User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

'We're Alive' Telephone Translation Experiment...

This is nothing of any great consequence, but I just came across Tony's quote from the other thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhind86 View Post
    Purely belter man, that sounds proper canny that like!
    ....aaand of course I, as a knowledgeable, erudite American... had no idea what the fuck he was talking about.

I started monkeying around with Google Translate, seeing if I could somehow translate it into a foreign language or two, then back into English, so it would somehow make sense. Well, that didn't work, but I came up with some funny variations.

So I made an experiment, where I take a rather complex We're Alive-related sentence, run it through five different languages, then bring it back to English to see if this final English translation resembled anything close to the original. Here's what I started with:

Riley told Burt that she had a major crush on Angel,
    but Angel got crushed by the tower and became prisoner to Scratch, who killed him.

That then got translated into French...
    Riley dit Burt qu'elle avait le béguin majeur sur Angel, mais Angel s'est écrasé par la tour et est devenu prisonnier de Scratch, qui l'a tué.

French to Armenian...
    Riley Burt ասաց, որ ինքը մի մեծ երկրպագում Angel է, բայց Angel էր, մանրացված աշտարակի եւ դարձավ գերի զրոյից, որը սպանել նրան.

Armenian to German...
    Riley Burt sagte, er sei ein großer Fan von Angel, aber Angel wurde zerkleinert und wurde ein Gefangener der Turm von Grund auf, die ihn getötet.

German to Japanese....
    ライリーバートは、彼は天使の大ファンでしたが、天使を粉砕して、彼を殺した地上から塔の囚人、と言いまし た。

Japanese to Punjabi...
    ਉਸ ਨੇ BART Riley, ਦੂਤ ਪੀਹ, ਅਤੇ ਕੇ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਮਾਰ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਜ਼ਮੀਨ ਤੱਕ ਬੁਰਜ ਦੇ, ਉਸ ਦੇ ਦੂਤ, ਇੱਕ ਕੈਦੀ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਵੱਡਾ ਪੱਖਾ ਸੀ ਨੇ ਕਿਹਾ ਕਿ.

....and finally back to English again:

He BART Riley, angel jigger, and killed him in the tower to the ground,
    his messenger, was a big fan of the prisoner said.

Hmmmm.....
    Last edited by Litmaster; Apr 1st, 2014 at 04:10 PM.
    We're back Alive again for WA Descendants!!

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Litmaster View Post
    This is nothing of any great consequence, but I just came across Tony's quote from the other thread:

....aaand of course I, as a knowledgeable, erudite American... had no idea what the fuck he was talking about.

I started monkeying around with Google Translate, seeing if I could somehow translate it into a foreign language or two, then back into English, so it would somehow make sense. Well, that didn't work, but I came up with some funny variations.

So I made an experiment, where I take a rather complex We're Alive-related sentence, run it through five different languages, then bring it back to English to see if this final English translation resembled anything close to the original. Here's what I started with:

Riley told Burt that she had a major crush on Angel,
    but Angel got crushed by the tower and became prisoner to Scratch, who killed him.

That then got translated into French...
    Riley dit Burt qu'elle avait le béguin majeur sur Angel, mais Angel s'est écrasé par la tour et est devenu prisonnier de Scratch, qui l'a tué.

French to Armenian...
    Riley Burt ասաց, որ ինքը մի մեծ երկրպագում Angel է, բայց Angel էր, մանրացված աշտարակի եւ դարձավ գերի զրոյից, որը սպանել նրան.

Armenian to German...
    Riley Burt sagte, er sei ein großer Fan von Angel, aber Angel wurde zerkleinert und wurde ein Gefangener der Turm von Grund auf, die ihn getötet.

German to Japanese....
    ライリーバートは、彼は天使の大ファンでしたが、天使を粉砕して、彼を殺した地上から塔の囚人、と言いまし た。

Japanese to Punjabi...
    ਉਸ ਨੇ BART Riley, ਦੂਤ ਪੀਹ, ਅਤੇ ਕੇ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਮਾਰ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਜ਼ਮੀਨ ਤੱਕ ਬੁਰਜ ਦੇ, ਉਸ ਦੇ ਦੂਤ, ਇੱਕ ਕੈਦੀ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਵੱਡਾ ਪੱਖਾ ਸੀ ਨੇ ਕਿਹਾ ਕਿ.

....and finally back to English again:

He BART Riley, angel jigger, and killed him in the tower to the ground,
    his messenger, was a big fan of the prisoner said.

Hmmmm.....
    Hmm, seems I need to teach you to speak Geordie before I arrive in the States. My dialect doesn't quite come across the forum in its full capacity, and I feel I've led you into a false sense of security regarding being able to understand a single word I say when I arrive.

Not to worry, I can either alter my manner of speech (as best I can) or I can bring with me a Geordie translation book.

Either way, I will attempt to be as comprehensable as possible during the trip.

(Btw I only ever make sense whilst I'm typing - I'm never this sensible whilst I'm speaking )
    WA Finale Convoy Communications Officer

Catch me on the twitters @tonyhind86
    WA Finale Convoy twitter: @WA_Convoy
    WA Finale Convoy Google+ ID: 04452049929039180220
    WA Finale Convoy Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH96IN3Atmjukmy8XzQDQWQ

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    This is not a new game, but it is fun.

that's all I got
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhind86 View Post
    Hmm, seems I need to teach you to speak Geordie before I arrive in the States. My dialect doesn't quite come across the forum in its full capacity, and I feel I've led you into a false sense of security regarding being able to understand a single word I say when I arrive.
    That reminds me of an incident, many years ago, back when I was in the U.S. military, stationed in Germany. I was in a bar in Amsterdam with a few of my American buddies, when a guy in the next bar stool leans over and says, with a really thick Scottish accent, "Hey there, so you fellas are from back state-side, yeah?"

And my friend Jim goes, "Uh.... do you speak English?"

And we're like, "That WAS English, dumbass!"

We may be creating more stories like that this summer.

BTW, it's April 2nd. Deadline passed. We're locked in; buy your plane tix.
    We're back Alive again for WA Descendants!!

Updater of the Wiki

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassPro Level Wiki EditorLOVED TO DEATH25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: G00er PSN ID: Gooergaming Steam ID: Gooergaming
    Hm, that was unexpected, It's fascinating how each language changes the way someone else says things.....

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Litmaster View Post
    That reminds me of an incident, many years ago, back when I was in the U.S. military, stationed in Germany. I was in a bar in Amsterdam with a few of my American buddies, when a guy in the next bar stool leans over and says, with a really thick Scottish accent, "Hey there, so you fellas are from back state-side, yeah?"

And my friend Jim goes, "Uh.... do you speak English?"

And we're like, "That WAS English, dumbass!"

We may be creating more stories like that this summer.

BTW, it's April 2nd. Deadline passed. We're locked in; buy your plane tix.
    My accent is very similar to Scottish dialects. I can either bring a phrasebook, or take elocution lessons.
    Likes Litmaster liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved10000 Experience PointsVeteran

No! Don't do either. I can't wait to play the "What Did Tony Say" game! We can turn it into a drinking game with Tony being the officiator!

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by katlero View Post
    No! Don't do either. I can't wait to play the "What Did Tony Say" game! We can turn it into a drinking game with Tony being the officiator!
    I hope everyone's livers can take the pounding. Next time the WA Fancast do a phone-in episode, I'll see if I can record a segment so you can get a general idea
    Likes Litmaster liked this post

"Lurker"

Status
    Tony sounds like he is speaking in Scottish slang, I know this as Im Scottish , it can be hard to understand. Lol

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by McCrystal View Post
    Tony sounds like he is speaking in Scottish slang, I know this as Im Scottish , it can be hard to understand. Lol
    I'm a Geordie, which is equally difficult to understand

Once I've listened to the episode later, I'm hoping to record my feedback for the guys at the WA Fancast, so hold onn to your seats guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast