User Tag List

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    "Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by wh33t View Post
    It's now understood that during your childhood and up until you are an adult a humans genetics are almost like an open book. In other words your genes take in environmental stimulus. If your genes are receiving information that the world is harsh, unfriendly and scarce then your genetics bond in a way that will allow you to survive in such a hostile world. Let's just take a guess at how Scratches genes have formed.
    As a point of clarification. A person's DNA/genes/genetic code is essentially fixed from conception; it is NOT an open book waiting to be formed from some environmental stimilus. What I think you are bringing up is the whole debate over Nature vs. Nurture. Are someone's actions and behaviour the result of some genetic predisposition from birth or are they a result of their upbringing and environment? Following your dog analogy, could a dog be overly agressive because they belong to a certain breed with a genetic predisposition toward agresssion or was it raised in such a way that resulted in this agressive behavior? Both factors can influence who we are and how we behave, but they are not the same thing.

While I agree that the environment that Scratch grew up in and the events in her past most definitely had a hand in the person she has become, her environment growing up did not alter her on a genetic level.

"Scavenger"

Status

PSN ID: TheAmazingBoomer
    Well, another great episode, I'm definitely looing forward to where the Scratch/Durai storyline goes. I also like how close it seems Lizzy and Bricks have become, I wonder if it'll lead to some sort of conflict with Saul in the future. Oh and I can't wait until they bring Burt back....I'm praying he doesn't die like Angel did, they made it sound like he's in alot better shape physically than Angel was just before he died, can't wait for next Monday!

Administrator, 14th Floor of the Tower.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First Class5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiphobe View Post
    As a point of clarification. A person's DNA/genes/genetic code is essentially fixed from conception; it is NOT an open book waiting to be formed from some environmental stimilus. What I think you are bringing up is the whole debate over Nature vs. Nurture. Are someone's actions and behaviour the result of some genetic predisposition from birth or are they a result of their upbringing and environment? Following your dog analogy, could a dog be overly agressive because they belong to a certain breed with a genetic predisposition toward agresssion or was it raised in such a way that resulted in this agressive behavior? Both factors can influence who we are and how we behave, but they are not the same thing.

While I agree that the environment that Scratch grew up in and the events in her past most definitely had a hand in the person she has become, her environment growing up did not alter her on a genetic level.
    I am not referring to Nature versus Nurture as it's been proven it's not one or the other but both. A child that is born with perfectly working eyes that is shut in total darkness for the first few years of it's life is said to be blind thereafter. Scientists claim this is because the during the first crucial years of a new borns development the genes are trying to figure out which genes are useful in this world and which ones are not. If there is nothing to see, the genes that help with eye development will not form, or not form fully. If you compare another mammal such as a horse that walks and eats on it's first day of birth versus a human child, you can tell that the horse is born with most of it's functionality fully formed whereas a human being can't really do anything until it's about 3 or 4. So the horse is being programmed during Utero and is mostly genetically developed at birth. A human being is genetically programmed during Utero and post Utero. So I'm not saying you can discount Nature or Nurture, but you have to take both into account. PM me if you'd like some links to check out.
    What I find really scary about the whole Zombie Apocalypse conceptual life style isn't the Zombies themselves, but rather the fact that we are now a species so disgusted with normality and society that some of us would actually prefer it" - Some Zombie Nerd

"Scavenger"

Status
    Re Scratch being good:
    No. Nope. Regardless of her upbringing, Scratch is callous and often needlessly violent. Yes, she's also a human being, and thus had to grow up, like everyone else, there is no redemption for her. She's been starving Burt, she shot my fav character in thw fave, etc. :P But she ain't Magus. Ain't no heel turn from criminal pathology. She's remorseless.

Re: Genetics.
    I'm gonna have to agree that genetics are kinda determined at birth. Development and cellular growth can be stunted, yes, but its not gonna change the genetic makeup of... You. I don't think. I'd love to see those links out of curiosity regarding their credibility.
    Last edited by Privateer; Jul 2nd, 2012 at 03:34 PM.

Administrator, 14th Floor of the Tower.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First Class5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
    Re Scratch being good:
    No. Nope. Regardless of her upbringing, Scratch is callous and often needlessly violent. Yes, she's also a human being, and thus had to grow up, like everyone else, there is no redemption for her. She's been starving Burt, she shot my fav character in thw fave, etc. :P But she ain't Magus. Ain't no heel turn from criminal pathology. She's rather remorseless.

Re: Genetics.
    I'm gonna have to agree that genetics are kinda determined at birth. Development and cellular growth can be stunted, yes, but its not gonna change the genetic makeup of... You. I don't think. I'd love to see those links out of curiosity regarding they're credibility.
    Lol, well we can only speculate on Scratch. She's the character you love to hate, but oddly since I've understood how behaviour is so affected by genetic responses I've always known Scratch would have some kind of horror stories in her upbringing. It's just so rare that people are psychotic with out some kind of horrendous abhorrent upbringing. I'll PM you some links to check out.
    What I find really scary about the whole Zombie Apocalypse conceptual life style isn't the Zombies themselves, but rather the fact that we are now a species so disgusted with normality and society that some of us would actually prefer it" - Some Zombie Nerd

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    I Think Lizzy is experiencing stockholm syndrome. scratch is giving her freedom around the colony as she was in pete's shop but still being monitored. Maybe it is scratches intentions for Lizzy to identify with her so she can get info on the tower people and there location. or scratch has feelings for Lizzy, she has no more use for her so why keep her?

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    Actually, it sounded like she had an abortion.

Sadly, my feed cut out just before the end so I didn't get the cliffhanger. What happened after Glen said he could possibly fix the phone?
    there is a phone in his shack at the colony. saul thinks he can use this to get permission from cj to go to the colony

"Lurker"

Status
    Crazy episode. What did scratch need to make sure of? I think during the context of when she said it it had to do something with the story. so either make sure bricks was listening or make sure who raped her. Since she left with determination after talking to bricks it was probably the second. Now this has already been theorised it could be Angel or Durai. Obviously there is something between Durai and scratch. It adds up if it was him and he does seem like an older cousin. But that could mean a allied family if it was in the mob sense. But I still like the sense of a literal family, just from the fact she said the ring with the crest was a birth right. (also the "from life til death" phrase)

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well LikedVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Ive loved Victor in this episode

The Doctor...

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    Discuss new episode here.

First person to make a Michael J Fox connection to the episodegets rep.
    Family Ties. What would we do, baby...without us? Sit Ubu sit! Good dog! *woof!* WTG Vee!!

OMFG - I'M DEAD!!!! Scratch put me down!! "Don't make the same mistake he did..." I can only hope I'm a slave in the fields..

Kinda cool to get a callback/shoutout ;^)
    Last edited by MenashaCorpse; Jul 2nd, 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelign
    "We're coming to get you Barbara!!!" -Ed (Nick Frost)

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast