User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Builder"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

In defense of Steven. (Spoilers)

There is a lot of Steven hate going on on the board and so I thought I would go back and revisit Steven's episodes.

Here's the thing: Steven didn't kick out Lizzy. She left voluntarily as she SHOULD HAVE because she broke the rules, because she wanted Burt to maintain leadership while Michael was gone, because she knew that it was the right thing to do (since Burt wasn't going to enforce the rules himself). Burt didn't kick her out because she was in the "inner circle" of Tower residents, but if it were any other character... If it was a character who we didn't know, a character we didn't like? Would we have reacted differently? I think we would have.

Remember when we didn't like Kelly and we cheered when Michael nearly kicked her out? And we were disappointed when she got to stay?

Here's the thing, I don't really like Steven much but we don't have to like all of the characters. Lizzy really did put the inhabitants of the Tower at risk. She fell asleep during guard duty and failed to stop an attack of the garage by six zombies. Burt said pretty clearly that it was lucky that he was going on rounds and was there to take care of it.

Everything that's happened to her since: Horrible. But Steven isn't the blame. He wasn't trying to be a dick. He was trying to make sure that everyone was safe. So with this in mind let's talk about Steven and Pippin.

Steven said, clearly "I don't feel comfortable doing my job with him in there." He was creeped out and suspicious of Pippin... He sounded pretty sure that Pippin couldn't be trusted and was happy to get away from him. Now there are no few forum goers who are saying that this is proof that Steven was the rat and killed Pippin to make sure that Pippin couldn't sell him out. But I don't think that was the case.

If Steven was the rat then why did he make such a big deal about Lizzy falling asleep at guard duty? Wouldn't someone who took an active roll in nearly destroying the building want some one there who couldn't be trusted to keep an eye out on the monitors? I mean that sounds like an amazingly ideal situation to me if I were invested in any way shape or form in taking down the Tower. It wouldn't be difficult to tip off the others when Lizzy would be on duty again, probably asleep again...

So either Steven is concerned about the safety of the tower or he isn't. And it seems to me that he is. I don't think that Steven is the rat, I don't think that Steven is the shooter either. I think that Steven is a red herring as he is entirely too easy to blame for everything.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Wow, nice write up.

Chief in Charge of Distraction Technique

Status
    Achievements:
    BloggerHigh Level WikiTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by mascaria View Post
    Steven said, clearly "I don't feel comfortable doing my job with him in there." He was creeped out and suspicious of Pippin... He sounded pretty sure that Pippin couldn't be trusted and was happy to get away from him.
    I agree!
    Michael didn't want Pegs in the room with Pippin and got her out of guard duty, we are not down on him for that. I think a lot of people would have the same uneasy feeling about guarding him, I know that I wouldn't feel great about it. Is his reactions to things really different to how a lot of us would feel (especially those without training for this type of work).

I also think that his pushing for Lizzy to be kicked out was not to get her kicked out but to sow doubt in Burt's leadership. The emphasis seemed to be more on pushing Burt to make the call rather then actually getting Lizzy kicked out.
    AKA: Grumpycakes... don't cross me.

~ TMC Revolver: Pink is the new AWESOME!

"Builder"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cupcakezombie View Post
    I also think that his pushing for Lizzy to be kicked out was not to get her kicked out but to sow doubt in Burt's leadership. The emphasis seemed to be more on pushing Burt to make the call rather then actually getting Lizzy kicked out.
    Yes, absolutely! Another thing that I just thought of (because I'm sure it'll be said) there are some people who are saying that the rat has since reformed and they're on the side of the Tower now... Wouldn't the person who was a reformed saboteur try to stay as inconspicuous as possible? Steven isn't terribly inconspicuous and he certainly doesn't seem very concerned about staying on Michael's good side, which a former rat may want to do. After all, they'd want to be very very sure that no one ever had any reason to question them or their loyalty.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    Someone can go back and listen to ensure it is correct. I will eventually, but this thread may be dusty by then.

If you listen to Steven, he sounds more jealous of past action. "has long as we are on your special list..." BUt, most importantly, When Lizzy said she was leaving, all of Stevens rage and fire were gone. His voice really drops and I hear empathy when he says "that's not what he said." Before Steven can back down and plead bluster rather than intent, Burt goes all alpha male. I envision Burt grabbing Steven by the collar and going nose to nose and saying, "give the girl some dignity."

It seems to be nothing that anyone really wants. But, it is what happens because everyone feels trapped.
    Riley goes off and pouts. If I had to guess she was at least heavily buzzed. Her spider sense was not tingling at all as we have seen it several times with Michael.
    Once the Monkey poop fight had gone through the fan, Burt goes out to look for Lizzy.
    I expressed my opinion of Steven above.
    Datu wants to go along and not rock the boat so he never cowboys up.
    Lizzy (in her audio log) says her intent was to go back in a few days.
    Angel did do the wrong thing by going back to bed. But, in his defense, I am sure he never thought it would go that badly.

But, as one of the older readers I will say, the above happens a lot. Too much. Things escalate out of control and we go all lower primate. We say things that we may "want or need" in the moment, but when the blood pressure drops and we go back to being human we realize society is not about getting everything we want. It is being rational and that means keeping secret what we really want to say, because that adds friction to the function of the team. NOw, I do not want to leave the impression that I think we are Vulcan or Mimes. But, I am sure people recall things that are better left unsaid in day to day life. BUt, the same things occur when the stakes are much higher.

"Builder"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    I don't know that I would say that he sounds jealous, but exasperated certainly.

"Lurker"

Status

I agree that Steven gets a bad rap. It bothered me that he wanted Lizzy out so bad but that's rooted in my like for Lizzy and my lack of knowledge about who Steven is. In real life, I would probably feel similar that he did, not so much that Lizzy should go but 'if it were me, you'd kick me out', the fear of the double standard for not being in the inner circle. And in this scenario it's not just the choice between acceptance in a popular clique vs. not, but being un-evictable vs. being tossed out to die to probably die. And in reality, that clique mentality could get everyone killed, it wouldn't have been the first time the tower was breached. I think Steven's argument was a lot more about the unfairness and not about a desire for anyone to have to leave.

Chief in Charge of Distraction Technique

Status
    Achievements:
    BloggerHigh Level WikiTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points
    And this week we see Steven is a much better light. We see the other side of him, the one that jumps to help, and pulls his weight for the entire Tower.
    AKA: Grumpycakes... don't cross me.

~ TMC Revolver: Pink is the new AWESOME!

"Fresh Meat"

Status

Gamertag: ToxicExample Steam ID: warwinn3r
    BUT cupcakes it does seem like he still does not care what leadership thinks of him IE his snarky comment to michael "im on guard duty... im guarding" (An allusion to the fight over Lizzy leaving? i think so! and also throwing in a nice little viper bite at michael) BUT i could just be reading into that... frankly i would be pissed if i knew that someone got better treatment because they are all nice to the leaders... I don't HATE steven... infact steven seems like he could be a likable character. Also it was never really said that he never pulled his weight in the tower (if anything he must do it usually because we havn't heard of him that much up until now which usually means its safe to say they pull their weight but they dont over/ under do it) but again im most likely just way over thinking your post. Overall i think if Kc wants to steven can be a really cool/ compelling character. Give the poor dude a chance.
    Last edited by ToxicTofu; Jul 2nd, 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Riley's Drinking Buddy

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki Amateur10000 Experience PointsVeteranBeloved

Gamertag: HarKor1283
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur LaMarche View Post
    Someone can go back and listen to ensure it is correct. I will eventually, but this thread may be dusty by then.

If you listen to Steven, he sounds more jealous of past action. "has long as we are on your special list..." BUt, most importantly, When Lizzy said she was leaving, all of Stevens rage and fire were gone. His voice really drops and I hear empathy when he says "that's not what he said." Before Steven can back down and plead bluster rather than intent, Burt goes all alpha male. I envision Burt grabbing Steven by the collar and going nose to nose and saying, "give the girl some dignity."
    I didn't really hear empathy when Steven said "that's not what he said." I heard more exasperation and a little bit of anger. I think the whole Lizzie getting kicked out situation was more about Burt than Lizzie. Steven sounded like he was trying to call Burt out and was angry that Lizzie was leaving voluntarily and saving Burt face. Steven was trying to say "She's choosing to leave. Burt was going to let her off the hook because he's playing favorites and is a terrible leader." At least that's how I interpret it.

That being said, Steven had reason to want to question Burt's leadership, even if he was a dick about it. The Tower was still a mess after the War. People don't know if they're going to be staying or leaving or where they're going to go if they do leave. Saul may or may not have been infected and could possibly turn and start killing people (or at least thought so at that time) The Mallers are still out there and could come back. And Michael, Pegs, and Kelly are MIA and possibly dead. Add to that fears the the leadership is playing favorites could cause the numerous "voiceless" Tower residents to be on the verge of mutiny. In short, Steven's an ass but he has justifications for being one.
    "There a many ways to kill a zombie, but I find the most satisfying way is to stab it in the brain with a wooden stick." Dwight K. Schrute

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast