User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviebae View Post

The main thing would be checking those of us with greater drives that are useful, but can be destructive if taken to the extreme. Like people who are driven to create ways to acquire wealth. It's only bad to the extent their pursuit weakens the country and government that allows them to make that money.
    For clarification do you mean checking someone as in slowing them down or stopping them or redirecting their drives to something useful for the community as a whole?
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Sounds like you all want to make utopian societies, of the variety I hereby dub "zombie-chow" (except for Osiris). Good luck with that!

My society is going to be highly militarized and devoted first to creating safe enclaves where humans can survive and rebuild. Then we're going to conduct a crusade to wipe out the zombies, reclaim the world, and take vengeance against whoever did this to us.

My society will look on the days per-zombie as a lost golden-age, and future generations will come to worship their ancestors and the heroes of the apocalypse. These will include Sir Michael the bold, Sir Angel the brave, Sir Burt the deadly, Lady Pegs the flighty, King Datu the resourceful, and especially Sir Vaul the binary (see Sniper Z's recent posts for explanation). But the highest praise will be reserved for the mighty KC. There is no God but God, and KC is his prophet.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points

PSN ID: HorrorHiro
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviebae View Post
    I was in an anti-nuclear power plant movement trying to keep one out of Indiana (I swear, they look for fault lines on which to build them). They tried governing by consensus--that is everyone had to agree. The group was joined by a group that had their own political agenda and would simply shoot down anything that went against that agenda. The upshot was this little group became dictators; people became frustrated with the non-action and tended to quit. The problem with consensus is if you have any person or group of people who want their own way regardless, they tend to get it.

In your group, if someone--let's say a founding member--murdered someone else in a fit of rage or raped someone what would happen?

Okay, first, in saying who does and doesn't get to be in the commune people are governing and using laws.
    Well people who would do things such as rape or murder would be...disposed of, anything from simply killing them to throwing them out into the dangerous post-apocalyptic wasteland. And in case you ask no there wouldn't be any designated executioner or anything of that nature, possibly trials (if there was a reason to believe that the accused person(s) didn't do it.)

A "founding memeber" wouldn't be any different from the newest member.

And as far as letting people into the commune(s) unless it was known that there were groups of people (or smart zombies I suppose) that would wish to infiltrate us such as the Mallers moles, there wouldn't be any restrictions to people being let in, obviously in a zombie scenario you would have to make sure that whoever wanted to get in wasn't bitten other than that the only requirement (if they plan on staying within the commune for the long run) should/would be that they realize the type of society that we have created is and will remain without any oppressive governing forces, hierarchical systems, and authoritarianism.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    Sounds like you all want to make utopian societies, of the variety I hereby dub "zombie-chow" (except for Osiris). Good luck with that!

My society is going to be highly militarized and devoted first to creating safe enclaves where humans can survive and rebuild. Then we're going to conduct a crusade to wipe out the zombies, reclaim the world, and take vengeance against whoever did this to us.

My society will look on the days per-zombie as a lost golden-age, and future generations will come to worship their ancestors and the heroes of the apocalypse. These will include Sir Michael the bold, Sir Angel the brave, Sir Burt the deadly, Lady Pegs the flighty, King Datu the resourceful, and especially Sir Vaul the binary (see Sniper Z's recent posts for explanation). But the highest praise will be reserved for the mighty KC. There is no God but God, and KC is his prophet.
    And how would this group go about relations with other groups? More specifically a group such as mine?

I haven't gone into detail about the external military aspect of it, but internally it is by no means trying to seem "utopian". True democracy, true equality, and true freedom.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorHiro View Post
    And how would this group go about relations with other groups? More specifically a group such as mine?

I haven't gone into detail about the external military aspect of it, but internally it is by no means trying to seem "utopian". True democracy, true equality, and true freedom.
    Historically, utopian democratic experiments only work in times of peace and plenty, and then only for a time. From the original Plymouth Colony to the midwestern Farm Communes of the 19th Century they start well, but fall apart once human nature, once resource shortages were encounterd, or when there were outside threats to the community's safety. Human nature hasn't changed, and the We're Alive universe is going to be horrendously resource-constrained and fraught with external threats.

So, to answer your question, if my society was a neighbor of yours we'd be warily friendly while you last, and prepared to rescue survivors later.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:

Historically, utopian democratic experiments only work in times of peace and plenty, and then only for a time. From the original Plymouth Colony to the midwestern Farm Communes of the 19th Century they start well, but fall apart once human nature, once resource shortages were encounterd, or when there were outside threats to the community's safety. Human nature hasn't changed, and the We're Alive universe is going to be horrendously resource-constrained and fraught with external threats.

So, to answer your question, if my society was a neighbor of yours we'd be warily friendly while you last, and prepared to rescue survivors later.
    I think you, like many people, are confusing human nature with (current and past) societal norms. And again you use the word "utopian", this is not a goal that Anarchists work toward.
    Last edited by HorrorHiro; Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries

I agree. Human nature sucks ass to be blunt. We are dirty, greedy, selfish shits. If I were to rebuild I would keep the communities very small only a few families and many of these communities spread far apart. Rules would be simple. To remain within the community and receive the benefits of the community you have to work to support the community. You steal from the community, harm a member of the community you would be cast out of the community. To return to it would bring instant death. (we put down rabid dogs mercifully why not rapists or murders cause we don't want that sort mixing in the gene pool ) We could have limited arrangements among other such communities for the exchange of goods and services and for young people to meet and join together to lessen the chance of inbreeding. (see highland clans) Once a year the smaller communities would gather together to meet and discuss issues arising or solve joint problems as trade and much needed social interaction
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by yarri View Post
    I agree. Human nature sucks ass to be blunt. We are dirty, greedy, selfish shits. If I were to rebuild I would keep the communities very small only a few families and many of these communities spread far apart. Rules would be simple. To remain within the community and receive the benefits of the community you have to work to support the community. You steal from the community, harm a member of the community you would be cast out of the community. To return to it would bring instant death. (we put down rabid dogs mercifully why not rapists or murders cause we don't want that sort mixing in the gene pool ) We could have limited arrangements among other such communities for the exchange of goods and services and for young people to meet and join together to lessen the chance of inbreeding. (see highland clans) Once a year the smaller communities would gather together to meet and discuss issues arising or solve joint problems as trade and much needed social interaction
    Well that sounds rather primitivist, not to make that sound like a bad thing.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorHiro View Post
    Well that sounds rather primitivist, not to make that sound like a bad thing.

It is.. I would enjoy a return to simpler ways. (I have an odd skill set as a nurse)

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:

Freetown Christiania is an "anarchist commune" in Denmark that has been around since the 70's and is still around. There are many other examples of Anarchist communes throughout history, NONE of which fell because of "human nature" but fell because of the oppressive and repressive governing forces.

If you would like to know more about human nature in relation to Anarhcism (more specifically in Anarchist societies) I suggest clicking on the hyper link...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast