User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd

Datu Too many chiefs, not enough indians

Nope, not another Michael vs. CJ or Burt vs. Angel leadership thread. Today, what is in a name...

Datu -- A title for Chiefs / Princes in the Philippines
    Kalani -- Chieftain in Hawaiian
    Durai – Prince Hindi (?)
    Saul – A biblical King

Hell, Kalani even calls Michael ( and someone else another time?) Chief when he says he will find another chopper pilot.

So, simple coincidence or is KC using double meanings?
    Likes Witch_Doctor, Kc, scbubba liked this post

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    Perhaps. But not with every name in the series.
    Likes Grognaurd liked this post

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    Perhaps. But not with every name in the series.
    Like:
    ROBIN HOOD [Hardcover]
    VAN GOOL LEFEVRE LOISEAUX (Illustrator)

Riley Le Fevre code named L'oiseau by Burt
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    Ah, another name thread.

KC, your not allowed in any of my or gords crackpot/ tinfoil hat threads....thats just mean.

I have nothing new to add to what we have beat into the ground already grog...have fun with this one!
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Nice find.

Names are interesting things. We've been through all the Christian-related name stuff several times. We have Skittles and his taxonomy of zombies where he gives names to the different kinds he has seen. We have the names that others have given the zombies (some stuck others didn't). Throughout human history names have either described someone or thought to define them in some way. Even if Kc isn't using them for double meanings, they could be plenty of meaning in the choice of names for characters.

Add some other possibilities to the list:
    Elizabeth (Lizzy): well known British (English?) queen
    Margaret (where Peggy/Pegs originates): several royal women in Europe as well as a few people beatified or given sainthood
    Victor: "One who Conquers" (not directly a ruler, but conquerors often rule)

Names I couldn't make good connection to king/queen/ruler/royalty yet:
    Burton (long form of Burt?): fortified enclosure
    Kelly: Irish surname means 'War', Scottish surname means 'Wood'

That's all for the moment
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:

I think the classics should be rolled out every once in a while and see if anything else pops out.

I did not catch the

LEFEVRE LOISEAUX

Last time

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post
    so i have been in a research mood as of late. and while i know their has been some debate over the usage of names before...id like to put out a slightly more in depth look at them. perhaps there is something to be learned for future direction of the story based on simple things we've been looking at this whole time. all my information has come from either surnamedb.com or googling...so without any further chatter...

"pegs" MITCHUM
    mitchum is an english surname originated around 675 ad. its meaning is equated to "old house" mitchum was also an alterative to the name....michael

michael cross
    obviously, we have made the connection to michael and the biblical implications of the name...but the name cross derives from the pre 7th century norse word "kross", which offset the olde english word "cruc". as a surname, it was often given to people who lived at a crossroads..and as the variation of the name spread it came to denote one who carried the cross in processions of the christian church.

angel tunudo
    this is a funny one....as through all my research i found literally no examples of the name tunudo....well, with exception to yu-gi-oh.....so i left this search confused...?

saul TINK
    tink comes from the olde french word "tenche" a nickname metanymic for freshwater fisherman. or could possibly be the nickname for a "sleek, well rounded person"..also as it has been said before, tink is a shortened version of "tinker"....the earliest found siting of the name is around 1193...but as the surname tenche.. tink appeared later in 1599

riley LEFEVRE
    lefevre is an olde french surname meaning ironworker or smith, it is also the french equivilant to the english surname "smith"
    lizzie fabre
    strangely enough, fabre has the same definition as lefevre both mean ironworker or smith.....

burt SCOTT
    scott comes from the olde english pre 7th century word "scotti". in former and acient times this denoted not a scottsman but an irishman...specifically a gael. one who had taken part in the conquering of the wetern coast of scotland...

kelly MAYNARD
    maynard comes from the old french surname "mainard" and loosely means strength-strong willed. originallly found in the domesday book of norfolk, 1086
    tommy PICK
    i included tommy because of the names relation to that of maynard, its nothing major but the orgin of the name pick was found in the same domesday book of norfolk 1086

and lastly....
    DATU MATA datu means "chief".. mata has a few meanings...kill and massacre being two of them...
    DURAI....also means chief
    KALANI....while yes kalani does have the meaning "heavens or sky"..it also has the meaning "royal one" which also equates to chief (at least in my book)

could there be something to all this....... thoughts?
    Great early work by 7odd
    Likes scbubba, Witch_Doctor liked this post

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    Thanks buddy.
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Frederick "The Angel" Tenuto was a New York mobster and criminal who would be on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list for over a decade, the longest on record at the time. A low level New York criminal, Tenuto escaped from the Philadelphia County Prison in a jailbreak with four other inmates

Tenuto's name would remain on the FBI's Most Wanted list for over 14 years before it was removed on March 9, 1964, amid reports Tenuto had been killed and secretly buried.
    Likes scbubba, Storm, Kc liked this post

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:

Maybe I should change my name to Halo's Cortana as I think myself to death lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast