User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Zombie humper

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

The Indiana Jones Firefly effect.

I have been watching Firefly on Netflix (Scububba is probably watching right now) and I love how Mal doesn't mess around. In the first episode the bad guy says "you can't run I'll find you" and Mal just shoots him dead to eliminate the problem. In the second episode "Crow" says that he is going to hunt Mal down after he gives a message to his boss, so Mal just kicks him into the intake of the engine. The next guy was much more cooperative.

So many dramas have the lead character make dumb decisions or decisions that are out of character to stretch the story. I remember being 11 and when the bad guy threatened Indiana Jones with a huge sword. Indiana just shot the guy and the theater went absolutely nuts with people laughing, screaming and cheering because everyone was so shocked... that A movie character did the logical thing.

So far We're Alive has been pretty neutral, During the early episodes I am almost screaming at my headphones that they need to find more guns, more safe houses and fortify the tower more. When I learned that CJ's tower did that but fell anyways it was kind of a shock to me, pretty cool.

I don't have any questions or theory's about this just curious if anyone on the forums is NOT a Firefly fan, and if you aren't you need to stop messing around and pull your gun and shoot!

Last edited by Duffusmonkey; Apr 29th, 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

And I'm NOT currently watching an episode of Firefly....

I watched one yesterday.
    Likes Lilydragon, Witch_Doctor liked this post
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

I bought the series, I bought Serenity. I'm a browncoat through and through. Have been since the show aired. Not to sound Hipstery, but I was a fan before it was huge.

That totally sounds hipstery.
    Likes LiamKerrington, scbubba liked this post
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    I watched Firefly when it was first broadcast (out of order) on Fox, and I've been a Browncoat ever since. There are definitely brief moments when WA reminds me of Firefly, but overall I find the shows to be very different. Which I love, because they're both brilliant. One area where WA has it all over Firefly, though,...there's more WA coming!

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Like CP said, they are mostly different but both share being awesome.

I donned my browncoat back in 2006. Too late to be one of the originals, I guess. But, the story and the characters just struck a cord with me. I think most of all it's Mal - trying to do the right thing, helping people, staying alive but refusing to get chewed up and spit out by the big bad 'verse.

And Joss Whedon made these guys and girls so daggum likable and relatable.

And Kc is doing it too in WA.

God bless you both, gentlemen...

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

In all honesty: When I watched the first episodes of Firefly I had some trouble with connecting. But at an uncertain point I got attached and connected with everything from this show - the crew and cast, the "technology" depicted, the overall SciFi-theme, the Wild-West-Three-Musketeers-A-Team-In-A-Nutshell-Sandbox-mishmash, and everything ... I was and am very sorry that Firefly did not have the great opportunity to unfold as much as it was originally planned to do. And when the movie was screened, I was like: Wtf did they do to Shepherd? And what in the name of whatever did happen between the movie and the TV-show? This makes me very curious about this huge gap in the story. That is why I am looking forward to getting the new Firefly-RPG which will be released during this year (I guess around GenCon); and I already own the first Firefly-RPG ...

Firefly is an awesome piece of pop-culture. And considering the differences and the similarities with both Firefly and WA I guess I, too, like both because of similar reasons - as you already mentioned above.

Thank you Kc, Cast, Crew, and Community.

edit: scbubba: You nailed it in your opening posting of this thread ... I'd like to rep you, but currently I can't ...

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Last edited by LiamKerrington; Apr 30th, 2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: I had to remove a lot of typos ... Also some minor text-refurbishing
    Likes Cabbage Patch, scbubba liked this post
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    ...when the movie was screened, I was like: Wtf did they do to Sheppard? And what in the name of Whatever did happen between the movie and the TV-show? And I am curious about this huge gap in the total story...
    Josh Whedon wrote two comic books series and a graphic novel set, roughly, between the end of the TV Series and The Movie that help to fill in the gap. They're available on line from Darkhorse Comics. Be warned, they are a nice fix for us Firefly junkies, but they won't answer all your questions.

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    Josh Whedon wrote two comic books series and a graphic novel set, roughly, between the end of the TV Series and The Movie that help to fill in the gap. They're available on line from Darkhorse Comics. Be warned, they are a nice fix for us Firefly junkies, but they won't answer all your questions.
    You know, I feel like I ought to turn in my browncoat for a while because I STILL don't have copies of the comic book/graphic novel stuff. Shame on me.... But in my defense:

Mal: "You can't open the book of my life and jump in the middle. Like woman, I'm a mystery."

I shall go earn my browncoat back momentarily! (off to google up me some comics)

Zombie humper

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

I kept hearing about Firefly from a lot of Nerdy Podcasts I listen too and usually the suggestions are NOT for everyone, "I have still avoided Trueblood". But I finally broke down and finlly got Netflix just so I could start watching Firefly. My first thoughts were WTF its a Western?

I am only a few episodes in so give me a week or two before dropping too many spoilers
    Last edited by Duffusmonkey; Apr 30th, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
    Likes scbubba liked this post

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Duffusmonkey View Post
    I kept hearing about Firefly from a lot of Nerdy Podcasts I listen too and usually the suggestions are NOT for everyone, "I have still avoided Trueblood". But I finally broke down and finlly got Netflix just so I could start watching Firefly. My first thoughts were WTF its a Western?

I am only a few episodes in so give me a week or two before dropping too many spoilers
    How are you liking it so far?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast