User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "Gatherer"

Status
    I agree with you jiwasz, the plot could be drastically changed if turned into a show or movie, and I think the comic could be a good idea if done right. Just as long as the story remains the same although the image that I have of a zombie could be changed if it is made into a comic.

"Lurker"

Status
    I've been thinking of doing a machinima using left 4 dead 2 with the audio of we're alive it seems very similar just gotta create some maps and some new character models.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Couple points I wanted to add to the conversation:

When I was getting my audio/radio degree in college, my professor did an in class exercise about the power of the spoken word. We listened to an episode of Prairie Home Companion and specifically one of the "News from Lake Wobegone" segments. The segment was 12 minutes long and we listened to the first 6 minutes with all the lights out and just listening to Garrison Keillor. Then half way through we started to watch the PBS broadcast. When we analyzed it after, we all immediately said as soon as we saw the picture, our imagination turned off. We had originally been creating the mental image of the story in our head, but as soon as we had something in front of us, we struggled against what we were seeing to create the mental image of what he was saying. Obviously the same thing would happen with any visual representation of the We're Alive story.

But adaptations from books happen all the time. Hell, the theater company I work for does basically nothing but adapt novels into plays. You will always lose something in translation because you lose some capabilities of the original medium. A movie based on a novel can no longer give you 4 paragraphs of someones thought process, but because you can now see an actor playing the role that actor can wrap up those 4 paragraphs in a tilt of the head and a raised eyebrow.

Best examples I can think of that everyone would probably know: From the last hour and a half of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire film all the way through Deathly Hallows part 1 I've been very pleased with the adaptation. I feel like what they did to cut and streamline vs. expand and elaborate was perfect for the stories. But I hated what they did with the first 3.5 films. They did too much cutting and streamlining but didn't take advantage of the extras they could have inserted to make the story better.

If there were to be a We're Alive movie, or animated feature or what have you, yes: We would lose something in translation from a radio drama. But if streamlined and modified in the appropriate way you can really gain something.

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    I'd prefer We're Alive to stay the way it is. I like Jim Gleason's voice and I couldn't picture anyone else doing any justice to the character. Jim Gleason is Michael and no one else could get away with it now. It'd just be too weird. If it were animated in some way so the cast could stay the same, I'd definitely watch that. But I'm too attached to the actors who play the characters to see someone else playing them and not sounding exactly the same.

"Lurker"

Status
    I would be against an adaptation. We're alive is just an audio drama plain and simple. That's the medium it works under, the characters are perfectly cast, and a movie/tv show would butcher the plot.
    We're alive manages to make zombies seem more like part of the environment than anything. It allows the characters to get more development, and more interesting plots to form. 28 days later being the exception, no movies are really able to pull that off properly.

I do however, think it would be really interesting to see a show/movie based in the same zombie-verse with a different cast/plotline. If the writers were allowed free reign on the script of course. That would be a pretty damn good movie.

edit: as an added comment, doing something like that would probably put a lot of strain on the producers of the show. Unless they left their normal jobs to take care of the movie/show the podcast would probably be put on hold or completely scrapped to take care of the new project. That would be a very very sad day. Something on par with the day your closest friends get eaten by flesh eating neighbors right before your very eyes.
    Last edited by Hikaro; Feb 6th, 2011 at 04:42 AM.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    A TV series would be better I think. There's just so much information to cover for to be just a movie.

"Smart One"

Status
    I really think We're Alive's radio play format sets it apart from other zombie fiction out there. I'm not sure I'd like to see a film version. Perhaps an online comic book or animation might be an idea, though.
    I don't keep it loaded, son. You'll have to find ammo as you go.

"Lurker"

Status
    maybe you can do both? like for every chapter have 1 movie and for every part have the audio? that would boost the imagination to the max

To tell you the truth, I think that (sort of like evslarg said) if somebody animated the podcast and simply left in the audio that's already there, I would be all for it. As long as it doesn't interfere in any way whether it be adapting it to the video format or in the upcoming with the podcast as it is and just added visuals to the audio, I think it would be really awesome.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    I really like the comic book idea. As long as it stayed true to form. The Walking Dead comic series is fantastic. Yet the t.v. show is a let down. I enjoy listening to the podcast and visualizing what's going on myself. And the quality of the podcast is so good, it makes visualizing everything easy!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast