User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points

PSN ID: HorrorHiro

Question What if WA was set in a place with pre-established groups fueled by ideologies?

Odd title, I know, but I think it hits the nail on the head pretty good...

What if WA was set somewhere where (prior to the zombie apocalypse) there were already groups of armed people, united by ideologies?

A large country like Columbia is a great example. For decades now the people of Columbia have been witnesses, partakers, and victims in the ongoing bloody civil war(s) between various groups of Left-wing Guerrillas and Right-wing Paramilitaries. India is another good example, The Naxalites (Maoist/Communist Insurgents) are still strong in certain parts of India.

Say something like WA happened in Columbia, I have no doubt in my mind that some of the larger armed groups would quickly realize the situation and take the necessary steps to adapt and well...survive, much they like they do now.

Take the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia (the FARC) for example. A once large non-state army of over 20,000 personnel. Constant fighting against the Columbian government and the Right-wing paramilitaries have roughly halfed those numbers, but the FARC is still actively growing in numbers.

One of the main opposing Right to far-right wing paramilitaries is the Black Eagles. They are thought to have organized for the sole purpose of opposing the revolutionary left-wing groups such as the FARC and the ELN (National Liberation Army of Columbia.)

Does anyone else think that a WA set in Columbia with these two (and other) groups would be...interesting to say the least?

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

If it's We're Alive related, it does not belong in Everything else. The chance for spoilers is too great. This is getting moved.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points

PSN ID: HorrorHiro
    Understandable

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

I honestly wouldn't mind WA set in Russia, anywhere in South America, or any other place where the environment would play a larger factor in survival either by way of extreme cold or heat. It would be interesting to see a WA style horror/drama play out in Egypt! Or even Ireland! I'll grant that it isn't exactly along the lines of your question, but it did spark the idea of different settings. Hmm... perhaps I should check out iTunes...
    Last edited by Osiris; Apr 23rd, 2012 at 12:54 AM.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    I honestly wouldn't mind WA set in Russia, anywhere in South America, or any other place where the environment would play a larger factor in survival either by way of extreme cold or heat. It would be interesting to see a WA style horror/drama play out in Egypt! Or even Ireland! I'll grant that it isn't exactly along the lines of your question, but it did spark the idea of different settings. Hmm... perhaps I should check out iTunes...
    are you kidding man? a big city would be one of the hardest places to survive imo. sure, for the short term scavenging supplies would be easy, but there are like no natural resources in the middle of a city, plus in the panic to get out all exits would be gridlocked, meaning that any life you did build in the city would have to stay there once you'd been fored out. plus you have to look at with no one to keep the buildings up and maintained, structural integrity becomes an issue after a while. plus with the population of big cities you have to compete for resources with other survivors. urban environments are damn hard to keep alive in when the infrastructure falls through. that said, i do agree 1,000% that it would be wesome to see WA set up in some place that is culturally and environmentally different from America.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorHiro View Post
    Odd title, I know, but I think it hits the nail on the head pretty good...

What if WA was set somewhere where (prior to the zombie apocalypse) there were already groups of armed people, united by ideologies?

A large country like Columbia is a great example. For decades now the people of Columbia have been witnesses, partakers, and victims in the ongoing bloody civil war(s) between various groups of Left-wing Guerrillas and Right-wing Paramilitaries. India is another good example, The Naxalites (Maoist/Communist Insurgents) are still strong in certain parts of India.

Say something like WA happened in Columbia, I have no doubt in my mind that some of the larger armed groups would quickly realize the situation and take the necessary steps to adapt and well...survive, much they like they do now.

Take the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia (the FARC) for example. A once large non-state army of over 20,000 personnel. Constant fighting against the Columbian government and the Right-wing paramilitaries have roughly halfed those numbers, but the FARC is still actively growing in numbers.

One of the main opposing Right to far-right wing paramilitaries is the Black Eagles. They are thought to have organized for the sole purpose of opposing the revolutionary left-wing groups such as the FARC and the ELN (National Liberation Army of Columbia.)

Does anyone else think that a WA set in Columbia with these two (and other) groups would be...interesting to say the least?
    true, the criminal organizations would have a fighting chance, but the average citizens wouldn't. the US is one of the few places in the world where people are able to arm themselves easily (relatively speaking). baring handgun and "assault rifle" regulations, anyone 18 and older can go pick up a shotgun or long rifle in most walmarts. for the average citizens in most countries, self defense is very difficult, if not impossible, in the face of an imminent lethal threat.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Another twist would be to tell the WA story in a place like Switzerland, where there is a large military reserve systems and members keep their weapons and ammo at home.

I imagine that Swiss cities might hold out better than their French, German or Italian neighbors, since every adult male has an assault rifle or a machinegun at home, there are neighborhood-based military units, there is a network of supply bunkers in the cities and throughout the surrounding mountains, and all of the key passes and tunnels are fortified and rigged for easy closure.

Humans would have a fighting chance during the early stages, places that were overrun could be contained and places that weren't could be defended. Then they'd have to hold the borders in the face of massive attacks from the overrun European continent.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    are you kidding man? a big city would be one of the hardest places to survive imo. sure, for the short term scavenging supplies would be easy, but there are like no natural resources in the middle of a city, plus in the panic to get out all exits would be gridlocked, meaning that any life you did build in the city would have to stay there once you'd been fored out. plus you have to look at with no one to keep the buildings up and maintained, structural integrity becomes an issue after a while. plus with the population of big cities you have to compete for resources with other survivors. urban environments are damn hard to keep alive in when the infrastructure falls through. that said, i do agree 1,000% that it would be wesome to see WA set up in some place that is culturally and environmentally different from America.
    While those points are true, there is still creature comforts available in cities. Soft, warm beds, electricity (if you can get it), shelter with relative security, scavengable resources, etc. I'm talking about surviving in a wasteland--literally. Some place where the closest house is a hundred miles away across a frozen tundra. All you have is a tent and a box of matches. Tell me how that would be easier to survive in than a relatively empty L.A. or Florida?
    joint-point-counter-joint

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    You and I are in agreement in this. As soon as you can get out get out of the city.

While those points are true, there is still creature comforts available in cities. Soft, warm beds, electricity (if you can get it), shelter with relative security, scavengable resources, etc. I'm talking about surviving in a wasteland--literally. Some place where the closest house is a hundred miles away across a frozen tundra. All you have is a tent and a box of matches. Tell me how that would be easier to survive in than a relatively empty L.A. or Florida?
    Rotting bodies (and there are going to be dead things alot of dead things) = all sorts of funky diseases. Yes finding supplies would be easier but then again those supplies have a shelf life. My idea use the city as a supermarket, get gear together, a host of starter seeds for a nice garden and head to the country. Clean air, a nice bit of ground and go rural. Also wouldn't you say that a rural location would have fewer of the infected to deal with?
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    it also depends on seasons, russia can be quite hospitible in the warmer months. of course if you were in the middle of the wastes you would likely be saying, "what zombie apocalypse?" in the middle of the frozen wastes of russia, there wouldn't be enough people for the ZA to take hold and have an impact, conversely if you were in the jungles of south america, there is an abundunce of natural resources and enough people in towns that the ZA would drive you to the wild. from there survival is just a matter of know how, but if you live in the jungle you already proly have that know how.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast