User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Burt vs Scratch

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Eeez View Post
    Michael is still the hero. Or at least the main protagonist. We were introduced to him first. The reluctant leader. We saw what happened when he said fuck 'em let them have Burt. Okay he didn't really use those words but it turned out they needed him to lead. He is/was their hope. I say "was" because they have all split up now. He is still the glue. We know most of our characters though him. They'll come back together. Family always does. Especially for a funeral.
    I disagree. Michael isn't the main protagonist. He's part of an ensemble. This isn't the sort of story that really has a protag/antag/contag structure. It's definitely more based on a collection of archetypes. We don't know our characters through Michael, we know them through the journals. Each character's own words and experiences.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Gatherer"

Status
    I meant we are introduced to our characters through Micheal. He's the first to journal. Then gets the others to do the same and we learn more through their writings. Last ep. Michael chimes in outta nowhere with something like this is where things start to go to shit or something to that effect. Why bring in his voice if he isn't our main dude? There are many archetypes and many people who get their own turn at being the star for a chapter. But in the beginning, it's Michael who is telling us the story "from when it all started" as if he is writing things down after-the-fact.

I started listening from the beginning again. Angel, who annoyed me at first, doesn't sound so annoying. Felt some sadness though.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Eeez View Post
    I meant we are introduced to our characters through Micheal. He's the first to journal. Then gets the others to do the same and we learn more through their writings. Last ep. Michael chimes in outta nowhere with something like this is where things start to go to shit or something to that effect. Why bring in his voice if he isn't our main dude? There are many archetypes and many people who get their own turn at being the star for a chapter. But in the beginning, it's Michael who is telling us the story "from when it all started" as if he is writing things down after-the-fact.

I started listening from the beginning again. Angel, who annoyed me at first, doesn't sound so annoying. Felt some sadness though.
    Obvious answer is: to maintain the connection with the remainders of the Tower. It has nothing to do with his being the 'main protagonist' and everything to do with reminding us that the rest are gone. I would argue that he's a main character in the arc of the story, but he's not really anything more than that.
    joint-point-counter-joint

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234