User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are the zombies alive or undead?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alive

23 67.65%
  • Undead

5 14.71%
  • WTF BBQ

6 17.65%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    "Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked

So since I have a test on Monday I have been thinking of nothing else but this alive vs dead thread. Since CJ at the Dunbar Apartments heard Pinstripes say "Leave her" only one conclusion can be made in my opinion. Pinstripes is based on a human and the only way humans can vocalize is to move air over vocal chords. This air movement is on an exhalation phase of respiration. If the thing breathes it is alive. I think the ones underwater surface briefly to get air like any other air breathing creature that happens to be aquatic.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trubkir View Post
    So since I have a test on Monday I have been thinking of nothing else but this alive vs dead thread. Since CJ at the Dunbar Apartments heard Pinstripes say "Leave her" only one conclusion can be made in my opinion. Pinstripes is based on a human and the only way humans can vocalize is to move air over vocal chords. This air movement is on an exhalation phase of respiration. If the thing breathes it is alive. I think the ones underwater surface briefly to get air like any other air breathing creature that happens to be aquatic.

Just because a thing can move its diaphram to work its lungs does NOT mean it is alive. The dead have walked, eaten, moaned and 'sensed' our presence all through the history of zombie films/legend/stories/whatever. The ability to work their lungs is moan/talk/order a chilidog does not make them alive.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredWell Liked
    My question is if they eat and eat and eat where's all zeepoop

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post

Just because a thing can move its diaphram to work its lungs does NOT mean it is alive. The dead have walked, eaten, moaned and 'sensed' our presence all through the history of zombie films/legend/stories/whatever. The ability to work their lungs is moan/talk/order a chilidog does not make them alive.

dead things don't sleep, or make breath in cold air. I can't remember the exact time stop but it was in the Season 1 New Arrivals.

Dead things also do not adapt to chemicals like chloroform there is no need to adapt to a chemical when you're dead.
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yarri View Post
    dead things don't sleep, or make breath in cold air. I can't remember the exact time stop but it was in the Season 1 New Arrivals.

Dead things also do not adapt to chemicals like chloroform there is no need to adapt to a chemical when you're dead.
    I have two problems with that.

1. They are moving, often at an unnatural speed--as unnatural as any dead thing moving--and as we know, moving parts generate heat. That's just basic science at work there. So there is a possibility, however slight it may be, that their bodies generate a small amount of heat and any heat produced would have an affect on the air within the lung cavities. We're also talking zombies here, so it's not like there is conclusive science about how their bodies behave. Every author takes their own liberties, so who is to say for certain. If we're going to argue that dead things don't do any of the above, we're also going to argue that there are no such things as zombies. We've got to roll with the punches at some point and if we're drawing lines in the sand and base it in hard science, we have to stop talking about zombies entirely.

2. There is also no need to eat when you're dead, learn how to use tools, stand up and chase the living... but we've seen all that before as well.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Lurker"

Status
    on the one hand zombies need food, which means that they are dependant on certain bodily functions, on another burt shoots the pinstriped one twice center of mass without incident, so my theory is that they are able to utilize their digestive system, but not their circulatory, maybe making them more dependant on it?

"Scavenger"

Status
    We have enough story clues to determine that the creatures (1) breathe (2) have brain function (3) have some degree of functional circulation, implying a beating heart (4) retain some of the same metabolic functions as humans

Michael's anesthesia experiments during the GPS tagging confirm all of the above. For gas anesthesia to work you have to breathe it in, transfer it to circulation via gas exchange in the lungs, transfer the drug to the brain & body via the circulation. The creatures rapidly adapted to the drug which indicates some hepatic or renal function (again proving circulation as a corollary) as drugs are typically metabolized and excreted via a combination of those two systems.

Therefore, the creatures are not "zombies" in the traditional dead sense of the word. They are alive in some sense, just not normal humans.

This works from a physiology standpoint.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    to this..ill throw the "invasion of the body snatchers" theory.

What if the host is dead...but the virus is living..all the above could be explained
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurWA PointsBeloved25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: D4wGxxB0neS
    Higher brain functions are kaput, but those whos brain are wired differently, such as Ink who is a schizophrenic are affected differently and apparently have maintained some order of higher brain function (ha can plan and set traps, he can talk, set fires, has extrodinary reflexes (he caught an arrow and avoided a bullet more than once!)). If the host were dead, utterly and completly, than pretty much all the zombies would be the same but those like Ink are different because some original brain function has remained.

"Scavenger"

Status
    I voted Alive only because of an "incubation" period that the George Romero Zombie virus seems to have that WA lacks. During this incubation period, the carrier physically dies. WA has no such transition, it's most of the time instant. However, I put an addendum; I do believe that the carrier of the WA disease, virus, mutation, what have you, is in fact dead. In my opinion it comes with the fact that whatever mutation or effect the virus... whatever we call it (seriously KC this is getting difficult to talk about! More DETAILS causes the carrier to be gone. There's no conciousness and to me that is REALLY what being alive is. That person is gone forever. Dead.

Though I voted for alive, I just have to add my two cents that in the end they are in fact "D-E-D... DEAD!" (points if you get the reference).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast