User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Datu The Kalani/Datu Connection

I'm going to preface this by saying "No, I don't believe Datu is one of the Mallers."

A post by 'loydmilligan' in Chapter 28 Part 1 discussion thread prompted me to consider something about Datu and Kalani that I hadn't put together, even after hearing the episode and making the discovery that Kalani was, in fact, The Rat. I found myself asking questions, and for the first time in a long time, felt genuinely involved in the story.

The question that has me most perplexed is: Why didn't Datu come forward about Kalani's absence during the time that the armoury's alarm went off?

I know Datu was 'distracted' by his favourite CD, but that doesn't excuse his lack of attention to the tiny, insignificant detail of Kalani NOT being in the car beside him and the two of them NOT driving away from The Tower. Did he completely and totally gap out and think that the two of them were whipping down the freeway, wind blowing in his hair, waving at hot bitches in sports cars as they went? Was he dropped on his head as a child and is now mildly retarded?

No, I can't get behind either of those theories. I have to believe that Datu knew who Kalani really was. Now, that isn't to say that Datu is one of the Mallers or a cohort of either Scratch or Durai. No, what I'm saying is that Kalani got to Datu, either during or shortly after their time together at The Stadium, begging him to help get his daughter back. Or at the very least, not to turn him in until he can 'figure this whole thing out... could you do that for me, man?' Datu being the kind of guy he seems to be--a half-wit with a soft heart--may very well have said he would help.

Granted, I can't track all of Datu's movements during the previous season, but I'm almost certain there will be moments in the story which find Datu in unexplained absences during or before pivotal moments in the story. I'm really going to have to sit down and marathon the series to 'confirm' any of that.

Thoughts?
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    kalani left a tell all journal about what happened, why wouldn't he include and explain datu's involvement? also datu thought kalani was talking to michael and coming right back, and i doubt that really questioned datu too hard as to what happened. i think it's also possible that he confided in datu at a later time, but i don't think that datu was "in on it" at the time it happened.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    kalani left a tell all journal about what happened, why wouldn't he include and explain datu's involvement? also datu thought kalani was talking to michael and coming right back, and i doubt that really questioned datu too hard as to what happened. i think it's also possible that he confided in datu at a later time, but i don't think that datu was "in on it" at the time it happened.
    Perhaps, Kalani was protecting Datu. He wasn't a prick, he was just trying to get his daughter back. You only name names when you want to take someone down with you. I don't think he would have wanted to ruin Datu's chances of survival by saying "Oh, and by the way, Datu helped me so... you know... if you want to burn his ass you totally can now. PEACE OUT BITCHES." He could have confided in Datu at any time leaving him to simply play the duck and avoid raising suspicion. To say that Datu believed Kalani left to talk to Michael is the same as saying Datu was covering for Kalani. That's the point of the cover, Datu gives Kalani an alibi either by physically being with him or providing false information as to his actions and/or whereabouts.

I really like the idea that Kalani and Datu had a bond that pitted the two of them alone against the Mallers, plotting and scheming to get Kalani's daughter back. Sure, they fucked it all up and almost got everyone killed, but the power struggle in The Tower would have played a big factor with regards to either of them coming forward and saying 'Hey, we need to go rescue this chick from the Mallers... they sent me here to spy on you, but I'd still appreciate your help getting her back'. It would have ended with one or both of them being chucked out the front door. I mean, we all heard what happened to Lizzy.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    I've had similar thoughts..while I've always felt that we didn't hear everything that happened in the arena, this last flashback section has (for the most part) proven otherwise. Now the main thing I look to is after the war, when datu and kalani were the most adamant about leaving...that little bit can be taken two ways(in my mind at least)

Datu knew of kalanis situation..and was a confidant of sorts..as has been suggested

Datu did not know the situation..and had they actually left..kalani would have confided in him at that point.

Neither of those really make a ton of sense to me..from a logic standpoint. But, I'm not in that situation..so who knows how the mind works under those circumstances...i think we may be trying to make mountains of mole-hills here..but that's the fun part, right?
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post
    I've had similar thoughts..while I've always felt that we didn't hear everything that happened in the arena, this last flashback section has (for the most part) proven otherwise. Now the main thing I look to is after the war, when datu and kalani were the most adamant about leaving...that little bit can be taken two ways(in my mind at least)

Datu knew of kalanis situation..and was a confidant of sorts..as has been suggested

Datu did not know the situation..and had they actually left..kalani would have confided in him at that point.

Neither of those really make a ton of sense to me..from a logic standpoint. But, I'm not in that situation..so who knows how the mind works under those circumstances...i think we may be trying to make mountains of mole-hills here..but that's the fun part, right?
    It makes sense if you consider that Kalani and Datu--by all rights--should be dead right now. They were lucky to have been rescued when they were and that sort of near death experience develops some pretty strange bonds between individuals that lead to some very strange behaviour. I don't think you're far off with the assumption that either of them knew what was coming. Though it strikes me as a bad move to rush away from conflict and then tell your companion 'oh... by the way...'

I feel that if Datu was aware of who Kalani was and why he was there, this was knowledge prior to the events of the War.

And why the fuck do I keep calling it the stadium?

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Same reason I think of surfing...none

And that's why I would like to believe datu knew beforehand..kalani may have been a prick at that time..but I couldn't see him dragging datu into a rescue mission like that considering what all had taken place since they met..thats a bit much
    KAW

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post
    Same reason I think of surfing...none

And that's why I would like to believe datu knew beforehand..kalani may have been a prick at that time..but I couldn't see him dragging datu into a rescue mission like that considering what all had taken place since they met..thats a bit much
    I like to believe that Datu was the one convincing Kalani to find a way to solve the problem without handing over the tower on a silver platter. He didn't do a very good job, but at least he tried.

"Lurker"

Status
    Maybe I'm just a bad judge of character, but somehow I don't see Datu being able to hold something like that in without showing a change in his demeanor around others. I feel like he'd be really nervous and give off a suspicious air if he was to hold in something that big. Either that, or he'd eventually spill the beans because he couldn't handle being that dishonest. Although, at the beginning, he did come off to me as a people-pleaser, so maybe if Kalani gave him a certain amount of respect and praise that the others didn't seem to offer, I suppose it is a possibility. My gut tells me that Datu knowing isn't likely, though. He came off as being too blissfully oblivious when the Pippin shooting went down.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

I guess that's the main thing I keep looking at when I think of datu...second only to skittles, he's he character everybody seems to want to make into something he's not..i have trouble engaging the crackpot mind about him for that reason..just not that interesting..to me at least.
    KAW

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BKot View Post
    Maybe I'm just a bad judge of character, but somehow I don't see Datu being able to hold something like that in without showing a change in his demeanor around others. I feel like he'd be really nervous and give off a suspicious air if he was to hold in something that big. Either that, or he'd eventually spill the beans because he couldn't handle being that dishonest. Although, at the beginning, he did come off to me as a people-pleaser, so maybe if Kalani gave him a certain amount of respect and praise that the others didn't seem to offer, I suppose it is a possibility. My gut tells me that Datu knowing isn't likely, though. He came off as being too blissfully oblivious when the Pippin shooting went down.
    It's funny. That's one of the reasons that it seems to fit as far as I'm concerened. He's always been sort of 'off'. Maybe he wasn't necessarily trying to hide his intentions, but to me he's always been a relatively shifty character that I've never really trusted. But I see what you're saying. Good point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast