User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WA: The Comic?

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Seems to be the case. Still, nice to see different perspectives on the subject.
    joint-point-counter-joint

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eviebae View Post
    With all due respect, it seems like everyone is answering a different question in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Seems to be the case. Still, nice to see different perspectives on the subject.
    My first post was a clarification of Caps. And like I said in that post, seeing the cast of an audio drama isn't always a bonus, like Satan believes it to be. I happen to wish I hadn't seen some of the cast because I had a clear image of what they looked like in my head and now that's gone. I happened to like the way I imagined it better because sometimes people don't look like their parts. And all I said about that is being an Audio Drama works well for We're Alive to promote discussion because we simply don't know certain aspects of the story because we can't see it. Becoming a comic book detracts from that immediately because you can see it. My apologies for pointing that out.

And my apologies if I wasn't clear in my contention about what I would like to see as a comic book subject. I have no desire to see a comic book based around anything covered by WA. Sorry if that results in a failure in logic.

Seems to me this topic has followed a fairly logical progression from one post to the next. We all seem to be responding to each others points despite it getting off topic from the original thought. But that's what happens here. Almost every one of our threads meanders from one place to another at times.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Achievements:
    BloggerPro Level Wiki EditorTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    I agree with Nikvoodoo on the WA Comic shouldn't follow any of the people we know from the Podcast. It would be cool to see a story about a group in New York or something like that. But, we are going to get the stories of the people in the Tower and the Mallers from the Podcast.

That is my 2 cents.
    <----- Click to see what D.A.R.T is doing for you.

Damn Hand Cannon

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    And like I said, I don't want to hear about anyone in the current LA storyline.
    And to that end Nik I don't think a story of some other city or facility will have the same "punch". These characters were selected by team WA for a reason. Their story will become more pivotal than any other survival story of another city, or else why tell it?

But yeah, if there was the ability to turn this story into a conglomerate of countless villages and cities that had a survivor's' take on this specific thread. Of course those spinnoff writers would have to be privy to secrets in the WA story line. Oh the webs we would weave. Something of that scale would be unfathomable!
    Teethingbiscuit
    Does rocking the Claw Machine a worthy apocalyptic talent?

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teethingbiscuit View Post
    And to that end Nik I don't think a story of some other city or facility will have the same "punch". These characters were selected by team WA for a reason. Their story will become more pivotal than any other survival story of another city, or else why tell it?

But yeah, if there was the ability to turn this story into a conglomerate of countless villages and cities that had a survivor's' take on this specific thread. Of course those spinnoff writers would have to be privy to secrets in the WA story line. Oh the webs we would weave. Something of that scale would be unfathomable!
    Teethingbiscuit
    Believe me, I truly understand why having the potential comic book revolve around the Tower/Mallers/People We Know could be awesome. But if it didn't make it into the podcast, why would it need to be told in the comic book? And if it was told in the podcast, why would it need to be retold? That's all I mean about not wanting to see things covered by WA. It was either too trivial to mention before, or has already been covered.

The thing I think would become interesting by seeing a story told in NYC (for instance since you brought up another city and I'm obviously partial to the idea since I live here) is you have the expectations and knowledge of what happened in the initial run of WA. I think it's interesting to see the development of the story as things are fresh in the eyes of a new group of people as they are struggling to find their way in the new world.

I do understand you have to re-hook an entire audience again by making them invest in new characters they don't know. 100% I agree. But I think it's a great way to reset the story without having to worry about it conflicting with any information given in the original storyline. And it allows the story to unfold in new ways that don't necessarily involve military personnel, apartment Towers etc etc. Same situation, but different set of circumstances result in a brand new story.
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops

Damn Hand Cannon

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Ya man.

SPOILER 

Tooth
    Last edited by nikvoodoo; May 8th, 2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags. Outside of spoiler zone!
    Does rocking the Claw Machine a worthy apocalyptic talent?

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teethingbiscuit View Post
    Ya man.

SPOILER 

Tooth
    We're starting to get into a theory debate best reserved for other locations (ie where spoilers are allowed. Sorry for adding the tags to your post. I went back and did it to some of mine too). I agree, lots of stories have been told in NYC
    SPOILER 
    To me, it always seemed to me that the WA story was just one aspect of what was happening world wide.

The reason I always thought we're listening to a story based in L.A. is because you write about what you know. Kc and Company are all based in California and it's the story they are best suited to tell. If I were the storyteller and I tried to tell a story based in L.A. people would be screaming at how wrong I got it. If I made the story about my neighborhood in Queens and sections of Manhattan, it would be very believable. Kinda like Spider-Man being based in NYC and people knowing exactly where his exploits took place because the artist went there and drew the locales. Write what you know

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Having read a good bunch of comics, I don't think that they could capture the athmosphere of the show adequately. I've yet to read a "good" survival horror comic, and this is why I think WA shouldn't be turned into a comic.

However, if the comic would follow another group of survivors, maybe a military unit (larger than 3 people), it could be turned into a reasonably good action-horror work, but that'd cheapen the WA element of that comic. If a comic will be done, I hope it takes this route and is sufficiently different than the audio drama yet similiar enough to be distinctly WA and not a cheap Resident Evil ripoff.
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    Having read a good bunch of comics, I don't think that they could capture the athmosphere of the show adequately. I've yet to read a "good" survival horror comic, and this is why I think WA shouldn't be turned into a comic.

However, if the comic would follow another group of survivors, maybe a military unit (larger than 3 people), it could be turned into a reasonably good action-horror work, but that'd cheapen the WA element of that comic. If a comic will be done, I hope it takes this route and is sufficiently different than the audio drama yet similiar enough to be distinctly WA and not a cheap Resident Evil ripoff.

Way to have faith in the writers of the show.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if a comic followed the exploits of another group, perhaps in the same city, perhaps in a completely different country. Why the hell not? I can see why some people wouldn't want to see the cast of the show, feeling as though it would detract from how you've pictured the characters, but that's an argument you can use for just about any adaptation, books to movies, comics to tv shows, radio to any other format. You should be able to look past that, if not you must have a terrible time watching movies and suspending reality for an hour and a half, which is exactly what we're doing with the show. Also, I think it's a little defeatist to assume that if the writers of the show decided to do a comic based on the events of this outbreak that it would fail. Shows absolutely no faith at all in their ability to tell a tale and have it be successful. Try to spin that any way you like from there, but you've already stepped on them by saying they couldn't capture the atmosphere they've created with the show. They've done a fantastic job so far capturing my imagination, and I'm sure they would do an amazing job in any other format they put their efforts into.

Feel free, hammer away.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Builder"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    I won't hammer away, because it's an interesting topic we're discussing, but I definitely do not agree. And I don't really like to accusation of having lack of faith - I just think they should stick to what they're best at.
    Just because there are quite some differences between comic books and audio dramas, I doubt they'll be just as good.

We praise Kc a lot for the excellent story so far. The current quality is exceptionally high.
    Now, let's look at what actualles makes it so high, and how that'd work out in a comic specifically:

• Storyline progression & character development - Would probably be just as good
    • Dialogues / conversations - Much less emotion than a real voice, but the graphics (visuals like smiles, tears, wounds, etc) could compensate a bit
    • Surprising moments in general - Really depends on what happens, but dynamic sound will beat static images in many situations.
    • Fast-paced action scenes - Would be slowed down a lot in comic-format
    • Unexpected or 'unknown' sounds & (sounds of) what's happening in the background - No way to properly do this in a comic

Obviously, it's impossible to be fully objective about this. IF there would be a comic, it would probably be okay-ish, but it won't get close to the excellence of the podcast.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast