User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    "Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Imagine if WA would have been produced in the 1980s

Hello and good evening at all,

As I posted some examples of what the 1980s TV television burnt into my visual memory in the Old Farts group, I started wondering about the changes that might had been applied to the source material if show had been aired in the 1980s. Here are my guesses - all based on the assumption that it would have not been Kc who created the 1980 version.

• Michael and Saul are Vietnam veterans at the beginning. In addition, Saul's role might be toned down a bit whilst Angelo being upgraded a bit.
    • Gosh, I hope that I do not insult anybody by this - Saul might have been more the 1980-ish Afro-American stereotype like Mr T or Hawk (Spencer For Hire)
    • As a result - there would have been no Saul/Lizzy relationship - I do not remember to have seen it in any series from the Eighties (Please, feel free to correct me)
    • Scratch would have been male with Latch being female. In the Eighties, most conflicts which included physical combat were restricted to only male opponents
    • Alternatively, Scratch would be the overacting, scheming femme fatale alongside Durai, with Durai being some sort of Ivan Drago / Vin Diesel role model.
    • The female cast would have not played such a major role on Team Good (especially Kelly)

I think that I would not have liked that version. What are your thoughts on this? Any additions / corrections?

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    WA Points1 year registeredWell Liked10000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post
    Hello and good evening at all,

As I posted some examples of what the 1980s TV television burnt into my visual memory in the Old Farts group, I started wondering about the changes that might had been applied to the source material if show had been aired in the 1980s. Here are my guesses - all based on the assumption that it would have not been Kc who created the 1980 version.

• Michael and Saul are Vietnam veterans at the beginning. In addition, Saul's role might be toned down a bit whilst Angelo being upgraded a bit.
    • Gosh, I hope that I do not insult anybody by this - Saul might have been more the 1980-ish Afro-American stereotype like Mr T or Hawk (Spencer For Hire)
    • As a result - there would have been no Saul/Lizzy relationship - I do not remember to have seen it in any series from the Eighties (Please, feel free to correct me)
    • Scratch would have been male with Latch being female. In the Eighties, most conflicts which included physical combat were restricted to only male opponents
    • Alternatively, Scratch would be the overacting, scheming femme fatale alongside Durai, with Durai being some sort of Ivan Drago / Vin Diesel role model.
    • The female cast would have not played such a major role on Team Good (especially Kelly)

I think that I would not have liked that version. What are your thoughts on this? Any additions / corrections?
    Jeffersons had an interracial couple, as well as a few episodes of the Cosby Show.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Oh, ok, I have not know the Jeffersons TV show until know. And I have missed most of the Cosby Show. But thanks a lot!

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    However, after some research done, these examples seem to have been exceptions from the rule (or call it 1980 TV reality) I have to say.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    WA Points1 year registeredWell Liked10000 Experience Points

I agree

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    Didn't all in the family also explore racial tension like that? I know a part of the show was a statement about Archie's racism and how it affected the family

Edit: a thought just struck me....a lot of the comedies of the late seventies-early eighties that most people would consider "edgey" at the time used their shows as a vehicle for social commentary...best example would be the stupidity of racism as all in the family presented it. To me it feels very similar to the type of social commentary found in many zombie/post apocalyptic tales from about 2000 foward...huh, interesting....
    Last edited by 7oddisdead; Nov 17th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Cool observation 7odd. I think you're dead on about "edgey" pushing things forward in a progressive way. A lot of folks would call it the demise of societal norms, but lets face it some of those "norms" need to die (eg racism, sexism)
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Hi 7oddisdead, yeah, nice addition. There is a very different tone in WA when it comes to stereotypes -> they just serve a jokes, like when Saul asks Victor to hot-wire a car. There is no real expression of racism in WA, which makes the show an exception.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    By the way, who would wear the big Magnum PI giant size mustache? Michael, Saul or Angel?

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post
    Hi 7oddisdead, yeah, nice addition. There is a very different tone in WA when it comes to stereotypes -> they just serve a jokes, like when Saul asks Victor to hot-wire a car. There is no real expression of racism in WA, which makes the show an exception.
    absolutely...but, say you presented the show as it is now....back then. It would probly have that same demographic and "edge" to it. All the things we see now as not a big deal, aren't a big deal because of the issues explored then(racism,sexism,etc)...so in a way, the very things we are talking about here...are things that would have been needed for a show like w/a to have succeeded and really left the kind of mark we would hope it would.
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast