User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    "Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registeredLoved

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    I do not agree with manipulating art to be less offensive to an individual. It's like walking into a gallery, taking a paintbrush, and slopping black all over a painting because it shows the form of a naked woman and you don't want to expose you child to it. Here's a pro-tip, don't expose your kids to it period. If you think it's too much for their little minds to comprehend, don't expose them to it. Don't take it upon yourself to force that value upon the world around you.
    I guess network TV edits of movies really piss you off, then, because this is really no different.
    Likes Bullethead, Litmaster liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    A parenting style would be to NOT let your children listen to something you felt would have a negative impact on them based on language, until a time when they are old enough to understand. For all intents and purposes, the parent is taking away the choice between the unaltered work and the censored piece. By your definition, you've agreed that it's censorship.
    I suppress lots of media. I don't just bleep or blur; I ban. Am I censoring? Maybe. I don't care, though, because I see that as part of my job as a parent. Do I ever provide "adulterated" media for my kids? Not often, but yeah. Every time I play something like "Forget You" instead of "Fuck You" or the clean version of Radiohead's "Creep", I'm doing that. Granted, the original artists not only approved of those alterations, but they participated in their creation. However, KC gave approval (within certain reasonable limits).

If Duffusmonkey wants to make edits just for his kids, he's free to do so as far as I'm concerned. DMCA and other copyright law be damned. What anyone does to media for personal consumption is their own damn business and content creators and busybody art purists can piss off. Distributing edited works for others enters different territory, but permission has already been granted.

I don't know if I would do what DM has done for my kids. They're not old enough to consider it, and won't be for several years yet. I don't think it's impossible, though. Yeah, there's violence, but it's not particularly bad, IMHO. It's not gratuitous, and even the really bad parts can only be imagined. I mean, it's not like the kids can see ludicrous gibs flying across a screen in 3D. [Bonus points to the first person to remember the source of "ludicrous gibs".] There's a little bit of implied sexual activity, but it's not like KC had the actress doing her best "Sally in a restaurant with Harry" impression. So, that just leaves the language. Given the amount and nature of violence, and the amount and nature of sexual activity, I could justify presenting a version of WA that's edited for language to my kids. Furthermore, if I thought other parents might appreciate having the same, and KC approved of it, I might provide it for others as DM has. Kids are very impressionable, and I don't want mine swearing like the characters in WA. As was said earlier, profanity is for lazy, uncreative people who can't think of anything more intelligent or witty to say. I ought to know; I'm very often that lazy, uncreative son of a bitch.

Sorry for being all over the map with my response, but I just found out about this controversy, and I have a lot of soapbox time to catch up on.

ADDENDUM: Another post in the thread reminded me of the attempted rape. Not sure I'd let that through my censoring to get to my kids.
    Last edited by FunkyDung; Feb 16th, 2014 at 05:54 PM.
    Likes kent17 liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Duffusmonkey View Post
    The Tardust rape attempt is the most uncomfortable scene I left in the edit. It wasn't the language it wad what was happening that is rough. KC did a great job creating suspense and shock without being to graphic.
    Wowsers. I'd forgotten about that. When I was thinking of sexual content earlier, I was thinking of Michael and Pegs. I'd really have to think long and hard about what age an attempted rape scene would be ok to let my kids listen to.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki Amateur1000 Experience PointsWell Liked1 year registered

PSN ID: BlueLightMoths Steam ID: burgerbros
    Thanks so much.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    One thing I will say, and I may sound like a broken record because this is something I've been wanting to do for a while, is eventually release the clean version of the show. That'll most likely happen AFTER we're all done.

Zombie humper

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

Learn from Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    One thing I will say, and I may sound like a broken record because this is something I've been wanting to do for a while, is eventually release the clean version of the show. That'll most likely happen AFTER we're all done.
    You will probably be too busy making movies and too rich to care by then,
    Some day people will say "I wish KC Wayland would learn from George Lucas and sell the rights to We're alive so that more movies could made, six movies were just not enough!"

Then again my predictions have pretty much all been wrong
    Last edited by Duffusmonkey; Feb 28th, 2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Can't spell, bad english
    LOOK AT MY AVATAR!!!!! I have a bottle of trioxin 245 in my hand and I am NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!!!!!

Zombie humper

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

Since the show is coming to an end I finally got caught up with PG13 Edit of every episode up chapter 47 part 2
    Likes beezball liked this post
    LOOK AT MY AVATAR!!!!! I have a bottle of trioxin 245 in my hand and I am NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!!!!!

"Lurker"

Status
    I tried VERY hard to not alter the story in any way, but I taught my sons that cursing is for people who are to lazy or dumb to express themselves. There is a great comedy sketch about Fuck being the most versatile word in the english language, its a Noun a verb, a adjective I would link to it on You tube but that is cut from a larger commedy sketch and by taking it out of context I would be altering the orginal art. Axis Bank Corporate Login

Regards, teatv.ltd
    Last edited by oliverthom707; Jan 19th, 2021 at 07:40 AM.

"Lurker"

Status
    I'd be pretty upset if someone took my Podcasts, edited all the naughty words out, then re-posted them without my blessing. get-vidmate.com instasave.onl
    Last edited by feedtaleone; Feb 18th, 2021 at 06:12 AM.

"Lurker"

Status
    I can apprecciate the intent. As a father of a 14 year old who knows more dirty words than I do... I would have no use for this. But I always worried more about my son 'parroting' foul language than exposing him to Michelangelo's David or Venus Rising. If you let your kids play video games online I can gaurantee they are hearing worse there.
    teatv apk
    hellodear.in
    Last edited by kumar0raja; May 7th, 2021 at 02:49 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast