User Tag List

View Poll Results: When did Michael write the intro Journal entry?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • The day after the outbreak.

0 0%
  • The week after the outbreak.

9 39.13%
  • Sometime in the first few months.

6 26.09%
  • Some sort of final entry/ end of the story.

8 34.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

As I recall, the months leading up to the beginning weren’t much to remember. My unit returned home earlier that year from our tour in Iraq. I had spent three-sixty-five on ground working as military intelligence. Our group came up with those playing cards you saw on the news, the 52 most wanted. I was a hard-charged PFC back then, Private First Class, if someone finds this and doesn’t know.

But, that was the first tour. After our 3rd, I was the tired and depressed Sergeant. Nothing used to scare me back then. I didn’t fear death or what might be there on the other side if today was my day. That was then, and this is now. I write this not for anyone to really read it, but for my own sanity. Maybe if I keep track of it from when it began, it might be able to make more sense to me. Then again, maybe not.

I was 27 at the time and in my 4th year in college. My freshman year started in 2001, almost 8 years ago now. I remember the date as if it was burned into my head. May 8th, 2009.
    I'm gonna say that it was the week after the outbreak. Keeping it simple.
    The day after the outbreak.: Nope, Michael was asleep from the early morning following the outbreak to a day later. Remember the pancakes?

Like Hoff4D pointed out, Michael says he started college almost 8 year prior, in 2001. Colleges generally start in August or September in the U.S. No need to assume any other start date. We'll just make too many muddy assumptions if we allow for summer/spring/winter admissions. The start time for the outbreak is May 8 2009 (subtract 8 years and that's May 8 2001) May is four prior to September, thus four months shy of 8 years. From this time frame we can infer that he started his journal in the months prior to August or September.

Sometime in the first few months.: Is this enough evidence to say that he started writing months into the outbreak? Well, there are only three months between May and August, so this time frame in narrow. But, more importantly, as mentioned by NickVoodoo and Pmchawk, Michael was writing in his journal when everyone was interrupting him in Chapter 4 Part 2. We hear him writing and mentioning that he is writing. He states that he is writing about the days events and tells Tommy that he has been documenting things about their experiences. This event likely takes place within a week of the outbreak.

Some sort of final entry/ end of the story.: So, we know he didn't write it the day after the outbreak (He was asleep) and according to his statement, he started writing prior to the August/September. Also, most importantly is this sentence,
    My freshman year started in 2001, almost 8 years ago now. I remember the date as if it was burned into my head. May 8th, 2009.
    He says 'now' implying that he is writing in the present tense.

In Chapter 4, part 2 we know Michael is already documenting everything in his journal one week into the outbreak, but what about the intro? Did he write it at the same time? Looks like he did.
    I write this not for anyone to really read it, but for my own sanity. Maybe if I keep track of it from when it began, it might be able to make more sense to me. Then again, maybe not.
    Remember he tells Tommy that he's has been documenting events since it started? Well, he starts documenting things from the instant he writes this line... Maybe if I keep track of it from when it began, it might be able to make more sense to me.

Not deductive logic, just a hefty mix of inductive and abductive.
    Last edited by Witch_Doctor; Aug 23rd, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
    Likes Hanniekuma, Hoff4D liked this post
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    I believe it was written before the climactic endeavor of the final season, a note that could possibly be found if whatever they have planned fails, and no one is alive to carry on the information and struggles that they went through.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan.Luiz View Post
    Didn't we hear about him writing in his journal in a discussion with Tommy early in the first season (I want to say chapter 4, but I'm not entirely certain on that)? Because that's when he got everyone to start one? So for this reason I feel he started his journal within the first couple days of the outbreak. But I think the introduction bit was added later, maybe as a summary for the overall outbreak.
    Exactly.
    The scene was like this: Michael wrote stuff, and Tommy annoyed him with questions about those zombies, monsters, things etc. And that was when Michael established the fifth rule of the Tower: Everyone was entitled to write a log/ journal/ diary ... That was - according to the Wiki - on 14th May.

Ok, there is one "weak" thing about it: In theory the whole WA story is based on memories and the journals; and who tells us that everything we learn about the zombocalypse is 100% accurate? But I take things as they are - so my vote is option #2 - Michael started writing his journal within the first week.

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Got any Reynolds Wrap?

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: Hoff4D
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    I think it would be safe to say it's not option 4 (end journal), but I think Michael as a leader would have had to begun writing this narrative right around the same time he forced others. I'm sure there would have been a mini mutiny drama if he made others do it and he didn't. I'm also sure Tanya would have made mention of it when she was compiling journals.

My other reason for saying in the first few months is the option I'd prefer isn't available which is pretty much right around now in the story when there needs to be a brainstorm on the past 7 months in L.A. But hey...I'm glad this got narrowed down for us!
    Yet again, I'm with you...I'd like to think the narrative is him reflecting on the past in a brainstorm session of going back through all the journals to try and find 'something he missed' .....some sort of weakness with his Military Intelligence background, but based on WHAT he says, I'd have to say it's around the time he asked everyone else to start writing. I just wanted to make that first post as a sort of "Just looking at the text with no backstory" reflection. Just trying to give different sides.
    Zombies!
    Are you with me so far?
    Jurassic-era Haze!
    Still with me?
    ZOMBIE PTERODACTYLS!.....Where'd everybody go?

Got any Reynolds Wrap?

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: Hoff4D
    Quote Originally Posted by Witch_Doctor View Post
    I'm gonna say that it was the week after the outbreak. Keeping it simple.
    The day after the outbreak.: Nope, Michael was asleep from the early morning following the outbreak to a day later. Remember the pancakes?

Like Hoff4D pointed out, Michael says he started college almost 8 year prior, in 2001. Colleges generally start in August or September in the U.S. No need to assume any other start date. We'll just make too many muddy assumptions if we allow for summer/spring/winter admissions. The start time for the outbreak is May 8 2009 (subtract 8 years and that's May 8 2001) May is four prior to September, thus four months shy of 8 years. From this time frame we can infer that he started his journal in the months prior to August or September.

Sometime in the first few months.: Is this enough evidence to say that he started writing months into the outbreak? Well, there are only three months between May and August, so this time frame in narrow. But, more importantly, as mentioned by NickVoodoo and Pmchawk, Michael was writing in his journal when everyone was interrupting him in Chapter 4 Part 2. We hear him writing and mentioning that he is writing. He states that he is writing about the days events and tells Tommy that he has been documenting things about their experiences. This event likely takes place within a week of the outbreak.

Some sort of final entry/ end of the story.: So, we know he didn't write it the day after the outbreak (He was asleep) and according to his statement, he started writing prior to the August/September. Also, most importantly is this sentence, He says 'now' implying that he is writing in the present tense.

In Chapter 4, part 2 we know Michael is already documenting everything in his journal one week into the outbreak, but what about the intro? Did he write it at the same time? Looks like he did.

Remember he tells Tommy that he's has been documenting events since it started? Well, he starts documenting things from the instant he writes this line... Maybe if I keep track of it from when it began, it might be able to make more sense to me.

Not deductive logic, just a hefty mix of inductive and abductive.
    I'm with you on this one. I think the narrative we hear in the beginning is written AFTER Chapter 4. Probably around the time he told everyone to write in their journals. I think he went back as soon as he told everyone to start writing to review his own stuff and sort of added/narrated this sort of 'intro'. So Ch 4 stuff is probably chronologically before the intro. This gives us the start date matching his narrative and makes sense out of the 'reflection' he seems to be having

So my vote is conditional. He started writing in his journal the first week or so, he added this narration later
    Last edited by Hoff4D; Aug 26th, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
    Likes Hanniekuma, Red Shirt, Witch_Doctor liked this post
    Zombies!
    Are you with me so far?
    Jurassic-era Haze!
    Still with me?
    ZOMBIE PTERODACTYLS!.....Where'd everybody go?

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurWA PointsBeloved25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: D4wGxxB0neS
    Yeah, wow I misread this question. I read it as, and I'm not sure why, as "When in the story line did Michael begin to recount/read back from his journal the story of what happened". I suppose his intro does not have to coincide with when he actually began to write and keep notes in his journal. I can't say for sure when I think he wrote it but it will be interesting to discover.

I also never really thought for certain that the intro is an actual reading of his journal. It comes across more to me as a verbal retelling of what happened, at least for the intro.
    Last edited by Robzombie; Aug 26th, 2013 at 09:44 AM.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience PointsWell Liked

Gamertag: OldtypeM87
    I would have to guess within the first week since he instructed tommy to tell everyone in the tower to start writing journals and keeping track of events.
    If the zombie invasion happens, the first place I'm going to is Taco Bell for some chalupas. It's the last place anyone would go to.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked

i can't really put my finger on why, but I have a feeling that Michael was keeping a personal journal before the apocalypse and that only the subject matter of the journal changed after the event. My wife keeps a personal journal and in my experience a person who has developed the journalling habit will eventually make time to write things down in their journal no matter how hectic life becomes. My feeling is that he may have just jotted significant events down in point form and went back later to flesh out events within a week of the outbreak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12