User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    "Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    I think that it should start off as a failed government experiment to recreate a 'super soldier serum' from a secret underground base. maybe it was e.t. playing with his chemistry kit. or maybe it was the 'lizard people' that are slowly taking over the world?

"Hunter"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran
    I'm a fan of the artificial creation theories but thats a little comic book.
    On the other hand I've heard people suggest voodoo and weird crime cults before so who knows?

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt

SPECIAL UPDATE: Recent news, relevant to this theory and similar ones.

Do you have a cup of coffee? Tea? Soda? No? I'll wait.

You're back? Alright, lets get started... I've been putting off this update long enough. Buckle up, this one is link heavy.

OK, one of the places that I get my science news is through the weekly Science & Skepticism podcast Skeptic's Guide to the Universe. I recently learned from them of several new developments that I'd like to mention here.

News Item #1:

From the "This Day in Skepticism" segment that starts the show, SGU Episode #414 featured the eruption of Lakagígar in Iceland. Not a "classic" volcano, it is a fissure and on June 8th, 1783 this fissure opened explosively with 130 craters. The eruption became less explosive after a few days and more Strombolian and eventually Hawaiian in character, but it continued until February 7th, 1784... Eight months.

During this time it released 3.4 cu mi (14 km3) of basaltic lava, 8 million tons of hydrogen fluoride and 120 million tons of sulfur dioxide. By June 22, 1783 the cloud of gas had reached Le Havre France. In Iceland, it killed approximately half the livestock and between the famine and fluoride poisoning, 25% of Iceland's population died. Globally, due to the drastic change in the climate, it is estimated that six million died, making this eruption the second deadliest eruption known.

From the perspective of the WND story, this event can sort of explain the haze that is seen at ground zero... In fact, the hazy area in Inglewood is small by comparison.

News Item #2:

As featured in SGU Episode #415 as a Science or Fiction item, there is new evidence showing that there is a new subduction zone forming off the coast of Portugal. The long term geological implications for this are that over the next 220 million years, the Atlantic Ocean could close and North America gets pulled towards Europe.

This demonstrates how dynamic and changing our planet still is, even 4.5 Bn years after formation. Here's the article over at Science Daily.

News Item #3:

From the SGU Episode #419 News Segment: The Pandora virus, the largest virus ever discovered, both in mass and size of the genome. Is essentially a new form of life that may be worthy of a new domain. So far two have been discovered, the Pandoravirus dulcis and Pandoravirus salinus. These things are so large in fact, that at a size approaching one micrometer, they can be seen with a ordinary light microscope, rather than the electron microscopes that are usually used to look at viruses.

(Life on Earth currently falls under three Domains: Archaea, Bacteria and Eukaryote. This level of discovery is entirely unprecedented.)

To compare, the genome of the virus Influenza A consists of 13,588 base pairs that code for eleven genes. Pd's genome consists of 2.47 million base pairs that code for 1500 genes and Ps's consists of 1.91 million base pairs coding for 2500 genes. (For further comparison, the Human genome is about 3 billion base pairs that codes for 20,000 genes.)

Here's the really interesting part: Through various genome projects around the world, geneticists have built up databases of the life they are studying. Through this it has been learned that many disparate creatures have some of the same genes, even when they are vastly different animals. In these new viruses, 93% of the genes have never been seen before and are completely unknown to any genetic data base.

These things are so large, that they had been previously overlooked. They had been previously discovered but were initially misidentified as bacteria. They weren't described until just last month. It is believed that "we" now know what to look for, it is likely that there are many more of these viruses to be discovered.

Articles HERE and HERE.

There is a lot more I would like to add to this line of thought, but the information I need escapes me... Things along the lines of ancient viral DNA getting incorporated into the non-coding segments in the DNA of extant life.

Alright, time to put my foil hat back on and go stare at pictures of tattoos.
    Last edited by Red Shirt; Aug 24th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt View Post
    Do you have a cup of coffee? Tea? Soda? No? I'll wait.

You're back? Alright, lets get started... I've been putting off this update long enough. Buckle up, this one is link heavy.

Hey! Who's that noisy? Oh, Red Shirt, as usual.
    Wow buddy! I was thinking of We're Alive too when they mentioned these news items. I also listened to Astronomy Cast's Ring of Fire episode, but I couldn't find anything that seemed germane.

Good find.
    Likes Red Shirt liked this post
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Witch_Doctor View Post
    Hey! Who's that noisy? Oh, Red Shirt, as usual.
    Wow buddy! I was thinking of We're Alive too when they mentioned these news items. I also listened to Astronomy Cast's Ring of Fire episode, but I couldn't find anything that seemed germane.
    Good find.
    Ahhh, a fellow Rouge... right here at WA

I got super excited when I saw the Ring of Fire episode pop up in my feed. Alas, there was nothing particularly new or that related to the world of WA.

(Oh, and I'll admit I kinda <3 Dr. Gay. Not to sound creepy or anything, she has an excellent voice. In fact, according to episode 309, she's also getting into narration and voice work.)
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

(Oh, and I'll admit I kinda <3 Dr. Gay. Not to sound creepy or anything, she has an excellent voice. In fact, according to episode 309, she's also getting into narration and voice work.)

Boy, her voice is sooooooo sultry. Speaking of voices, I always imagine Frazer as looking like Frye from Futurama.
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

"Lurker"

Status
    Very good theory

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registeredLoved

I further conjecture that the "Zombie" Plague is a bacteria, or a bacteria like organism and an Extremophile. As we know it is hostile to other forms of life... Keeping other forms of life "in check," periodically killing off life in ELE's as their proliferation ebbed and flowed with time. Therefore it was at some point removed from the Earth's surface in order to allow the Cambrian Explosion to occur.
    Similar thoughts occurred to me, but I hadn't realized you'd beaten me to posting them (by several months). Have you seen my recent post about crows excrement carrying antibiotic-resistant bacteria?

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    LOVED TO DEATHVeteran25000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDung View Post
    Have you seen my recent post about crows excrement carrying antibiotic-resistant bacteria?
    O.O

...This would be the only place I would learn that kind of stuff...
    ...Don't tell me how you found that info, BTW. :P

P.S. I read that post - I think. It was Vancomycin as far as I remember.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registeredLoved

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    It was Vancomycin as far as I remember.
    Yup. BTW, check out this scary article:

Imagining the Post-Antibiotics Future
    After 85 years, antibiotics are growing impotent. So what will medicine, agriculture and everyday life look like if we lose these drugs entirely?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123