User Tag List

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd

Burt DIalogue challenge

This probably wouldn't even work. but I will put it forth anyway.

A big difference between the dialog of Performance Art and Real-Life is the clear separation of lines from one speaker to another. In the world's typical media, this makes sense. One cannot ask the actor on stage or to repeat that line or have the projectionist rewind the film to play it again. This is a Podcast. As we have seen the evolution of technology, it empowers the consumer of the media. It is easy to hit the 30 second rewind or listen to the episode a few times.

In real-life people talk allover people. Stuff gets squelched, inturupted and all sorts of things. This becomes even more frantic when action and emotion rise. SO what I propose as an outsider looking in, throw some chaos in the crew's dialogue because:

1) I think the chaos in the lines will significantly add to the listener's vicarious emotions.
    2) It encourages multiple listens, because the user is unlikely to "catch" everyting the first time
    3) It leverages the new technology to empower and heighten the consumers experience.

Number Three is the wild card.

I have many years of new product development. A "Killer Ap" occurs when technology is leveraged to give the customer something they come to love that meets a need they did not even know they had. Many of the norms and conventions of Performance Arts are well-laid, but technological advancements open additional fertile fields.

Or a muck-sucking insect infested bog...

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

I obviously don't speak for Kc and crew, but I think this isn't a great idea.

When people are forced to listen harder, they shut off. They'll listen for a general theme, accept they heard what was important and move on. By overlapping dialogue and forcing the listener to go back and relisten to a section so they get everything, it's more work than most people are willing to give.

For example: A common tool in musical theater is to overlap singers (see anything Andrew Lloyd Weber has written.....ever), but they don't generally do it until you've received their intentions, objectives and subtext in the clear. Now that you know this, they can be buried into a complex harmony/melody where the words don't matter as much but the emotion does. You should never bury important information into overlapping dialogue unless you then have the characters repeat it in the clear so the audience doesn't have to work to get the story.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status

Gamertag: l VEE l
    Actually, I agree and disagree with both!

I wonder if there is the possibility for an audio version of the 24 style panels, where you hear a mass of dialogue, then it repeats, splitting away so in the first replay one voice is highlighted (with the others in the background) then repeated with a different voice highlighted etc. I reckon that could actually work, for certain situations. But rewinding isn't an option I'd like

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

My ego is not big enough to think I have any influence on the genius of KC and crew, but the multiple conversations going on in the Colony's hospital over the radios was awesome! It adds to the chaos and adds realism in my opinion.
    Last edited by Grognaurd; Aug 22nd, 2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Added colony's to clarify
    Likes scbubba liked this post

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:

/Bump

I loved the phone conversation with everybody talking! I think it really gets closer to real life. I am glad it seems to have gone over well and was enjoyed by other listeners!

Keep twisting the envelope!
    Likes Sin Angel liked this post