User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Zombie The Source/Cause of the Infection!

Hello everyone on the forum. Random newbie here. In honor of the season two finale coming up this weekend, I've been re-listening to the series at work/working out/whenever. That's besides the point, though.

In chapter 12-4 (The War- Part 4) I noticed something interesting. When Tommy was initially offered to get rinsed off, he was rather polite about it, but just before the infection set in, he had a VERY strong aversion to water. That's when it hit me! I had a theory about the spread of the zombie infection.

MUTANT RABIES

Don't laugh it off quite yet. Just think about it for a moment! What are some characteristics of rabies?

1. Hydrophobia is an early sign of a rabies infection.
    -Considering Tommy resisted getting washed quite violently before he turned, plausible.

2. Spreads through bodily fluid contact, like saliva-to-blood and blood-to-blood.
    -Fits the bill on how the zombie disease spreads.

3. Rabies is characterized by cerebral dysfunction, abnormal behavior, hallucinations, and general agitation.
    -Zombie-like loss of coordination, reversion to primal behaviors, attacking humans and animals alike, etc... could all be potentially pulled from quasi-rabid behavior.

Now, of course, this doesn't explain things like the big ones and the little ones or the super-high rate of infection. At the same time, cases of prolonged turning could be examples of people who are resistant to the strain of the zombie virus. It makes sense! (to me, at least)

Thoughts?

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    I've heard speculation that the legends of vampires may have been inspired by the behavior of people infected by rabies. I think you make a compelling case that whatever caused the zombie outbreak in WA had something to do with rabies.

Come to think of it, in World War Z the early outbreaks of zombies were attributed to "African Rabies".

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    I approve of this logic.......keep going!

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Also, in World War Z, Max Brooks writes that one of the early names for the zombie plague in that universe was the "African rabies". Coincidence? Perhaps. Or then Max Brooks is the Nostradamus of We're Alive...

Seriously though, this is great thinking! Keep it up, we'll have this figured out before KC spills the beans (if he ever does...)
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Luna, In WWZ the infection actually started in China did it not (I didn't really care for the book)?

Anyway, about Tommy... I have a teenage step-son who is water adverse as well. Its just what they do, little bastards just hate taking showers. Mugs think they'll go all Wicked Witch of the West.

Philly Phanatic Zombie

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    You have just described the book "Tooth and Nail" by Craig DiLouie. It about how the Rabies virus mutated with another to created a zombie like infection that spreads like rabies.

I am assuming KC did his research on all things zombie and I don't think he would copy this books premise.

Heres the book description...

"As a new plague related to the rabies virus infects millions, America recalls its military forces from around the world to safeguard hospitals and other vital buildings. Many of the victims become rabid and violent but are easily controlled-that is, until so many are infected that they begin to run amok, spreading slaughter and disease. Lieutenant Todd Bowman got his unit through the horrors of combat in Iraq. Now he must lead his men across New York through a storm of violence to secure a research facility that may hold a cure. To succeed in this mission to help save what's left, the men of Charlie Company will face a terrifying battle of survival against the very people they have sworn to protect-people turned into a fearless, endless horde armed solely with tooth and nail."
    Last edited by ClearSights; Jul 26th, 2011 at 05:53 AM.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    due to all the variation, behemoths, little ones, smart zombies, ink, i don't think it's rabies, or even super rabies per se. instead i think rabies may have been used as a base or another virus entirely but spliced with charecteristics of rabies. also keep in mind that while the virus in wwz was initially called african rabies, it was later determined to be something else (solanum i think) a virus completely unrelated to rabies. also those zombies were completely dead, slow, and unthinking, and there weren't different variations of zombies. of course if we look at left 4 dead we see a super rabies virus with multiple variations, but the baseline zombies aren't particularly strong. another source for the super rabies theory is the movie quarentine, similar to l4d minus the different types, or 28 bays later

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    Sorry I have been away so much. Starting a different phase at work and been crazy. BUt, I almost have it calmed down to regular waves.

Here is some work that I did for another zombie site. Please note, I published this before National Geographic posted the idea and encorporated into their zombie show.

http://www.lostzombies.com/group/the...ource=activity

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Going back to "Tooth and Nail", the implication of that story was that the hybrid of influenza and rabies was something man-made, with the influenza element weakening the immune system and creating the opening for the rabies element, while diguising it from view until it was too late. The influenza aspect doesn't seem to be a factor in We're Alive, but the idea of this being an "engineered" outbreak is certainly consistent with what we've seen so far.

Philly Phanatic Zombie

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Yeah I agree that the flu symptoms are not there in We're Alive

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast