User Tag List

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

Steam ID: Merlin1274
    Someone said Diesel? Yes Semi Trucks and Farm Equipment. Not a lot of cars but there are some. Specially farm trucks, big ole dualies to haul horse trailers. I know there is a lot of farmland in California.. But why have they not gone out of LA to get supplies.. I know there is some "unknowns" by doing so but they can venture outside LA head south or further north.. I know road congestion was an issue. Unless their is no fuel for the Pelican, why do they not just fly somewhere else and do some scouting.. Cali has a lot of Ports also. No telling what they can locate in some of those warehouses.. Anything from Canned goods to fertilizer. I know the story line can only handle so much but some one could say something about a surplus of food they found by doing something of the like.. Get a pump hooked to a Generator and take a tanker to various gas stations and start pumping diesel. I am sure their are 100's of Semis littering the hwys they can siphon diesel from.. I hope that has happened..
    Now look at me carrying on like this is reality.. Well My alt reality has played these scenerios out thousands of times. So I tend to think of all sorts of places and areas to go to and get supplies.. Also all Store chains have large warehouse littering the country side. Those would be good targets of opportunity.. Sam's Club stores, Costcos, Basspro Shops, Cabelas and the list goes on.. There are towns all around. Hell maybe they would pick up some survivors along the way and bring them back. GET THE EFF OUT OF LA!!!!!
    Likes Grognaurd, Condor liked this post

We're Alive Cast member

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsVeteranBeloved10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Am I the only one that kind of wants Saul to turn and eat the Lizzy?
    What the hell?!

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDung View Post
    Keratin 18 on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratin_18
    Keratin 18 on Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...%2C39&as_sdtp=
    Keratin 18 and formic acid on Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...&as_sdt=0%2C39
    Keratin 18 and formaldehyde on Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...&as_sdt=0%2C39
    Keratin 18 and formamide on Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...&as_sdt=0%2C39
    Keratin 18 and formalin on Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...ed=0CCoQgQMwAA
    Keratin 18 on PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=keratin+18

Formic acid, formamide, and formaldehyde all seem to have uses in genomic (and possibly proteomic) research.

Oddly, there also seems to be a link between formaldehyde and a popular hair treatment: http://nadinejolie.com/blog/2010/10/...out-companies/
    Note: Hair is made from a type of keratin (not 18, though).
    Hey, FunkyDung or should I say Atom Heart Mother (?),

nice compilation of links! May I add one more? What if the disease is somehow related to a modified form of hepatitis?

viral hepatitis.

One of the symptoms is "increased susceptibility to skin tumours including skin cancer." Maybe an interesting read for the tin foil hat group.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LizzyFabre View Post
    What the hell?!
    I'd say he doesn't mean it.......but he does.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    I'd say he doesn't mean it.......but he does.
    Yeah. I believe he totally means it.... And he probably is the only one.
    Likes Osiris, Grognaurd liked this post
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadSweeper View Post
    But wouldn't including the police stations, make better defense position?
    It would depend a lot on how the police stations are constructed. I know that police stations in my part of California are generally built to common commercial standards, which means that they would probably be solid, but not fortresses. In that regard they would not be much different from any other buildings in the area.

The Orange County Sheriff's office where CJ, Saul and Victor set up their base, is actually located in a large government building that also includes a county courthouse and county offices. It would be a good candidate for fortifying, by sealing the outside doors and windows, and it would close off about half of a block.

The Westminster Police Station is a stand-alone building set pretty far back from the street. We know from the story that it was located on a slight rise, which is what made it such a good spot to spy on the Colony's gate. You could easily build it into the Colony wall, and it would make a good location for another guard tower.

There's a lot of space between the buildings that will need to be walled off. I think the easiest way to do this would be to use shipping containers. There are thousands of them sitting at the Port of Long Beach, maybe 10 miles away. Stack them up like Lego blocks, fill them with dirt or rubble, then weld them together and you'd have a very solid wall. Of course that would take a lot of diesel fuel.

One cool thing is that the storage garage where Saul and CJ found the 67 Shelby might now be inside the Colony walls. I'm not sure how useful it will be for CJ, but it would make a nice wedding gift for Saul and Lizzie.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsWiki AmateurWell LikedVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    One cool thing is that the storage garage where Saul and CJ found the 67 Shelby might now be inside the Colony walls. I'm not sure how useful it will be for CJ, but it would make a nice wedding gift for Saul and Lizzie.
    Like CJ would give it up. She wanted it for her 'collection', and I bet she's still too bitter that Saul and Lizzy's reunion actually went well to think of giving them a wedding gift. Maybe she could improvise and use her crutch on the pedals... That image made me laugh, and now I feel bad.
    Likes zombie Danny liked this post

"Stalker"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsExtreme Love
    Does anyone remember Skittles warning about going to lab or doctor areas?
    Likes Grognaurd, Storm, LiamKerrington liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsWiki AmateurWell LikedVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadSweeper View Post
    Does anyone remember Skittles warning about going to lab or doctor areas?
    Yes, when he's educating Angel and Kalani about the different types of biters, he tells them to stay away from those kinds of areas because that's where the 'brains' (as he calls them) hang around. I don't think this was done out of any desire to keep them from uncovering any sort of conspiracy, rather Skittles just knew that the smart-biters were near impossible to escape from, and so wanted to forewarn them against going to any place where they might be.
    Likes zombie Danny liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1274 View Post
    Someone said Diesel? Yes Semi Trucks and Farm Equipment. Not a lot of cars but there are some. Specially farm trucks, big ole dualies to haul horse trailers. I know there is a lot of farmland in California.. But why have they not gone out of LA to get supplies.. I know there is some "unknowns" by doing so but they can venture outside LA head south or further north.. I know road congestion was an issue. Unless their is no fuel for the Pelican, why do they not just fly somewhere else and do some scouting.. Cali has a lot of Ports also. No telling what they can locate in some of those warehouses.. Anything from Canned goods to fertilizer. I know the story line can only handle so much but some one could say something about a surplus of food they found by doing something of the like.. Get a pump hooked to a Generator and take a tanker to various gas stations and start pumping diesel. I am sure their are 100's of Semis littering the hwys they can siphon diesel from.. I hope that has happened..
    Now look at me carrying on like this is reality.. Well My alt reality has played these scenerios out thousands of times. So I tend to think of all sorts of places and areas to go to and get supplies.. Also all Store chains have large warehouse littering the country side. Those would be good targets of opportunity.. Sam's Club stores, Costcos, Basspro Shops, Cabelas and the list goes on.. There are towns all around. Hell maybe they would pick up some survivors along the way and bring them back. GET THE EFF OUT OF LA!!!!!
    I agree with a lot of that. You mention Basspro and Cabelas, I assume you're talking about finding ammo. Just a little historical context, the story began in May 2009. During 2009 there was an ammo shortage due to post election panic buying (we are experiencing an even worse shortage this year). The shelves were probably pretty bare prior to Z-day, so there wouldn't much to scavenge.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast