User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    "Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran

Hummer Big tank small tank.

So the little ones tore the Bradleys apart. But on the wiki. It is stated that there where a large amount of M1 tanks stationed there. Would these of been to tough for the little ones and turned the fate of the battle at Ft Irwin? Hence they where left out.
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Mh. Good question.
    Er, I am not so certain. But I have no recollection of the M1s being deploid in the battle against the Little Ones. I could also imagine that, because M1 have turbine-engines afaik, they were not used at all because the special fuel would be saved for the helicopters. But I may be wrong about the last point, because I am not so well informed about tanks ...

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    Theres no mention of any being deployed but they are stationed there. Cheers for your feedback.

Zombie humper

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

The rear door of that Bradley is only 3" to 5" thick, nothing that sharpened fingernails and a few extra arteries can't take out

LOOK AT MY AVATAR!!!!! I have a bottle of trioxin 245 in my hand and I am NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!!!!!

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    There are hundreds of M-1 tanks based at Fort Irwin. M-1s can run off a variety of fuel types. The preferred fuel is JP-8, which is a jet fuel, but it runs just fine on diesel. But the M-1 burns fuel at a prodigious rate, about a gallon of fuel per mile.

It's hard to fault a decision to use Bradleys to anchor the defenses at Fort Irwin. They have decent firepower and protection; not up to tank standards, but who knew Little Ones could tear through armor (yet oddly not school doors, go figure).

What is hard to figure out why the defense didn't include anything other than Bradleys. Some barriers and obstacles, and in-direct fires could have made all the difference.
    Likes scbubba, Witch_Doctor liked this post

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    They didn't have an abundance of time to set up their defenses, I think that's one reason they were lacking.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    Cheers for the pic. Being a brit I've not seen many US tanks. Still they had enough time to form Bradleys up. But to leave a bunch of kick ass m1s at home seems abit odd. I think Kc left them because they would of been to strong.
    A Sig what now?

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    but who knew Little Ones could tear through armor (yet oddly not school doors, go figure).
    There could be a learning curve, Puck says that they figured out a way to tear into the Bradleys. Roman punched the school door until it punctured. He was probably just and idiot or something.
    Likes scbubba, LiamKerrington liked this post
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Witch_Doctor View Post
    There could be a learning curve, Puck says that they figured out a way to tear into the Bradleys. Roman punched the school door until it punctured. He was probably just and idiot or something.
    And also: The Little One at the school was not fully developed. Do you remember what Glen said? It was Roman, and after the night it looked different from what it looked when they hid in the elementary. Therefore the process of turning has not made him as powerful as a fully mutated Little One could be ...
    Likes scbubba, Witch_Doctor liked this post
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

My understanding (that means take this with a big hunk of salt) is that tanks are not great for engaging "infantry". They are typically slower and less agile, the main gun (even with HE or some sort of anti-personnel round) isn't as effective on enemy infantry as a couple of Ma Deuce and can't be used in close or in support of "little friendlies", and the fuel consumption is high.

Tanks are mainly meant to engage enemy armor or fortified positions. They can be vulnerable to enemy infantry if the friendly infantry can't keep them clear.

So, I'm thinking it might actually have made sense not to put the M-1s on the line if you are used to conventional battlefield scenarios. Also, aren't tank driver and tank gunner skilled positions? So there may not have been many (any?) available to field the M-1s anyway.

Like I said, huge grain of salt - I've never served in the military nor used/driven a tank. I'm going off second and third hand sources for info. You have been warned....
    Likes Witch_Doctor, LiamKerrington liked this post
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast