User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WA: The Comic?

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Notebook WA: The Comic?

This has probably been covered to death already, even though a search turned up nothing relevant, but what are the chances of a We're Alive comic? Perhaps something to carry on with the characters that are left alive (if any) after the series finale? It would certainly be a great way to give more character back stories, perhaps the history of the Mallers? It would be fantastic to see more Scratch.

Just a thought.
    joint-point-counter-joint

Damn Hand Cannon

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Cool idea but it is backwards progress. Aren't comics trying to get into the electronics age? digital comics. That would be cool as would an animation.
    Teeth
    Does rocking the Claw Machine a worthy apocalyptic talent?

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerPro Level Wiki EditorTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: Creem Filling Steam ID: Creem_Filling
    I would love it to go to comics. It would be awesome to see how the art is. I wouldn't even care that I have listened to the story a hundred times. It would be well worth it to read it.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teethingbiscuit View Post
    Cool idea but it is backwards progress. Aren't comics trying to get into the electronics age? digital comics. That would be cool as would an animation.
    Teeth

Yes and no. Going cross-platform opens up books to new audiences, people who don't have time to get down to their local shop or the people who stopped buying to save trees. There's nothing to say that the comic couldn't be electronic. I see your argument for not going that route though, but to broaden the fanbase... a comic would be a great step. Or if you want to retro-ize it in a cross between old school and the new age.... motion comic. You get your comic, you get your animation and all of it set to the original broadcasts? A thought. Just a thought.

"Builder"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    One of the major the strengths of the show, is its format. The use of solely audio adds a lot of mystery, and a lot of possibilities (which Kc manages to exploit extremely well).

When turning it into a comic or animation, not only will characters suddenly look different than you imagined them, it'll also be a lot of work to change the very fundamentals of the show. No offence to Kc and everyone else working on it, but the odds of producing a just-as-high quality product in a completely different format just aren't that high.

Let them focus on what they're best at: audio drama.

See also "If We're Alive became a TV Show" and "We're Alive Movie"

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cPT.cAPSLOCK View Post
    One of the major the strengths of the show, is its format. The use of solely audio adds a lot of mystery, and a lot of possibilities (which Kc manages to exploit extremely well).

When turning it into a comic or animation, not only will characters suddenly look different than you imagined them, it'll also be a lot of work to change the very fundamentals of the show. No offence to Kc and everyone else working on it, but the odds of producing a just-as-high quality product in a completely different format just aren't that high.

Let them focus on what they're best at: audio drama.

See also "If We're Alive became a TV Show" and "We're Alive Movie"
    I disagree. I think the major strengths of the show are the writing and the length of the episodes, which always leave you hanging and always wanting more. Something that can definitely be achieved in various other formats, comics being an obvious candidate as its format is episodic in nature, unlike film. TV on the other hand would be a wasteful attempt as you'd likely get a lot of 'oh look, it's a Walking Dead ripoff. Having seen the Q&A I no longer see the characters as I once saw them, and in place of familiar faces I know relate them to the faces of the actors. That alone changed everything for me, but in a positive way.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    I disagree. I think the major strengths of the show are the writing and the length of the episodes, which always leave you hanging and always wanting more. Something that can definitely be achieved in various other formats, comics being an obvious candidate as its format is episodic in nature, unlike film. TV on the other hand would be a wasteful attempt as you'd likely get a lot of 'oh look, it's a Walking Dead ripoff. Having seen the Q&A I no longer see the characters as I once saw them, and in place of familiar faces I know relate them to the faces of the actors. That alone changed everything for me, but in a positive way.
    What Caps is getting at (I believe, pardon/correct me if I'm getting it wrong, sir) is look at some of the hottest debated topics on this forum. Most have to do with things we can't actually see.
    SPOILER 

Yes, if the story sucked no one would be here. But the fact that we are being told a solid story in an audio format works well for it. Visually seeing the actors isn't always a positive for everyone. Especially when you consider things like Jim Gleason is too old to be playing Michael in any other format other than radio. I promise you if there's a transfer to another format, Michael's story would need to change, or someone else would play Michael. Jim can't pass for a 27 year old kid.

As for the topic of a comic book, I wouldn't want to see a comic of the current LA storyline. I'd love to see someone else's story in LA or the perspective from another group of survivors in another city. I'm not much for the rehashing of the same story being retold over multiple mediums because something always gets lost in translation(see every movie ever based off a novel)
    Last edited by nikvoodoo; May 8th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    What Caps is getting at (I believe, pardon/correct me if I'm getting it wrong, sir) is look at some of the hottest debated topics on this forum. Most have to do with things we can't actually see.
    SPOILER 

Yes, if the story sucked no one would be here. But the fact that we are being told a solid story in an audio format works well for it. Visually seeing the actors isn't always a positive for everyone. Especially when you consider things like Jim Gleason is too old to be playing Michael in any other format other than radio. I promise you if there's a transfer to another format, Michael's story would need to change, or someone else would play Michael. Jim can't pass for a 27 year old kid.

As for the topic of a comic book, I wouldn't want to see a comic of the current LA storyline. I'd love to see someone else's story in LA or the perspective from another group of survivors in another city. I'm not much for the rehashing of the same story being retold over multiple mediums because something always gets lost in translation(see every movie ever based off a novel)
    Again, this isn't an argument for a tv series or a film. It's an argument for a comic. Myself, I've no interest at all in seeing it made into a half hour sitcom/drama/satire/whatever else executives would consider to be 'on the pulse', for just the reasons you cited. So we're agreed on that. If I recall correctly, I suggested that it could be a story told from the point of view of the Mallers, this doesn't necessarily mean rehashing the same story as I'm certain that the group, albeit a 'darker' one, had their own trials and tribulations surviving in LA. I think it's safe to move away from lumping into the 'what if a tv or movie was made' category and focus on the benefits that a graphic medium has to offer. Which is really the extension of all worlds combined, the audio format telling a story in dramatic fashion with only words and sound effects, and the obvious asthetics that a visual medium brings to the table, in a compact 28 page serial format.

I understand the argument made, I just disagree with the logic behind it. But it's cool, everyone is entitled to view the world through their own eyes.
    Last edited by nikvoodoo; May 8th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Again, this isn't an argument for a tv series or a film. It's an argument for a comic. Myself, I've no interest at all in seeing it made into a half hour sitcom/drama/satire/whatever else executives would consider to be 'on the pulse', for just the reasons you cited. So we're agreed on that. If I recall correctly, I suggested that it could be a story told from the point of view of the Mallers, this doesn't necessarily mean rehashing the same story as I'm certain that the group, albeit a 'darker' one, had their own trials and tribulations surviving in LA. I think it's safe to move away from lumping into the 'what if a tv or movie was made' category and focus on the benefits that a graphic medium has to offer. Which is really the extension of all worlds combined, the audio format telling a story in dramatic fashion with only words and sound effects, and the obvious asthetics that a visual medium brings to the table, in a compact 28 page serial format.

I understand the argument made, I just disagree with the logic behind it. But it's cool, everyone is entitled to view the world through their own eyes.
    Yes, I saw your thought about the Mallers. And like I said, I don't want to hear about anyone in the current LA storyline. The Mallers are a part of the current story line. The closest thing I want to hear about that's already "covered" by WA is the Other Tower and even then, there's still time for that story to be explored.

So again, in terms of comic book topics if it were to go forward, I'd love to see other groups of survivors in LA (not mentioned in WA) or in other cities.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Maintenance Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranBeloved
    In the end, it's KC and Shane who will make the decision. Given that, "can they?", "should they?" and "what would happen if?" are different questions. With all due respect, it seems like everyone is answering a different question in this thread.
    SKITTLES?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast