User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Datu

twitter.com/AerockParinas

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First Class1000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger Second Class1 year registered

Gamertag: aZuLPiNoY PSN ID: aZuLPiNoY

Datu Datu

If you're not on Chapter 10, there are some spoilers... You were warned.

Datu is an interesting character. There are a lot of things about him that I love, but there are also a bunch of things I hate about him. He's innovative and funny, but he's kind of a wuss. I love how he is a glass half-full type of guy, but he doesn't give himself enough credit.

I like how he seems to be religious (when he tells people to pray, and how he references purgatory... Go Catholics!), but since he's from the Philippines, he should be WAY more religious! His accent is easy for me to understand (my mom and dad are both from the Philippines - my dad's even from Luzon!), but what throws me off is that it sounds like he's reading when he talks. The pauses don't seem natural, and it seems robotic.

I'm only on Chapter 10 so far, but for me, the funniest thing about Datu to date is when the zombies were taking him away. When he said that they weren't biting him, it kind of sounded like he felt cheated! Some other things that crack me up are how WA does the whole "Asians can't drive" stereotype, his being shy around women (like around Samantha in Chapter 10), and whenever he decides to put his foot down and be assertive.

I really hope that Datu becomes more battle proficient. What're your thoughts on this character?
    Drop beats, not bombs. Fight war, not wars. When the heart does not know what it cannot do, it does everything. Revolution only works for those who participate. Start loving... I am ♥

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    High Level Wiki10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran
    There are so, so many things I could say here but they'd be a bit spoiler-ish and I'd really rather not ruin the fun for you. It's great to hear you're enjoying him and it's interesting to hear that critique on the pauses. It's not something I noticed at all when I listen to the character but I tend to be pretty oblivious at times. :P

Welcome to the insanity and enjoy all the back to back episodes as you catch up. It won't be long until you've got to wait for them with the rest of us shmucks.

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Aerock View Post
    If you're not on Chapter 10, there are some spoilers... You were warned.
    I like how he seems to be religious (when he tells people to pray, and how he references purgatory... Go Catholics!), but since he's from the Philippines, he should be WAY more religious! His accent is easy for me to understand (my mom and dad are both from the Philippines - my dad's even from Luzon!), but what throws me off is that it sounds like he's reading when he talks. The pauses don't seem natural, and it seems robotic.

Props for the spoiler warning. I have a friend with a simmilar accent, but Datu sounds like he's trying to talk loud without yelling. You're right about it sounding like Jay Oligario is reading from the script. Well, actually his is, but he still sounds like it too.

I'm only on Chapter 10 so far, but for me, the funniest thing about Datu to date is when the zombies were taking him away. When he said that they weren't biting him, it kind of sounded like he felt cheated! Some other things that crack me up are how WA does the whole "Asians can't drive" stereotype, his being shy around women (like around Samantha in Chapter 10), and whenever he decides to put his foot down and be assertive.

Ha! Never thought about like that. Funny, though.

I really hope that Datu becomes more battle proficient. What're your thoughts on this character?

Man, spoilers. Just keep listening.
    Last edited by Witch_Doctor; Oct 28th, 2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed Datu right from the beginning. Because of the clichés, because of him being different in so many ways, because his voice can be sooooo annoying, especially because of very few sentences he has, like this one: "It's ok. I was already done eating, when I sat down." (or something like that). You haven't heard this one, but simply pay attention to the situation WHEN he says it. I admire his character for those precious moments.
    But I would not want to go as far as to "like" the character; I only enjoy him.
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Scavenger"

Status
    I think he's one of the most interesting characters, I got the impression that he thought he should of died at the end of purgatory and almost gave up on life after that and now he's occupying himself by looking after hope even though I think he understands the fruitless nature of his efforts.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Datu - the unofficial fifth member of the A-Team (let's pretend Frankie never happened): a resourceful craftsman who has a soft spot for killing his opponents with improvised weapons.

"Fresh Meat"

Status

Gamertag: Darkpa55enger42
    The asian guy can't drive. How racist. *Tongue firmly implanted in cheek*

"Lurker"

Status
    Spoiler alert if you're not at least to chapter 35

The main problem I have with Datu is that he is supposed to be the maintenance guy for the apartment building, which would mean he has some mechanical ability, but to be able to fix the generator, then get a car running, then later on fix the hydraulic line on the helicopter, and finally to fix the "pelican", wow. Is he just super mechanically inclined, or some kind of savant? If he was that good, wouldn't he have had a better job than just being a maintenance guy?

Oh and as for his voice, its the only one that bugs me. Seems whiney even when he's not complaining.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWell Liked1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidWolf View Post
    Spoiler alert if you're not at least to chapter 35

The main problem I have with Datu is that he is supposed to be the maintenance guy for the apartment building, which would mean he has some mechanical ability, but to be able to fix the generator, then get a car running, then later on fix the hydraulic line on the helicopter, and finally to fix the "pelican", wow. Is he just super mechanically inclined, or some kind of savant? If he was that good, wouldn't he have had a better job than just being a maintenance guy?

Oh and as for his voice, its the only one that bugs me. Seems whiney even when he's not complaining.
    It is stated that he is taking classes that could explain some of his working knowledge to repair engines and so on. So it may not be a case of completely pulling solutions out of the air.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Witch_Doctor View Post
    Props for the spoiler warning. I have a friend with a simmilar accent, but Datu sounds like he's trying to talk loud without yelling. You're right about it sounding like Jay Oligario is reading from the script. Well, actually his is, but he still sounds like it too.
    Datu's specific background isn't discussed directly, weather he was 1st generation American born to immigrant parents, or if he was an immigrant himself...
    I think of the character as speaking English as a second language... that he speaks it well but is still getting accustomed the proper syntax. Hence the unusual cadence to the his speech mannerisms. I have known some people that were speaking English as a second language and this was true for them as well... an unusual meter and cadence, unusual pauses and word choices in their speech. Not the wrong word per se, but not necessarily the word that an English as a 1st language speaker might have used.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidWolf View Post
    Again, a significant gap in his history. If he is an immigrant, then what was his profession before coming to America? I suspect the character is at the core very mechanically inclined and that his previous occupation was something rather technical and highly placed. But as it seems to be the case, at least popularized, that much of the training, certifications and degrees that immigrants obtained at home is "not accepted" here in the US. Datu then took a job that was closest to what he knew.

That's not to say that "maintenance guy" is a menial position. Being a facilities manager would require you to be well versed in several trades like plumbing, electrician, carpentry, ect.

Matter of fact, I seem to remember Datu saying that he was going to night school to get his contractor's license.
    Last edited by Red Shirt; Jan 14th, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast