User Tag List

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Hi there,

no, I have not run through all of the posts here. Because I am not here to argue with anyone's opinion, no matter how right or wrong his or her opinion may be. And I don't intent to restart any fire. I just want to speak up for my own opinion - now that I finished listening to all available chapters of WA for the first time.

Kalani. Actually, for a long time I did not think anyhing about him. He seemed to be one of those guys not just saying yes or no, but who kept to his personal opinion; yet he did many things - especially - in favor of "The Tower", although his intentions were very different.
    I really did not understand why he dropped the heli into the rig; and I honestly had no clue about so many of his activities. But when chapter #27 was "aired"/ "podcasted", I really started to feel sorry for him and for everything he went through, because all of sudden everything made sense. Yes, his actions were wrong in many ways. His malicious attempts to push The Tower into a defenseless situation and therefore providing a very good opportunity for the Mallers to attack; him shooting the Brit in order to not getting uncovered ... Man, no clue how I would react to someone doing this around me - no matter what his motivation was. And truth is: I even would not know, if I were strong enough to put so many lives at risk just in order to feed my hope of getting my own child back alive.

And still I understand him.

I don't know the full understanding of "pass" in this context of this forum-topic. But I do understand one thing: the ideas behind "probation". Kalani did many things wrong - endangering others, but in selfinterest or selfishness? But he had his lectures and he found his peace with himself when he wrote down things for others to know. He payed a high price for what he did wrong in the past and only for one purpose actually: helping others, at first his child, later The Tower-folk. He helped others and he died doing so ... What he did wrong cannot be undone; and there is a heavy burden that weighs on what is left of him, therefore a heavy burden on the memories of Kalani; but there also is the awareness that he never acted solely for his personal gain and that he was prepared and desperate enough to pay back the debt he forced upon himself ... And so he did with his life.

Who would be willing to do what he did?

I felt very sorry for what happened to Kalani.
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Oh shiiiiiiiit here we go again!
    joint-point-counter-joint

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Oh shiiiiiiiit here we go again!
    No worries.
    a) The Kalani-topic seems to get old.
    b) Look at my signature ...

edit: Why wouldn't my signature show up in this posting???
    edit2: All of a sudden ...
    Last edited by LiamKerrington; Aug 6th, 2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: just wondering ...
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurWA PointsBeloved25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: D4wGxxB0neS
    Any thoughts/ideas regarding at what point in the story do you think Kalani stopped writing in his journal so suddenly (per Michaels reading in Ch 28 Part 1 @ 28:30)?
    K, I know he's on his way or soon on his way to get the helicoptor at LAX, but what made him stop writing at "This here is my failsafe. You know the truth now, you know what he would have done. Regardless of what I did before I'm......."
    Last edited by Robzombie; Aug 23rd, 2012 at 10:08 AM.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robzombie View Post
    Any thoughts/ideas regarding at what point in the story do you think Kalani stopped writing in his journal so suddenly (per Michaels reading in Ch 28 Part 1 @ 28:30)?
    K, I know he's on his way or soon on his way to get the helicoptor at LAX, but what made him stop writing at "This here is my failsafe. You know the truth now, you know what he would have done. Regardless of what I did before I'm......."
    Previous night's taco dinner. Just ask Britt how true that is.

"Scavenger"

Status
    I mostly liked him throughout he did what he had to do but I always liked pippin (even if he was kind of an ass) but kalanis interaction with the other tower makes him very complex to me. A free pass? No probably not, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same.

"Lurker"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    No, they died specifically because of Kalani. HE killed every single person that has died because of the attack by the mallers. Had he not lead them there, had he not betrayed them, had he not made damn sure that they couldn't fight back they all died. Would they have died later on? Maybe. All we know is that they ARE dead because of the actions of Kalani. Yes, protect your child and all, but only a moron would think that they Mallers would hold up their end of the deal. Kalani was stupid for believing they would and because of that everything that sits now is because of him. He can never be forgiven for what he did, fighting for his daughter or not. The second they took Hanna away from him, she was as good as dead. Only an idiot (in his shoes, not anyone here) would think otherwise and his actions are the sole reason everyone that is dead or missing is gone. The only reason. Crashing the helo into the rig wasn't because of his desire to save everyone, he said that he barely tolerated everyone even after all the work they were doing to try and save as many people as they could. Kalani was looking out for himself and Hanna the whole time, no one else. Thinking he could save Hanna was complete stupidity. He saw how they treated everyone and for cripes sake they were all murders and violent criminals, how could he possibly think they would hold up their end of the deal? He saw first hand what they were capable of, Scratch was hell bent on killing every single one of the Tower residents because Pegs killed her brother in self defense. Scratch attacked innocent people and they merely defended themselves and she goes on a murderous rampage. Kalani should have known right then that Hanna was as good as dead. He was an irrational, idiotic, backstabbing moron and he deserved what he got. Good riddance to him, they were vastly better off before he showed up. Hell, they saved his life at the risk of their own at the Arena and he paid them back with betrayal. Kid or no kid, he was a dangerous idiot that got almost everyone killed while insulting them and plotting behind their backs. He justly died, but he should have suffered for it in the process.
    Think about what you're talking about just for a second and tell me you could stare your daughter in the face as she's being taken from you, and tell her "You're dead, and I'm not going to get myself killed trying to change that." You think there's a choice there? Samantha was convinced that there was nothing she or Datu could do to escape. Maybe if she'd actually tried she would be alive, keeping Datu from doing the exact thing on the Tower roof during "The War." If you saw even a glimpse of hope in survival, you'd take it if you were mentally stable. Some people's will to keep their kids alive is even stronger
    Likes deperez130 liked this post

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Man I keep looking at the dates on yall's posts and i feel like i missed out. I just found and finished this series and have missed all the conversations . But Kalani was responsible for the deaths of the people in the tower, but it was about his daughter and I cant fault him for that. But i didn't like the character from the start. The only redeeming thing that earned some respect was the sacrifice he made by destroying the tanker.

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurWA PointsBeloved25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: D4wGxxB0neS
    Quote Originally Posted by deperez130 View Post
    Man I keep looking at the dates on yall's posts and i feel like i missed out. I just found and finished this series and have missed all the conversations . But Kalani was responsible for the deaths of the people in the tower, but it was about his daughter and I cant fault him for that. But i didn't like the character from the start. The only redeeming thing that earned some respect was the sacrifice he made by destroying the tanker.
    Well better late than never i suppose. Pretty good stuff right. If you have only listened through it once then you should give it another go, or several more listens too if you enjoy it that much, especially during the break. I think we're all in for a hell of a fourth season.

I always liked Kalani, well actually i just dont hate anyone. I think each character has its role to play and people are all different. I didnt like how he was treated. He seemed to be an underdog that tried his best to contribute and ask the hard questions yet was never accepted. He did what he did, and without the relationship that we as listeners have with the other characters, it should not be so difficult to understand where his own priorities lay...with his daughter.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast