User Tag List

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    Just curious if you had. It's definitely a different kind of base.
    LOL. Copy that. I also didn't know that "Buck Sgt" was a term in the Army's lexicon.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbringer View Post
    I've been there 4 times. Fun to visit (sometimes), doesn't look fun to live at. Once you leave the base, the nearest civilization is Barstow. The biggest nearby cities are Las Vegas and LA; 3 hour trip either way.

Midway through part 2, Michael makes reference to "few more active duty bases to the east" of their emergency landing spot outside Barstow, but he did know how far off they were. Don't know what bases he was refering but he really should have looked to the west. Edwards AFB, which is a MAJOR military installation and about the same distance as Ft. Irwin from where they were at the time and about the same distance as from where they are now in part 3.

But now one must assume now that if Ft Irwin is overrun by zombies (which it certainly sounds like), then Edwards probably is too. Hopefully we will see some glimmer of hope somewhere at Irwin, otherwise I see this audio drama having a very, very dark ending. And I hate dark endings.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    When faced with a Zombie horde and looking for a place to regroup to Live out Life, Restart Civilization or plan for a counter strike the problem becomes where does one go?

The thing is, that if it is a really nice to place to live is there were probably people there before the outbreak. Since KC it our heroes with virtual extinction event by altering or killing about 6 billion people, if there were people there, before the outbreak, there are almost certainly zombies there now. This provides the catch 22 that survivors have to escape the zombies and then rebuild where it is inhospitable. To cusion the blow, one can seek out Supply Dumps that are not easily accessed. A military base in the middle of the desert (Death Valley?) is a good choice. Not a lot of people around and a natrual Area-Denial buffer. If the group can make a beach-head and defend it from the initial counter strike they could be OK. They MUST have an easily defended locations with logistic backup. Then, they have to Push Back the enemy and start creating Zones of Control that have a decrease in threat as one gets to the "safe room" of last resort.

Another good Option is a Hunting / Fishing Lodge. Those might be fully stocked, they are remote and have a lot of things to hunt or fish. Once there, they will have to be secured like the tower was and with any luck Ft Irwin will be.

The good news is that it seems they landed on an elevated structure. Let's hope its access is restricted such as a single gang-way and not designed for supply drops with a truck-size access ramp

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveCrowBarWillTravel View Post
    LOL. Copy that. I also didn't know that "Buck Sgt" was a term in the Army's lexicon.
    it's not an official thing, but it is used to differentiate a sergeant E5 from higher ranking sergeants. typically in passing higher ranking sergeants would just be refered to as sergeant, but when seeking to differentiate between say a first sergeant and a sergeant, one might say first sergeant and buck sergeant.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur LaMarche View Post
    The good news is that it seems they landed on an elevated structure. Let's hope its access is restricted such as a single gang-way and not designed for supply drops with a truck-size access ramp
    The helicopter pad (Captain Pegs refers to it as a "helicopter place") would simply be a flat parking tarmac for choppers, not a structure. Michael even tells us that there were several other desert camo'd helicopters tied down around them. I think they landed right there on flat ground.

What really surprises me is that they didn't take time to make a positive identification before setting the helicopter down. Datu stating that there were "people" and Tanya observing that "I think a see uniforms" confirmed nothing. They gave up their only advantage by setting the helicopter down on the tarmac. What was the big hurry?

Now we have a busted up Burt with a nearly dead Angel, along with maybe Lizzy in the hands of Scratch and the mallers, a confused (and very bitchy) Saul and Victor pondering whether they should continue forward to Ft Irwin or go back to the Tower, Michael and Kelly stranded in Ft. Zombieland and a helicopter load of the blind and drunk. I was wondering when we would get to the "Inadequate Strength" part.

We're there.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dontkillburt View Post
    Midway through part 2, Michael makes reference to "few more active duty bases to the east" of their emergency landing spot outside Barstow, but he did know how far off they were. Don't know what bases he was refering but he really should have looked to the west. Edwards AFB, which is a MAJOR military installation and about the same distance as Ft. Irwin from where they were at the time and about the same distance as from where they are now in part 3.
    Fort Irwin is surrounded by other military reservations. The northwest corner of the reservation buts up against the Nellis Air Force Base ranges, the China Lake Naval Air Station ranges are on the western boundary, with Edwards AFB just beyond them, and the Marine Corps 29 Palms complex is due east.

If our heroes can't make a go of it at Fort Irwin maybe they should head off to Area 51. That's about the same distance to the northwest as LA is to the southwest.

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    High Level WikiVeteran10000 Experience Points

Gamertag: Novus Bellator
    Quote Originally Posted by dontkillburt View Post
    What really surprises me is that they didn't take time to make a positive identification before setting the helicopter down. Datu stating that there were "people" and Tanya observing that "I think a see uniforms" confirmed nothing. They gave up their only advantage by setting the helicopter down on the tarmac. What was the big hurry?
    I was quite surprised by this too. I thought before touching down they would want to confirm whether or not the place had been hit and/or overrun. I figure they would want to see signs of at least one survivor before touching down.

[EDIT]I had a theory that the shot fired at the end of 25-3 may have come from a soldier as a warning to Michael and his group but having relistened you can definitely hear a zombie growl accompanying running foot falls.

I'm also thinking Lizzie has to be pregnant now, otherwise, what reason would Scratch have not to kill her? As cold and cruel as Scratch has proven to be, I can still picture her saying, "Leave that bitch alone. She's pregnant." Maybe since Lizzie is so attractive she will be presented to Durai as a gift.
    Last edited by Adventureless_Hero; Jan 19th, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
    There is no spoon. - Neo

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    Thanks Don't Kill Burt.

I guess I did not listen carefully enough. The Landing Places up here (NY's Northern Boarder) are off the ground. Six feet or so. The choppers are tied down there. Now that I stop to think about it, it is probably because of the Snow. As it is elevated, it is very easy to clear off and will not be quickly filled back in by blowing snow.

Ft Irwin is probably still on the flat lands and not in the mountains? If so, I do not think they will have to worry much about snow and even less for snow drifts.

"Lurker"

Status
    I think one of the "animated corpses" road into the fort clinging to the helicopter skid, out of view of everyone inside. This would explain why it just sort of appears as soon as they get out of the helicopter and Michael is taken by surprise. The people on the ground probably noticed the thing hanging from the helicopter...
    Last edited by kidmuncher; Jan 19th, 2012 at 10:52 AM.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the avenues of approach to the Post, I see that the West (Goldstone Rd) and South (Ft Irwin Rd) can be defended pretty easily for well trained infantry and artillary troops. Those are pretty narrow choke points and they'd have the roads prepared as well as having the high ground.
    The SE (Langford Lake Rd)has the largest gap by far. That would be where the greatest concentration of fire power would be for a traditional holding defense. BUUUUT, since the infected are most likely coming up the road from Barstol, then the southern most route would be where they'd make preparations.
    The bad thing is that the post's supporting infrastructure is spread way the hell out!

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast