User Tag List

"Lurker"

Status

Hummer Military Advisor?

Hi everyone, loving the show. I found it randomly on Zune recently while looking for something new to listen too. Just got caught up from the start and now I'm fiending for new episodes like everyone else. I've never really been a big fan of the zombie genre, but this has definitely turned me (pun intended).

I was wondering, do you guys have a military advisor on the show, or did some of the cast/staff serve themselves? One thing I noticed early on is the incredible attention to detail when it comes to military references. I was in the Marines, and stunned at how accurate some of the seemingly obscure remarks were in that regard. A lot of smaller productions, especially sci-fi tend to turn everything military into some cheesy, machismo stereotype. You guys have been dead-on so far thou.

Just to be namely:

-Early on Saul mentions not being able to start the Humvee right away because he has to wait for the glow plugs to warm up. Absolutely true.

-At some point someone hands Burt the SAW (M-249 Squad Automatic Weapon) and he says he will have to get used to using it because they were new when he was just getting out of the Marines. This floored me in its obscurity. The M-249 was a replacement to the heaver M-60 which Burt would have used in Vietnam, and yes, they were just being introduced at the end of the war.

-Angel tells Kalani that they can't just "jump start" the Humvees because they have 24v batteries, and take special cables to jump. Yup, true.

-The spew of acronyms that Michael lands on Marcus....yeah. Some are obvious, like IED, but a DD-214? That's something that only someone very close to the military would know. (It's the official document they give you when your enlistment is over, in case anyone was wondering).

There are far too many more examples to list, but it's sufficient to say that this show is extremely accurate. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks. Thank you for actually portraying our military correctly, and not just developing convenient plot devices out of bad stereotypes.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Kc the writer/producing god-like person is prior service. Welcome by the way!
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Not only that, but several cast members are prior (or active!) service... including many here on the Forums. Kc himself was in the Army, I'm pretty sure, but we have all branches represented. I'm a vet myself and am extremely grateful for all millitary for putting their asses on the line to keep us safe!

"Lurker"

Status
    i have to say as the show progresses the military side is improving . some may say that disapline is lacking in these people but it is common in reserve and national guard soldiers. they are soldiers one weekend a month two weeks a year. however when these units are activated thet tighten up and are professionals.
    here is a snap shot of the saw history. The SAW was developed in the late 1970s/early 1980s to provide accurate automatic weapons fire to the fire team and squad. When actually fielded in the mid-1980s, the SAW was issued as a one-for-one replacement for the designated "automatic rifle" (M16A1) in the Fire Team. in an infantry squad the automatic rifleman was the guy who had the M16 on fully automatic fire (ref http://tech.military.com/equipment/v.../m249-saw.html). the saw did not nor ever will replace the M60 machine gun. the M240B machine gun has replaced the M60. the differance is bullet size. the saw M249 and the M16A2 fire the same bullet, a 5.56 milimeter or 223 caliber. the M60 and M240B fire a 7.62 milimeter or 30 caliber bullet. in layman terms one weapon makes bigger holes in flesh then the other. so Burt should have known how to use this weapon. i mean lets just think about all the toys he had in his gun store. he is also a gunnery sgt. thats an enlisted pay grade 7. in the army (and i think the USMC) thats a platoon sgt. in an infantry platoon this guy has to know how all the weapons in his platoon work.
    The jumper cables for military vehicals are commonly called slave cables.
    michael did do the dance most military people do when we first meat someone claiming to be a vet.and that is to ask questions. in a minute i can tell weather a person has really been in the military or not. a rule of thumb i have is never claim anything you haven't done cause if havent lived it you will be found out.
    opps ran on there a bit. sorry this is my first time joining any kind of group like this let alone posting what i think. take care

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Hey DrillSgt,

Have you looked at the Vets group here? Join up.

Crowbar Out!

"Lurker"

Status
    i will look. thanks

"Lurker"

Status
    ok like i said i am new at this. everyone should be allowed to take a stupid day. i am claiming today. please help me get into this vet group crowbar.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Semperdrunk View Post
    Hi everyone, loving the show. I found it randomly on Zune recently while looking for something new to listen too. Just got caught up from the start and now I'm fiending for new episodes like everyone else. I've never really been a big fan of the zombie genre, but this has definitely turned me (pun intended).

I was wondering, do you guys have a military advisor on the show, or did some of the cast/staff serve themselves? One thing I noticed early on is the incredible attention to detail when it comes to military references. I was in the Marines, and stunned at how accurate some of the seemingly obscure remarks were in that regard. A lot of smaller productions, especially sci-fi tend to turn everything military into some cheesy, machismo stereotype. You guys have been dead-on so far thou.

Just to be namely:

-Early on Saul mentions not being able to start the Humvee right away because he has to wait for the glow plugs to warm up. Absolutely true.

-At some point someone hands Burt the SAW (M-249 Squad Automatic Weapon) and he says he will have to get used to using it because they were new when he was just getting out of the Marines. This floored me in its obscurity. The M-249 was a replacement to the heaver M-60 which Burt would have used in Vietnam, and yes, they were just being introduced at the end of the war.

-Angel tells Kalani that they can't just "jump start" the Humvees because they have 24v batteries, and take special cables to jump. Yup, true.

-The spew of acronyms that Michael lands on Marcus....yeah. Some are obvious, like IED, but a DD-214? That's something that only someone very close to the military would know. (It's the official document they give you when your enlistment is over, in case anyone was wondering).

There are far too many more examples to list, but it's sufficient to say that this show is extremely accurate. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks. Thank you for actually portraying our military correctly, and not just developing convenient plot devices out of bad stereotypes.
    Day late and a dollar short, but when you look up KC you find his involvement with 365 Boots on the ground. http://www.amazon.com/365-Boots-Grou.../dp/B000FFJ8RG Great production.