User Tag List

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    "Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked

Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    My understanding from a timeline posted in another thread was yes, the nuke and the coup happened on the same day, or at least close to each other. The colony action was happening around 7pm, but I think datu said it was 7am for him. So there might now be a 12 hour lag between the stories in terms of what we've heard.
    Thanks for pointing out that timeline thread. I can't believe the work that must have taken. The nuclear event wasn't listed yet but it gives me a pretty good idea of how the whole story has evolved.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    It's been a long time since I've calculated nuclear blast effects and downwind fallout hazard, so this is pretty rough.

Bomb Type: B83 1.2 megaton fusion warhead
    Equivalent Yield: 1,200,000 tons of TNT
    Prevailing Wind: West to East

Estimated Impact of 1.2 megaton ground burst over downtown Boulder:

Inner Red Circle—Area consumed by firestorm

Outer Red Circle—Probable total area of the firestorm

Red Arrows—Downwind Radioactive Fallout zone

The Federation of American Scientists provide an excellent description of the effects of a nuclear blast at this link: http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/effects.htm

The Nuclear Darkness website has a tool that allows you to simulate the blast effects of a nuclear bomb on a specific location. Pick a target location, pick a blast yield (1,200 kt for a B83) and see how it plots out on Google Maps.
    http://www.nucleardarkness.org/nucle...sionsimulator/
    What about the EMP? Would they be close enough for that to kill their car?

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    What about the EMP? Would they be close enough for that to kill their car?
    The impact of EMP is always difficult to predict, but my guess is that Datu and Hope are safe. It was a ground burst, which would reduce the range of both EMP and short wave radiation. Plus there is a lot of mountainous terrain between them and Boulder, which should block whatever EMP effect there is.

And were my ears deceiving me, or was that a classic muscle car that they were driving? Modern cars with fuel injection, pollution control systems and engine computers are much more vulnerable to EMP than older models with carburetors. I'm picturing them in a 68 Chevelle, or maybe a GTO. The most vulnerable component...the battery, and we already know they have a spare.
    Last edited by Cabbage Patch; Oct 8th, 2012 at 09:10 PM.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsWell Liked
    And were my ears deceiving me, or was that a classic muscle car that they were driving? Modern cars with fuel injection, pollution control systems and engine computers are much more vulnerable to EMP than older models with carburetors. I'm picturing them in a 68 Chevelle, or maybe a GTO. The most vulnerable component...the battery, and we already know they have a spare.
    It probably was an older car. A newer car, with more plastic and less metal, wouldn't have survived a crash. lol

"Lurker"

Status
    Sudden thought: could the "It Only Takes One" title have to do with the fact that the coup and the nuke happen on the same day? i.e "it only takes one" day to change everything?

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    The impact of EMP is always difficult to predict, but my guess is that Datu and Hope are safe. It was a ground burst, which would reduce the range of both EMP and short wave radiation. Plus there is a lot of mountainous terrain between them and Boulder, which should block whatever EMP effect there is.

Tbh...i was picturing a late 70s Camaro. They still have the same rumble, still made mostly of metal, and still appeal to those who know nothing of cars (datu)...heh, I may go back and check the exhaust note....i might be able to get a clearer picture of what it was exactly
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

We're Alive Cast member

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fridginators View Post
    Why all the Hope hate? Jane, you've been doing great! And besides, Hope's remarks are completely understandable when you take into account she's running for her life and King Datu the Resourceful is a terrible driver, hopeless shot and quite gullible.
    Awh thank you so much! Despite his terrible driving skills, you gotta love Datu though! Hahah

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Hate the character, respect the performer everyone. I think we've been through this once already with Jenna, let's not go through it again.

It'll only end with me getting banned.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    I hope I'm not the only person to be disappointed when Datu said he left Lady with Pegs and Kelly. I'm not a fan of either character, but i don't think Kc would kill a dog. Any ideas on how they escape?

Administrator, 14th Floor of the Tower.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First Class5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Favourite episode ever! I never thought We're Alive could get any better and it totally did! New website is great too!
    What I find really scary about the whole Zombie Apocalypse conceptual life style isn't the Zombies themselves, but rather the fact that we are now a species so disgusted with normality and society that some of us would actually prefer it" - Some Zombie Nerd

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast