User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra1th View Post
    ohhh ok, I was expecting a transplant of the twitter sidebar that was on the front page. I still think that it might be a good idea to give social media it's own tab and just have a larger, drawn out version of facebook and twitter so that the forum could be better integrated into both of those outlets.
    Yeah, nothing too big.
    BUT, I will say we are looking for ways to get the CMS Articles to appear just like they do on the home page... Once we get that done... Home page be gone!

PS. I dunno, is this beneficial? http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=81363

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    Also, for the Tech-Savy amongst us... would there be any benefit to getting this? : http://www.vbseo.com/en/feature-matrix/

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    Not to change the subject totally. But with the actual user apartment pages, would it be possible to have the entire background (ie: the header artwork as well) be modifiable for each "resident"? My thinking here is a default "apartment" that members can swap out to say, their own room/ computer desk/cave whathaveyou. That would be a simple way to give members a bit more control over their own page without affecting the overall feel of the forum, that seems to be the biggest issue with most ideas thrown around..

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    I drew a quickie mock up of my idea for a forum home page redesign. This is just an example so forgive the quality.

Front Forum Page before the User (aka Resident) logs in:

TOP BAR
    This represents the lobby of the Tower. The actual image would show part of the room and service desk for people to check in and get their room key. The WA logo would blend into the image and the word "Community" would be splashed on the wall behind the desk as if someone wrote it to give the scene more depth and just plain look creepy. (like the church in the beginning of 28 Days Later)

MENU
    Self-explanatory. "Bill's Log" is the Wiki. Each button has a roll-over animation (simple or complex, w/e you want). Example will be in my next image link.

TICKER
    The space containing the WND logo is a slideshow that would flip to different advertisements for WA community activities, news, ect (sort of like the iTunes Store) and link to the forum/info page that they're promoting. The little round buttons can be clicked to manually scroll through the ads. This will catch the eye and keep people on the page long enough to view the next section.

FEATURED JOURNAL
    My favorite part! I figure we can alternate ads for the blogs randomly every Monday (or daily) so each writer gets fair exposure. Bloggers can create their own logo for the front page or use the "standard sticky" shown in the picture if they have none.

OPEN SPACE [right]
    This is just additional space to promote events that need the most attention. It's stationary and clickable.

MISC
    Self-explanatory. Social media links, Donate button, Webmaster contact, and there's room for a Search feature if desired.

After the Resident Logs in:

TOP BAR
    The hotel room photo is just a placeholder for the WA art. I'm not quite sure what plans are for the "furniture" idea so I made it into a simple banner. I'm assuming the whole layout after clicking INTO the forums area will be different. The right corner would contain the chosen room number, profile stuff, mailbox (rather than Notifications), and 'check-out' button. Example of a place for the Search bar is above the menu.

TICKER
    It's ticked to the next ad!

MENU BAR
    Basic drop down menu. Right now I only see Bill's Log having a use for it. The Journals could have one too but I don't know how difficult that is to edit if we add/remove blogs alot.

FEATURED JOURNAL
    For writer's with ads.
    A We're Alive Blog For the Serial Overanalyzer ->> The Spoiler's Reveiw <<- Spoiling You One Chapter at a Time. Updates every new episode!

The Voice of Narf FM

Status

Gamertag: ComradeNarf PSN ID: ComradeNarf
    Those are some really great ideas, Zombiehead! Even though there's a pretty detailed background, it still doesn't distract from the different section. I especially like the idea of the "Resident Name" and "Room Key."
    Angel Fan Club Haiku:
    Angel is the best.
    Quick! Leap through that window there!
    Ew, flat behemoth.

I'm that guy that everyone knows is here, but no one talks to.

Status

Gamertag: itsallgoodie Wii Code: No idea but I have one.
    I think that the designs are a great start but the minimalist in me is crying, there is no negative space in the designs, this means that the user feels like there is too much stuff being thrown towards them. Its a daunting task to find what you are looking for and the page feels a bit cluttered. I also like the idea of the pages in the BG but it is hard to tell if you should try and read them or not, and then you have a "featured Journal" and that stands out but has a very similar look to the pages in the BG and this makes it confusing to decide which one to read. Im planning on doing a "mockup" -- i am planning on using some of your ideas but putting my own take on them, obv. at the end of the day we need to go with the one everyone likes the best.

sorry if that seemed harsh it was only meant to be constructive criticism.
    The word 'almost' is the longest in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order, other than Aegilops but no ones knows what the hell that means, so it doesn't count.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    No need to apologize Goodie, I welcome a critical eye. The whole idea of a group project is to collaborate some functional ideas and decide on what works best so I tossed a few of mine together in a few hours as a place to start. Even I'm not satisfied with the way it is so feel free to take any idea you like and improve on it. Graphics, design, layout, all of that needs to be discussed and not just from my own example. If there's something a person doesn't like, speak up or make it better. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    A We're Alive Blog For the Serial Overanalyzer ->> The Spoiler's Reveiw <<- Spoiling You One Chapter at a Time. Updates every new episode!

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

I agree with Goodie. The design is definitely awesome and looks great, but it does seem like a whole lot all at once. Maybe instead of words on the BG pages, it's just the blood splatter....maybe that would make it a little less busy and pop everything out a little better. I don't know, I are not a graphic designer.

I do really like the top bar of the welcome page before signing in, I also really like the look of the "apartment door" and the lay out of messages, blog etc.

And if I had my druthers (which I probably won't get because I used the word "druthers") I'd say that Bill's Log for the wiki is too confusing. I think using "Intel" puts it in a military setting, and it covers perfectly what a wiki does: has intel on a whole bunch of stuff. Maybe we could look into redesigning the wiki templates to that more of a government looking classified document...that would also add a huge step to the redesign.....maybe I should keep my fingers off the keyboard and my thoughts to myself....
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Wait...What??

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries

Raptr ID: WTF is a Raptr??
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    And if I had my druthers (which I probably won't get because I used the word "druthers") I'd say that Bill's Log for the wiki is too confusing. I think using "Intel" puts it in a military setting, and it covers perfectly what a wiki does: has intel on a whole bunch of stuff. Maybe we could look into redesigning the wiki templates to that more of a government looking classified document...that would also add a huge step to the redesign.....maybe I should keep my fingers off the keyboard and my thoughts to myself....

Keep the ideas coming. This is all open for discussion. If we get a solid name for the wiki put it on the timeline thread. (I also like the military angle)
    Wouldn't you know it... The first time I let a girl into my life and she trys to eat me. -- Columbus

"Builder"

Status
    Yeah I like the military angle, but not the Bill's log I actually had to sit and think who's Bill and how does this relate. Also I agree that it looks a bit busy but it could still work if you use the "narrow escape" design flow. Burt's Intel might be better? or Tower Intel and really you could use just about any name just make sure to utilize icons that signify what the area is. For the wiki, use folders (maybe charred and blood splattered).

I also think we need to stick with darker colors being more prominent because that will make the apartment graphics and room numbers stand out that much more.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant: if I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven Such is the rule of honor.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast