User Tag List

Thread: Cliffhangers?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Cliffhangers?

Don't mean to side-track the other thread about the newest episode, but since this one ended with yet another 'cliffhanger,' I was wondering what other people thought about it.

You know what I mean by a 'cliffhanger,' right? Here's your handy Wikipedia definition:

A cliffhanger or cliffhanger ending is a plot device in fiction which features a main character in a precarious or difficult dilemma, or confronted with a shocking revelation at the end of an episode of serialized fiction. A cliffhanger is hoped to ensure the audience will return to see how the characters resolve the dilemma.

So with any serial, the main purpose of the cliffhanger is to get people to keep listening, to get them to tune in to that next episode, to "don't touch that dial!" But main the drawback to using cliffhangers, in my opinion, is that is can make the plot really artificial, and stretch the believability of the story. You just know that the hero is going to get in deep shit at the end of the episode and somehow work his way out of it in the next episode.

For all I love about the "We're Alive" story, I feel that Kc is a bit too attached to using cliffhangers to keep us in suspense. It's getting to the point where, with 2 minutes to go in the segment, I start thinking to myself, "Ok, what shit is going to hit the fan this time?" It's almost as if I can hear the old Batman announcer in my head saying:

"WILL Saul and Victor resolve their differences?"
    "And HOW will Datu fix the chopper in time?"
    "And WHERE is Reilly?!??"
    dun-dun-DUUUUUUN!!! [cue cheesy organ sting]
    "TUNE IN next week for the next thrilling episode of... WEEEEEEEEEE'RE ALIIIIIIIVE!!!"

I'm exaggerating, obviously, but if I had one small suggestion for Kc, it would be this: go easy on the cliffhangers. You don't need them nearly as much as you may think you do. Hell, we've been listening for dozens of hours of fantastic content, over the span of many months-- if we're not hooked by now, we'll never be hooked. You've won us over, and we're in it for the long haul. I'm perfectly fine with an episode that doesn't end with a sudden, unexpected dilemma.

But that's just me. Anyone else have thoughts on this? You cool with the cliffhangers?
    Last edited by Litmaster; Jan 11th, 2012 at 05:01 PM.