User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWell Liked1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    Ok, I'll take you up on that... Got any examples from the We're Alive storyline?
    Basically, as has been discussed a bit any point where characters had a discussion about the ends justifying the means. I think about the pippen situation. The characters had the moral dilemma of do we kill him and do a bad thing in order to protect the larger group, the greater good.

Our friend pegs has had some of the greatest struggles to accept this concept of morality, as has been very well documented.
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWell Liked1 year registered
    It has been implied that the zombie restoration problem has been addressed in universe. This is the stated reason that the east coast is gone, which is a bit disheartening on a personal level. They were holding back, hoping a cure would be possible.

I agree with Liam. If we start getting too deep into the question of morality as it applies in this situation then it will get very complicated. i am doing research in this field at the moment, shall return soon when I am at a computer
    Likes Cabbage Patch liked this post

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HardKor View Post
    When I hear "theological and ethical theories," my mind immediately goes to something that has been fairly popular in zombie fiction, especially recently: Can zombies be "saved?"...

...But so far We're Alive has avoided the issue. There hasn't been any questions about the ethics of killing zombies on the show that I can think of even though evidence seems to point to the idea that the zombies may be technically living...
    Fascinating point! I agree that there hasn't been an extended discussion in WA about the ethical issue of killing the zombies, but there was a cautionary tale, courtesy of COL Kimmet. When Kimmet first meets with Michael he mentions that the commanders of the other military bases he was in touch with tried to avoid shooting at the zombies, and one-by-one they were overrun. He had his people kill them, and his base was still holding out (at the time).

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy D View Post
    Basically, as has been discussed a bit any point where characters had a discussion about the ends justifying the means. I think about the pippen situation. The characters had the moral dilemma of do we kill him and do a bad thing in order to protect the larger group, the greater good.

Our friend pegs has had some of the greatest struggles to accept this concept of morality, as has been very well documented.
    Exactly. Think about when they are discussing Kalani's betrayal and Micheal says, '...we can do this all day..' It was a cycle of bad actions with some good results. Part of the human condition is coping with the joy of a good outcome that came about via a tragedy.
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

Got any Reynolds Wrap?

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: Hoff4D
    Leave enough of you guys alone in a forum long enough, and you get deep, WOW.

Where have I been?
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post
    Zombies!
    Are you with me so far?
    Jurassic-era Haze!
    Still with me?
    ZOMBIE PTERODACTYLS!.....Where'd everybody go?

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HardKor View Post
    When I hear "theological and ethical theories," my mind immediately goes to something that has been fairly popular in zombie fiction, especially recently: Can zombies be "saved?" ...Can zombies be "saved?" Does whether or not they're technically living matter?
    BBC America has a mini-series coming up that explores this idea. It's called "In the Flesh" and it will air in the US starting June 6, 2013.
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...-event-june-6/

The story is set in the aftermath of a zombie outbreak, where the "zombies" have been cured, and are being returned to their pre-outbreak lives and homes. It takes the question of "can zombies be saved" as a given, and dives into the question of can they be forgiven, and can they forgive themselves for what they did while they were infected.
    Likes scbubba, Witch_Doctor liked this post

"Maintenance Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranBeloved
    I don't know if this applies here, but I've been wondering what the storyline implies about war in general. If part of the subtext of this story could be seen as the reality of war against an aggressor. I mean, people in this story want to get together and make a happy safe normal life which will be impossible given Ink as a smart and really driven opponent. NOTHING they do will work in the long term as long as Ink is out there determined to destroy them because destruction is always easier and quicker than construction.

Lots of the Looney Tune cartoons from the WWII era show that it helps to dehumanize an enemy by stereotyping them and denying their motivations (they're just evil). But maybe you have to do that in order to win. If you treated the zombies like the people they used to be--trying to react tho them on a case by case basis--they destroyed you. Only defeated (cured) can they be seen as humans again and helped.

I guess for the Middle East it would have to be more like an Invasion of the Pod People (ignoring the whole red-scare aspect). You don't know who is your enemy and your friends could turn into your enemies. In fact, fighting your enemies causes so much destruction that it leads non pod people to become pod people...gnnnnngh...OW! I think I just broke my cerebrum.
    Likes Cabbage Patch, Hanniekuma liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12