User Tag List

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    "Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWell Liked1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadSweeper View Post
    Why would Scratch go after them? Lizzy is probably the last person she would want to cause harm to. She still has a bit humanity in her.
    Scrathc doesn't care about Lizzy, she just wants the baby that she could never have...
    Likes Storm liked this post

"Stalker"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsExtreme Love
    Quote Originally Posted by kent17 View Post
    Scrathc doesn't care about Lizzy, she just wants the baby that she could never have...
    From the conversation they had in the colony it seem that she did. If it wasn't for Scratch Lizzy would have gotten the same treatment as everyone else. Remember that the Mallers brought slave labor with them.
    Likes Storm liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsBeloved

From the conversation they had in the colony it seem that she did. If it wasn't for Scratch Lizzy would have gotten the same treatment as everyone else. Remember that the Mallers brought slave labor with them.
    I think that Scratch wouldn't give a shit about Lizzy the person. Lizzy the Mother on the other hand is a different matter. If Lizzy wasn't with Child then Scratch would have tossed her to the wolves. She was preggers though and will be a Mother soon. So I am think Undead is right. She would leave Lizzy alone.
    Likes kent17 liked this post

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt
    Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    Hi all. Awesome stuff up there @Red Shirt!

Some key things that stood out to me on initial listening to this episode:

- Datu's "taking a backseat" experience

I have been wracking my brain since that came up and I think I have finally come up with (part of) what I was trying to remember:

Depersonalization disorder, a mental condition in which the sufferer experiences persistent or recurrent feelings of depersonalization and/or derealization.
    Depersonalization seems to be the key here, as it's symptoms are described as:

An anomaly of self-awareness. It consists of a feeling of watching oneself act, while having no control over a situation. Subjects feel they have changed, and the world has become vague, dreamlike, less real, or lacking in significance. It can be a disturbing experience, since many feel that, indeed, they are living in a "dream".
    Though I am not a neurologist, it seems to be largely caused in the temporal lobe of the brain. Given the position of the temporal lobe within the brain in relation to the parts of the brain that govern higher functions and the parts that regulate instinctual functions... the theory that the Z-Virus disconnects higher functions from instinct makes quite a bit of sense. I think the disconnect point is near the temporal lobe. It seems that depersonalization isn't a secondary symptom, it might be a direct symptom, as it seems that this is the region that is being attacked.

We need Dr. Novella even more than ever. Things of this nature have been discussed on the SGU. One other that was discussed that I can't recall at the moment, is a similar disorder where one seemingly disconnects from the physical self and loses the ability to discern the difference between self and the outside world. If I remember it, I'll mention it here.
    Likes scbubba, Storm liked this post
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

"Stalker"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt View Post
    I have been wracking my brain since that came up and I think I have finally come up with (part of) what I was trying to remember:

Depersonalization disorder, a mental condition in which the sufferer experiences persistent or recurrent feelings of depersonalization and/or derealization.
    Depersonalization seems to be the key here, as it's symptoms are described as:

Though I am not a neurologist, it seems to be largely caused in the temporal lobe of the brain. Given the position of the temporal lobe within the brain in relation to the parts of the brain that govern higher functions and the parts that regulate instinctual functions... the theory that the Z-Virus disconnects higher functions from instinct makes quite a bit of sense. I think the disconnect point is near the temporal lobe. It seems that depersonalization isn't a secondary symptom, it might be a direct symptom, as it seems that this is the region that is being attacked.

We need Dr. Novella even more than ever. Things of this nature have been discussed on the SGU. One other that was discussed that I can't recall at the moment, is a similar disorder where one seemingly disconnects from the physical self and loses the ability to discern the difference between self and the outside world. If I remember it, I'll mention it here.

Could it be compare to being in a coma state, where you are aware of everything that around but unable to move or said anything?

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Not tunnels, but a storage cave!

It seems to me that the biggest threat the zeds face is starvation, a problem not easily resolved. What if Ink is directing them into a giant cavern for storage? He could have inscribed the "Enter"/"Address" command at various locations around the city to direct the scattered zeds towards a single location. In this very discrete hiding place, they could safely hibernate and be easily managed. Over time, humans and animals would return to the area and the food supply would be replenished. Then, when Ink is ready...BAM, a second outbreak. During this waiting period he could also quietly continue experimentation; the humans who believed that they had solved the zed problem would be confronted with a host of new and deadly variations. I imagine the zeds keep very well, and don't get bored with the whole playing dead thing (haha...).

Note: This has probably already been said, I don't keep up with the forum very well
    Last edited by a person; Mar 13th, 2014 at 05:15 PM.
    Likes Mama_Chita, kent17 liked this post

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt
    Could it be compare to being in a coma state, where you are aware of everything that around but unable to move or said anything?
    Not quite, in a coma as they are thus far understood, the patient is unconscious and without discernible brain function. In the case of depersonalization, the person suffering is "awake" but may feel like they are in a dreamlike state and like they are watching themselves as an observer, rather than a participant in the actions they are taking.

Another seemingly related affliction is Locked in Syndrome. This is where the person suffering has lost all voluntary motor control, yet retains all of their higher brain function. LIS can be simulated with Curare poisoning, which when I followed that down the wiki hole, led me to D-tubocurarine, yet another complex carbon ring molecule.

Following on the click throughs, I was also led to Akinetic Mutism. This is a mental state where the sufferer exhibits symptoms that mirror those of LIS, but to a lesser degree. It has been described as "lacking the will to move." Many cases of AM are caused by a stroke originating in the Thalamus, the region of the brain I was trying to remember above. The thalamus is described as being the "central switchboard" and a relay between subcortical areas and the cerebral cortex. Zombification changes in the brain are probably most evident and/or centered here... "...the only test is an autopsy."
    Likes scbubba liked this post
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

"Stalker"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt View Post
    Not quite, in a coma as they are thus far understood, the patient is unconscious and without discernible brain function. In the case of depersonalization, the person suffering is "awake" but may feel like they are in a dreamlike state and like they are watching themselves as an observer, rather than a participant in the actions they are taking.

Another seemingly related affliction is Locked in Syndrome. This is where the person suffering has lost all voluntary motor control, yet retains all of their higher brain function. LIS can be simulated with Curare poisoning, which when I followed that down the wiki hole, led me to D-tubocurarine, yet another complex carbon ring molecule.

Following on the click throughs, I was also led to Akinetic Mutism. This is a mental state where the sufferer exhibits symptoms that mirror those of LIS, but to a lesser degree. It has been described as "lacking the will to move." Many cases of AM are caused by a stroke originating in the Thalamus, the region of the brain I was trying to remember above. The thalamus is described as being the "central switchboard" and a relay between subcortical areas and the cerebral cortex. Zombification changes in the brain are probably most evident and/or centered here... "...the only test is an autopsy."
    Are you sure you are red shirt? You sound like a blue shirt to me. '
    Likes Red Shirt, Merlin1274, Grognaurd liked this post

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Are you sure you are red shirt? You sound like a blue shirt to me. '
    Dammit Jim! I'm a Red Shirt not a doctor!
    Likes Red Shirt, Merlin1274, Grognaurd liked this post
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    Dammit Jim! I'm a Red Shirt not a doctor!
    You know you are in trouble when somebody orders you to change your uniform from yellow to red.

Or, let's go back from ST:ATL to ST:TOS.

Likes scbubba liked this post

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast