User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Your loyal web dev.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA Points10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive

Gamertag: XtremeRSR PSN ID: SenatorX
    Watched it last night, i went in thinking it wasn't World War Z. I kind of enjoyed it. Still will only give it 7/10

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    Out of curiosity, if the movie ends up being entertaining (I'm not saying a cinematic masterpiece, but entertaining), but completely untrue to the source material except for the broadest possible margins, could you still enjoy it? Or would you view it as utter and complete BETRAYAL! and demand your time and money back?
    I will admit that I enjoyed it. Not only was it better than I thought it would be, it was pretty darn good.
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    Out of curiosity, if the movie ends up being entertaining (I'm not saying a cinematic masterpiece, but entertaining), but completely untrue to the source material except for the broadest possible margins, could you still enjoy it? Or would you view it as utter and complete BETRAYAL! and demand your time and money back?
    I guess it boils down to what you expect. If you want to see a thorough and well done adaption of the book, you will be very annoyed and disappointed. But if you want to see a zombocalypse-movie which shows tribute to the original source with a few references you might be well entertained. But this depends on your decision about your expectations before you visit cinema.

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Hi there,

is it only me, or did the zombies remind you a lot of Kc's We're Alive zombies?
    The are very powerful, react to noises and to a certain degree pheromons (they dismay victims which suffer from terminal sickness), very quick turning ...

Ok, this is true for some more Zombie-stories ... But to me this is maybe too much of a coincidence. What if the writers of the movie-script were mixing We're Alive zombies with the "World War Z" background-story? Or is it kind of a too far stretch?

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Last edited by LiamKerrington; Jul 6th, 2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: important ammendment
    Likes Cabbage Patch liked this post
    Zombie Story:
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Hi there,

They are very powerful, react to noises and to a certain degree to smell or hormons of their targets, too, (they dismay victims which suffer from terminal sickness, which is what they need to recognize somehow), very quick turning from human to zombies ...

Ok, this is true for some more Zombie-stories ... But to me this is maybe too much of a coincidence. What if the writers of the movie-script were mixing We're Alive zombies with the "World War Z" background-story? Or is it kind of a too far stretch?

Best wishes!
    Liam

P.S.: Sorry for double-posting ... I actually wanted to edit my former posting; but the buttons "save" and "go advanced" won't work for whatever reason ...
    Zombie Story:
    - is fun.

"Hoarder"

Status

I saw this last week and liked it. I wasn't a fan of the book at all considering how much they got wrong and how preachy Brooks was.

I liked that there was no Battle of Yonkers since it strayed SO far away from what would actually happen if the military had to fight zombies and that was the point in the book where Brooks totally lost me.

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Leedo2502 View Post
    I saw this last week and liked it. I wasn't a fan of the book at all considering how much they got wrong and how preachy Brooks was.

I liked that there was no Battle of Yonkers since it strayed SO far away from what would actually happen if the military had to fight zombies and that was the point in the book where Brooks totally lost me.
    I had to suspend a lot of disbelief at the Battle of Yonkers as well. I like the overall device of the "oral history" in the book and I see that he really needed a major military malfunction to be able to set up the world the way he did for the story. But it seemed like a very unlikely scenario.

The way the movie portrayed things as a rapid outbreak instead of a slow spread over a long period would have severely hurt military's ability to mount a major offensive inside the US. But since the world in the movie was setup differently, we didn't need anything explicitly laying it out (i.e. a Battle of Yonkers scene).

Overall, I was entertained by the movie and the book. I don't put either near the top of any list of movies/books.

My $0.02.
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    Hi there,
    The are very powerful, react to noises and to a certain degree pheromons (they dismay victims which suffer from terminal sickness), very quick turning ...
    Best wishes!
    Liam
    I had the same thought! It was like the writers doing the adaptation needed something to make the revised story work, and they borrowed the zombie dynamics from We're Alive to do it. I'm sure that no one will ever admit anything, but I'm betting one of the writers is a WA fan. Let's see, there was Mathew Michael Carnahan, Drew Goddard, Damon Lindelof, J. Michael Straczynski, Saul Tink and some guy named Victor something or another.
    Likes scbubba, LiamKerrington liked this post

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leedo2502 View Post

Yeah, the hardest criticism on Brooks's oral history of the zombie-apocalypse is about his depiction of military actions against the horde.
    But that's not the point about the book. The idea of the book was to draw a picture about what might happen to small communities as well as large communities on a larger, global scale; also certain special abilities of humans to struggle for survival were part of the focus of the book. And that's actually where the strength comes from. The Yonkers-scene was hilarious and might hurt military personell a lot. I can understand that. Although I never was with Y-Tours (the German military services, Y-Tours named after the first letter of the license number on military vehicles), Yonkers always felt kind of wrong to me - not only because of the way this scene was set up, but also because of the 'type of character' chosen to tell the story.
    Regardless of that the lack of precision in viewing the military action does not make the book too bad - at least not for me; and I appreciate this piece of pop-culture a lot actually ...
    Zombie Story:
    - is fun.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    I had the same thought! It was like the writers doing the adaptation needed something to make the revised story work, and they borrowed the zombie dynamics from We're Alive to do it. I'm sure that no one will ever admit anything, but I'm betting one of the writers is a WA fan. Let's see, there was Mathew Michael Carnahan, Drew Goddard, Damon Lindelof, J. Michael Straczynski, Saul Tink and some guy named Victor something or another.
    I need to watch the movie again ... Where did these names appear in the movie???
    Thank you for sharing!

edit: imbd.com was a help; except for Saul Tink and Victor something I could pinpoint the names ...

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Last edited by LiamKerrington; Jul 17th, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Zombie Story:
    - is fun.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast