zs do this to make a kill and prevent the victim from becoming a zombie, but it seems that this chemical is used be Ink and is not naturally produced by Zombies, so the point is moot.
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

So far, what I've gotten from all of the science is that the K-18 gives them tough skin and Ink dopes them to make them big and strong. Just following the trail.
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast