User Tag List

"Fresh Meat"

Status

Smile CB direction problem?

I just thought of something as I was giving E19CH2 another listen.

Just before MPK ran into Victor, Micheal stated that this is the farthest south anyone from the Tower had been. Kelly corrected him stating that they were South East.

When the old radio guy (name?) asked Micheal what direction to point the CB transmission, Micheal said "North".

Could it be that he should have pointed the unit to the North West?

Am I over analyzing?

You know this is a great show when you are re-listening to episodes at 6:30am while driving to work in the dark and pouring rain

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Hey Manintreesm
    It's possible you went a little too deep..maybe. Radio waves don't travel in one direction. N.E.S.W are all good for travel, but not sound is all. Props for noticing that though.
    They probably have relay stations (towers) in multiple directions and Glen was asking so he could figure the nearest tower???

I think this should be moved to "things I've noticed" thread.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Yes I thought I may have been reaching a bit with this. I know that SETI researchers need to aim their receivers when searching for radio waves from space but I don't know if that has anything to do with CB.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Yah, all that is above my Paygrade. LOL! I know a CB broadcast just goes out and anyone within range of that channel can pick it up, no matter what direction they are. Anything more than that.. Where the hell is Bill Nye when you need him?

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Well the directionality depends on the type of antenna rather than the frequency band. They probably have a yagi antenna, which is fairly simple to build and adds some directionality. I think the message did reach the tower and the response signal was too weak to be detected. But the north vs. northwest issue is also a good catch.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    It's my hunch that the Tower received the message as well. I think that the Tower will dispatch a recon/rescue party and we'll see a couple of them showing up at the Colony's door.