User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: no scouts??

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    couple things about bikes: 1. street bikes tend to be pretty quiet if the baffles are still in. i don't know about the desserts in cali, but in texas the desserts are flat and hard, almost like a road, but dustier. in fact, i've ridden in dessert on a street bike and the only time i felt any loss of traction was trying to make a somewhat sharp turn. cars can drive through the dessert as well. 2. my bike can out accelerate and outrun a runner because i leave hybrids like they're standing still. 3. any rider worth his salt can easily weave around debris. 4. it's a lot harder to get trapped on a bike than it is in a car. also, the only reason why it takes so long to get places is because people stay on the road. if i was in the zombie apocalypse, everywhere my car or bike can conceivably go is fair game: sidewalks, yards, off the highway. true some places are still impassable as the cars stretch from wall to wall, but if you can get your hands on a suv, you're golden, imo.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveCrowBarWillTravel View Post
    GeneTwo,

Having said all that, this thread is kinda moot now considering they have a helo and are presently underway.
    Yea, sounds kind of right... Speaking of the jolly green if in chapter 3 they don't decide on turning back and looking for survivors of the WA tower, the chopper still has a radio. Say your 100 or 50 miles away from Fort Irwin and still not use the radio sounds very incompetent.
    Also I'm not talking about a wide spectrum, Im talking about a specific emergency channel directed toward Fort Irwin. The Cost Guard for example: your at sea, you get in trouble, you call them on a specific channel, something like that.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Isn't the reason they didn't scout because the Mallers attacked and they had to go because of this, before they attacked the tower was getting ready to go, but I thought they had agreed that they could make it there and back in one trip to check on the situation there? Then the mallers turn up, they lose one chopper and the tower goes down, now they have no choice but the put their eggs in one basket and go to Ft Irwin with what and who they had at that very moment.

I like the fact they weren't able to scout it though, adds an air of uncertainty to what will happen. Edge of the seat stuff.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneTwo View Post
    Yea, sounds kind of right... Speaking of the jolly green if in chapter 3 they don't decide on turning back and looking for survivors of the WA tower, the chopper still has a radio. Say your 100 or 50 miles away from Fort Irwin and still not use the radio sounds very incompetent.
    Also I'm not talking about a wide spectrum, Im talking about a specific emergency channel directed toward Fort Irwin. The Cost Guard for example: your at sea, you get in trouble, you call them on a specific channel, something like that.
    I'm not exactly following this line of thought Gene2. Who would they be calling at the Ft? How would they know which channel to use or what radio type? Designated radio channels have to be coordinated then the information is disseminated so everyone is on the same page.. ahem, channel.
    Anyways, let me know if i'm swimming upstream here.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveCrowBarWillTravel View Post
    How would they know which channel to use or what radio type? Designated radio channels have to be coordinated then the information is disseminated so everyone is on the same page.. ahem, channel.
    Anyways, let me know if i'm swimming upstream here.
    The standard aviation Emergency/Guard frequencies are 121.5 MHz for civilians, worldwide, and 243.0 MHz for the US military (this was the "Dust-Off" frequency at Fort Irwin when I was stationed there). In normal times both are monitored round the clock by air traffic control. If you're looking for a functioning society it would make sense to try these two frequencies to see if anyone is still monitoring. Of course it's anyone's guess if Michael or Pegs would have known about these frequencies, and for all we know Pegs has been making calls on the Emergency frequencies all along and we just didn't hear because it wasn't central to the story.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Thats the thing Cabbage,

Your average civilian.. heck, your sub-average person won't know that or have the proper equipment (aircraft or military grade scanner/radio). Michael won't even know it as a non flyer and part time Soldier. All they can do is channel sweep and hope. That presents a danger in itself as they found out with the Mallers. Kalani would be... er, would have been-the only person who'd know that as common knowledge.
    But, thanks for the knowledge because now A LOT of us have that

"Maintenance Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranBeloved
    As to the idea of scouts. We'll never know if they would have sent scouts because they were forced into flight. That said, I wonder if they had a strategy for approaching the fort. Something like find a tall flat surface they could land on and that is free of zombies and then do a flyover.
    SKITTLES?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123